Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Budget MTB as Winter bike? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1125566)

taz777 10-20-17 12:34 AM

Budget MTB as Winter bike?

I'm looking to get a budget MTB as a Winter bike, solely to ride in inclement weather so save wear and tear on my 'good' bikes.

What would work better - a cheap new bike or a more upmarket used bike?

There's a few good deals around on new bikes as shops try to clear 2017 stock, which is why I was thinking about a budget new MTB.

Carbonfan.com 10-20-17 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by taz777 (Post 19940835)
I'm looking to get a budget MTB as a Winter bike, solely to ride in inclement weather so save wear and tear on my 'good' bikes.

There's a few good deals around on new bikes as shops try to clear 2017 stock, which is why I was thinking about a budget new MTB.

New alloy bike of Giant, cheapest version, just around 130 dollars. Take one, not bad.
I don't like a used bike personally.

taz777 10-20-17 05:53 AM

^ Which Giant model is that?

buffalo4life 10-24-17 05:11 PM

Both are great options because both result in you getting abother bike. I would go used to get better components. Last year I found a 2001 Trek 4500 in good condition for $50. This year I found a late 80s Jamis rigid bike with exage components throughout. Obviously if you go new you can go to the shop tomorrow and have it.

Ronsonic 10-24-17 08:18 PM

I wouldn't go with a new cheap mountain bike. Get a cool old relic like Buffalo did with a rigid fork, put some smooth-ish tires on and tune it up. There are a lot of them out there for not much money and these are some great bikes.

My utility / commute bike, Fetch, is an 88 HooKooeKoo with fenders and a rack and Kenda K-Rad tires.

prj71 10-25-17 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by taz777 (Post 19940835)

Walmart has what you need.

rumrunn6 10-25-17 07:24 AM

used bikes are great. I love it when someone thinks they are going to like biking, buy a new bike & change their mind, then unload it for cheap. bikes like that have been ridden very little & are good as new. it's sad, kinda, but I'm glad to take it off their hands! :D

the flip side is, sometimes you have to shop for a long time before you find such a great deal. you might look at the used market near you & nearby cities, maybe even states. then if nothing amazing pops up, go get a new one

taz777 10-25-17 08:40 AM

I'm not in a rush - just looking for something to see the winter through. Ironically, I've just sold my old hybrid that I could have used!

rumrunn6 10-25-17 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by taz777 (Post 19951652)
Ironically, I've just sold my old hybrid that I could have used!

lol, that was me 2 springs ago, prepping for a big home insulation project, sold a bunch o bikes. then in the fall, got hooked on gravel & proceeded to buy 2 more used bikes :crash:

HerrKaLeun 10-25-17 09:58 PM

If you have salt and snow (or sludge) consider aluminum frame over steel for rust in case you were thinking of a cheap steel bike.
You also won't need suspension (suspensions don't like salty sludge). Maybe an old rigid MTB? Or a hybrid that can take wider tires.
If it has fenders, it should have enough clearance between tires and fender for the snow.

dgodave 10-27-17 11:38 AM

Used mid level rigid fork MTB in correct size.

Kanegon 11-28-17 05:22 PM

I ride the same bike all year long. This year, I’m trying knobbier tires for slush and ice, but with fenders and the occasional hose down, there’s no reason to compromise. If you consider the additional challenge posed by adverse weather, it makes more sense to ride the lighter, better handling bike. I’ve never understood the “beater” concept, even in NYC. Life is short, ride them to their fullest!

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/f...20AM.jpeg?dl=0

prj71 11-29-17 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kanegon (Post 20020313)
I’ve never understood the “beater” concept, even in NYC. Life is short, ride them to their fullest!

Then maybe you don't understand how harsh road salt is on the bike components.

Kanegon 11-29-17 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by prj71 (Post 20021075)
Then maybe you don't understand how harsh road salt is on the bike components.

I’ve seen plenty of salt riding in the Northeast, it’s never dissuaded me. Beater bikes around here is mostly about theft, not wear and tear.

rumrunn6 11-29-17 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kanegon (Post 20020313)
same bike all year long

cool fenders & saddle :thumb:

prj71 11-29-17 08:48 AM

A friend of mine decided to use one of his nice bikes as a winter commuter. Started using it in December and by March the chain and cassette were toast along with a few other corroded components from the road salt.

He ended up replacing all of the drivetrain components and said "I'll never do that again"

Thus the reason for using a cheap bike with cheap components as a winter beater.

matimeo 11-29-17 11:42 AM

I have been in the same boat looking for a winter mountain bike- mostly because I came across a nearly free set of studded mountain bike tires and thought would be cool to be able to handle the snow if we get hit with a bunch again this year. Plus I don't have a mountain bike and thought that would open up some other riding opportunities.
The problem I run into in the used bike market is there is very little in the budget range that offer disc brakes, which is important to me. After destroying several sets of wheels commuting in constant winter rain, I decided to never compromise with rim brakes on any of my bikes going forward. I like too much the advantage of discs.
So I ended up going with a $300 offering from bikes direct that has a good aluminum frame, decent alivio components and a fork that eventually I'll upgrade to a rigid when I find the right deal.