Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Compass tires/Rene Herse vs Panaracer (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1266740)

wallHax 01-26-23 04:21 AM

Compass tires/Rene Herse vs Panaracer

Hi,

As i have recently discovered, that the tire manufacturer for Ultradynamico tires is Panaracer (Correct me if i an wrong), i was wondering if the same holds true for Rene Herse tires.
Given that they are bananas expensive for the hobby rider, would there be a reason to consider them over my current favourites Panaracer Gravelkings other than curiousity, if they were produced by the same company anyways (i.e. Panaracer)?

KR
WH

jadmt 01-26-23 06:15 AM

yes Panaracer makes Rene Herse tires but that does not mean they are exactly the same. I personally run both ie Rene Herse RTP and Naches Pass tires and Panaracer Pasela and tservs and can not really tell great difference between them as far as how they feel when riding..looks are obviously different.

chaadster 01-26-23 06:25 AM

Yes.

I have tires from all of those, and they are obviously different. If only looking at tread pattern, one can see that’s true, but there are other construction differences as well, for example, the Herse extralight casing is observably different from the Panaracer Gravelking slick.

As for whether differences make Herse and Ultradynamico worth considering, well, that depends on what kind of cyclist you are. Some cats roll around on department store rubber their whole lives, blissfully ignorant of the possibilities.

wallHax 01-26-23 07:08 AM

Fair enough. But would it make a noticeable difference to the curious cyclist? I do run my Panaracers tubeless and the price of admission is steep.
Money no object, yes i defo would run them immediately. However, if i were to run them with inner tubes, would i even benefit from thei "supposedly" supple casing?

ofajen 01-26-23 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by wallHax (Post 22781215)
Fair enough. But would it make a noticeable difference to the curious cyclist? I do run my Panaracers tubeless and the price of admission is steep.
Money no object, yes i defo would run them immediately. However, if i were to run them with inner tubes, would i even benefit from thei "supposedly" supple casing?

Probably. I wore out a set of RTPs and ran them with tubes. They rolled great, better than anything except a Speed King. When it came time to replace, I put a Race King in front and and a Speed King in back. The Continental tires go on and off easily, while the RTPs were horrible to deal with. YMMV.

Otto

pdlamb 01-26-23 08:59 AM

In reverse order, until late last year the Compass tires were mostly tube-ful; people trying tubeless reported the sidewalls were too porous, or had to be refilled with sealant shortly after installation. The marketing materials and people who believed them were still full of praise for the casing. So go ahead and try it with a tube (if you decide to try them at all).

I think it's worth asking how sensitive you are to various tires' construction? If the lightest Gravelking feel like the heaviest Schwalbe Marathon to you, you're not likely to notice how nice the Compass tires might be. OTOH if a Gravelking SK is intolerably heavier and slower than the straight Gravelking, then you might appreciate the Compass tires. I won't go so far as to say the difference between tires is all a placebo based on marketing, but riders' expectations seem to factor heavily into their experiences.

Disclaimer: my Barlow Pass pair is still in the box since Christmas, waiting for a chance and some decent weather to ride some gravel.

himespau 01-26-23 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 22781311)
In reverse order, until late last year the Compass tires were mostly tube-ful; people trying tubeless reported the sidewalls were too porous, or had to be refilled with sealant shortly after installation. The marketing materials and people who believed them were still full of praise for the casing. So go ahead and try it with a tube (if you decide to try them at all).

I think it's worth asking how sensitive you are to various tires' construction? If the lightest Gravelking feel like the heaviest Schwalbe Marathon to you, you're not likely to notice how nice the Compass tires might be. OTOH if a Gravelking SK is intolerably heavier and slower than the straight Gravelking, then you might appreciate the Compass tires. I won't go so far as to say the difference between tires is all a placebo based on marketing, but riders' expectations seem to factor heavily into their experiences.

Disclaimer: my Barlow Pass pair is still in the box since Christmas, waiting for a chance and some decent weather to ride some gravel.

Good point. all of us are different in our sensitivity levels.

Fahrenheit531 01-26-23 09:58 AM

I cringe and grumble every time I have to replace my Rene Herse tires.
And then I buy them.
Yes, they're that good.

(I run Stampede Pass 700x32, ultralight casing, skinwall, with tubes.)

Germany_chris 01-26-23 10:24 AM

I have Rene Herse tires on all my bikes

Polaris OBark 01-26-23 10:29 AM

I have them on most of my bikes, with no regrets (other that the hole in my wallet).

They are quite open about the fact that Panaracer makes them to the Rene Herse spec.

Other tire manufacturers are beginning to emulate them, so there might be deals to be had.

They are about the same price as better mountain bike tires.

Polaris OBark 01-26-23 10:38 AM

my Barlow Pass pair is still in the box since Christmas, waiting for a chance and some decent weather to ride some gravel.

My Barlow Pass tires are the narrowest tires I ride on road on my main ride.

(This would be true for my other road bike if they would fit.)

Sy Reene 01-26-23 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 22781190)
Yes.

I have tires from all of those, and they are obviously different. If only looking at tread pattern, one can see that’s true, but there are other construction differences as well, for example, the Herse extralight casing is observably different from the Panaracer Gravelking slick.

