Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is road bike weight limit determined by frame or rim and tires? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1287599)

jzr756 01-15-24 02:52 PM

Is road bike weight limit determined by frame or rim and tires?

As the title. Did vintage road bikes have a weight limit back in the day? If so, does the weight limit apply to the frame or rim/tire combination? Either one, where would you find such a spec? @ my 230lbs. just curious. Also in reference to tires, I've heard tire size 20A tossed around.. Is 20A a tire size or something else?

squirtdad 01-15-24 02:57 PM

All of fhe above can make a contribute

Pretty simple 32 spoke wheels will handle 230 lbs. I have been as high as 280 (225 now) and never had a problem with a good quality lugged steel frame and 32 spoke wheels

tcs 01-15-24 03:04 PM

The Deacon's One Hoss Shay:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/4528...-h/45280-h.htm

Trakhak 01-15-24 03:24 PM

Somewhere out there, someone has preserved a mid-1980's spec sheet from Columbus that specified the weight limits for their various tube sets (steel, of course). The only one I remember is their SL set, with a weight limit equivalent to about 180 lbs. I believe there was a size limit, too, with a recommendation that larger frames (58 cm and up?) be built with SP tubes rather than SL.

Seems low now, but almost of the people buying racing frames in those days were fit racers, probably averaging somewhat under 160 lbs. Even tall American racers tended to be slender enough to stay under the SL weight limit.

mpetry912 01-15-24 04:14 PM

I would say that rider skill and style has a lot to do with the weight limit for a particular bike or wheelset

are you skilled at dodging potholes ? Do you unweight over bumps ?

if the tubing says "limit 240 lb" and you weigh 239 does that mean it's OK ?

things to consider.

/markp

13ollocks 01-15-24 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by mpetry912 (Post 23130296)
I would say that rider skill and style has a lot to do with the weight limit for a particular bike or wheelset

are you skilled at dodging potholes ? Do you unweight over bumps ?

if the tubing says "limit 240 lb" and you weigh 239 does that mean it's OK ?

things to consider.

/markp

Who doesn't unweight going over bumps? Simple arse preservation would make this instinctive, I would've thought...:foo:

GamblerGORD53 01-15-24 08:20 PM

The heavier the bike, the more it will carry. LOL Any SS or IGH can carry 350 lbs likely. They carry a passenger in Holland.
There was a size EA3 that is 590 mm. 1/4" more than a 650B/ 584. I switched one bike between these.
My custom tour bike with Rohloff14 laughs at 290 lbs.

Alan K 01-15-24 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 13ollocks (Post 23130450)
Who doesn't unweight going over bumps? Simple arse preservation would make this instinctive, I would've thought...:foo:

The bicycle is still carrying the same amount of weight irrespective of where your rear happens to be at a specific moment.

dedhed 01-15-24 09:04 PM

By Lawyers

cyccommute 01-15-24 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by dedhed (Post 23130577)
By Lawyers

Especially considering that Trek, for example, says this for every mountain bike model they make

This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 300 pounds (136 kg).
Carbon or aluminum, doesn’t matter. Somethin’ smells fishy here.

Frkl 01-16-24 07:21 AM

I think weight limits and the norms and standards necessary to have meaningful and comparable numbers is a fairly recent thing. I don't know how "vintage" you are talking about, but I seriously doubt that even if there was a weight limit given for a road bike from the 70s, that it would "mean" much. Without some certainty about how that number was arrived at, they don't mean much. Just the difference between a stationary and dynamic loading alone is critical.

13ollocks 01-16-24 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Alan K (Post 23130571)
The bicycle is still carrying the same amount of weight irrespective of where your rear happens to be at a specific moment.

I wan't commenting on the weight on the bike per se, just the impact on your arse. However, to address your comment, lifting one's arse converts your body weight from deadweight to sprung weight which is way easier on the bike. The weight on the bike doesn't change, but how the bike is allowed to move under that weight makes all the difference.