I've wondered though how much difference between a Rene Herse Cayuse Pass and a Panarace Agilist. Can still get the 2-packs of the Agilists for $78 at Excel
https://www.excelsports.com/panarace...ad-tire-2-pack

himespau 01-26-23 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22781462)
I've wondered though how much difference between a Rene Herse Cayuse Pass and a Panarace Agilist. Can still get the 2-packs of the Agilists for $78 at Excel

I bought a pair of those in tan wall when they were on sale somewhere in the $60 range. Still haven't built up the wheels I planned to put them on and almost all of my riding is on the trainer these days, so I haven't worn out any other tires to test them. Still have some old Veloflex Masters for a similar reason (haven't built wheels "worthy" of them - got a couple pairs of really nice hubs waiting for me to buy some rims and lace them up into something special).

phrantic09 01-26-23 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22781403)
My Barlow Pass tires are the narrowest tires I ride on road on my main ride.

(This would be true for my other road bike if they would fit.)

Going TL or with Tubes? The biggest thing keeping me from getting a set is a fear of blowoff on hookless rims

icemilkcoffee 01-26-23 04:54 PM

Another option is Soma tires, also made by Panaracer. They have sales regularly where you can buy their tires for a good discount. I bought some Soma Supple Vitesse SL tires for something like $25 each. I have never ridden on Rene Hearse tires but I can say those Soma tires were very supple and comfortable indeed.

chaadster 01-26-23 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22781462)

It wouldn’t behoove either brand for them to be forthcoming about such things, so who knows…beyond the obvious differences in appearance, weight, and size designations.

The 2pk price does seem quite nice for a superlight road tire…if one is running tubes. I don’t, but there’s a TLR version, too, however I’ve had Panaracer Race Evo A tires in the past and was not a fan of those, so I’m a little reticent to go back to the well with Panaracer, but admittedly, that experience was probably 15 years ago, so change is reasonable to expect.

veganbikes 01-26-23 09:33 PM

Panaracer makes a lot of tires for a lot of different companies but not all of them are the same. A company will likely say this is what we want and they make it. Ronnie Romance probably wants a different tire than Jan Heine in some way or another but they both know they want Panaracer quality.

squirtdad 01-27-23 02:01 PM

Good Quality tires (expensive) are IME the single most effective thing you can buy to improve comfort and handling on a bike.
this is one area where you get what you pay for and should look for sales as there are often deals to be had

here is my experience with 28mm tires, tubes road bike, 230 lb rider, ride at higher tire pressures (i.e 95 psi for gravel kings)

Rene herse: have a pair of the 28mm chinook pass, but have not mounted yet, waiting for new bike these will go on. but comparing to gravel kings, the build is different.

all in 28 mm
Conti gp5000: great tire, super ride and handling. I had really good luck with only one flat in 2000 miles, until I hit metal that sliced through the tread
Vittoria Corsa G+: ok tire, super ride and handling, but i was averaging a flat every 110 miles, so they had to go
Gravel Kings: great tire, surprise to me in that the ride and handling was close to the GP5000. I have these on 2 bikes, one of which I rode in the 2021 Cino......worked really well there also

of course tubular ride better than these

in multiple threads over the last few years, the consensus has been: darn the rene herse/compass tires are expensive, but the do work as well as they are hyped

GhostRider62 01-27-23 03:20 PM

I used to use them in may different sizes but only in extralight casings. In my testing, if you run heavy butyl tubes, you are wasting your money. For whatever reason the extralegere versions run much better with latex tubes. I stopped running them tubeless due to sloppy fit and blowoff. I don't find them worth the money. There are faster, cheaper, more durable, and longer lasting tires for my application. So, if want to use them with latex tubes? Maybe. $90-96 per tire plus shipping is steep. The casings are so, so supple. Just don't pinch them to check tire pressure, that popping noise of ruptured threads can be unnerving.

t2p 01-27-23 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 22781190)
Some cats roll around on department store rubber their whole lives, blissfully ignorant of the possibilities.

that description fit a guy in our road group years ago - he rode relatively inexpensive (but durable ?) tires

one weekend we fitted his bike with 23mm Michelin Super Comp HD’s and latex tubes and he thought he had gone to Heaven

he insisted the combination of Campy hubs and the Super Comp’s enabled him to coast uphills lol

t2p 01-27-23 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 22781181)
yes Panaracer makes Rene Herse tires but that does not mean they are exactly the same. I personally run both ie Rene Herse RTP and Naches Pass tires and Panaracer Pasela and tservs and can not really tell great difference between them as far as how they feel when riding..looks are obviously different.

beside the RH Naches Pass (26”) - what other comparable tires are available ... lightweight 26” tan sidewall ... ?

I have Maxxis DTH on one bike - Panaracer Pasela on another bike ... also have a pair of Schwalbe Billy Bonkers set aside

jadmt 01-27-23 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22782791)
beside the RH Naches Pass (26”) - what other comparable tires are available ... lightweight 26” tan sidewall ... ?

I have Maxxis DTH on one bike - Panaracer Pasela on another bike ... also have a pair of Schwalbe Billy Bonkers set aside

not sure what you are asking but RH has rat trap passes, Naches Passes and elk passes as well as humptulips ridge.

t2p 01-27-23 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 22782841)
not sure what you are asking but RH has rat trap passes, Naches Passes and elk passes as well as humptulips ridge.

lightweight 26” relativity smooth - similar to Naches Pass

jadmt 01-27-23 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22782960)
lightweight 26” relativity smooth - similar to Naches Pass

well rat trap pass and elk pass are both smooth and the panaracer pasela and tserv are pretty smooth too.

Lombard 01-28-23 05:17 PM

I have run both the Panaracer GK Slicks and the Rene Herse Extralights which are supposed to be ooooooh so smooth. I honestly cannot tell the difference other than the Rene Herse tires make my wallet lighter.