RH Clark 01-16-24 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 13ollocks (Post 23130791)
I wan't commenting on the weight on the bike per se, just the impact on your arse. However, to address your comment, lifting one's arse converts your body weight from deadweight to sprung weight which is way easier on the bike. The weight on the bike doesn't change, but how the bike is allowed to move under that weight makes all the difference.

Yes, I've seen frames destroyed because of this issue, particularly when the bike is on the small side and the seat is at max extension.

Pratt 01-16-24 06:43 PM

Fortunately, my bike has a frangible link that breaks before the weight exceeds the machine's maximum load; me! Well before I get to a load that will break the bike, the load will break me, and I'll be lying there like an inverted turtle waiting desperately for help to get rightsideup again.

ScottCommutes 01-16-24 07:18 PM

I have no clue about the answer to the original question. However, the premise of the question seems a little bit odd. I think that the frame/rims/tires should all support approximately the same weight. If one of those supports more weight than the others, then that component is overbuilt for the application.

rogerm3d 01-16-24 09:55 PM

Every item on a bike that is loaded has it's own limits. My current mountain bike's frame is quite strong, probably wouldn't have any issues with a 200LB+ rider, but the wheels on the bike have a much lower weight limit. On the other end I had a road bike with really strong wheels but the frame was very light/flexible. My current road bike has a stiff frame and strong wheels but very light/flexible bars/stem so that is the weakest point
In the vintage era some items like SL tubing had semi official weight limits, but generally speaking there wasn't single big database of weight limits. Shops and riders with experience would often be holders of that knowledge just from what they had experience with worked with, broken. Most of my experience with that shop/rider knowledge had three levels: safe weight, it's light and flexy weight, and you will brake it weight. Depending on how you were riding you would make sacrifices in the weight. For touring you don't have room for failure, but for racing the weight advantage might be a risk you are willing to take (the reason you see all the vintage era drillium bikes for example)

Ironfish653 01-17-24 04:32 AM

I would say both, particularly if you're talking about high performance "racing" stuff.
"You can have Strong, Light, or Cheap; Pick two" as the saying goes, but there's a point where minimizing weight will compromise absolute strength, regardless of cost.

Based on anecdotal evidence from here, and the cycling community at large; I'd say that entry level to mid range bikes tend to have lower quality wheels, and less optimized frames (overbuilt) so you see more wheel failures.

A higher end, high performance bike generally gets stronger, stiffer wheels, but that usually goes together with a lighter, more weight -optimized frame with less "reserve capacity" than a more budget bike. Couple that with the more strenuous use that the rider of such a bike is more likely to engage in and you're more likely to encounter frame damage, ironically, than an inexpensive bike (though pretty rare)

Trakhak 01-17-24 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ironfish653 (Post 23131563)
I would say both, particularly if you're talking about high performance "racing" stuff.
"You can have Strong, Light, or Cheap; Pick two" as the saying goes, but there's a point where minimizing weight will compromise absolute strength, regardless of cost.

That's equivalent to "You can have cake, pie, or ice cream; pick two!" The choice is usually presented as "Strong, light, cheap; pick two."

ScottCommutes 01-17-24 05:11 PM

Based on anecdotal evidence from here, and the cycling community at large; I'd say that entry level to mid range bikes tend to have lower quality wheels, and less optimized frames (overbuilt) so you see more wheel failures.

A higher end, high performance bike generally gets stronger, stiffer wheels, but that usually goes together with a lighter, more weight -optimized frame with less "reserve capacity" than a more budget bike. Couple that with the more strenuous use that the rider of such a bike is more likely to engage in and you're more likely to encounter frame damage, ironically, than an inexpensive bike (though pretty rare)

Put another way, beginners break wheels. Experts crack their frames. Interesting stuff.

genejockey 01-17-24 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Alan K (Post 23130571)

Unless you're bunnyhopping.

Alan K 01-17-24 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 23132118)
Unless you're bunnyhopping.

Bunnies pay the price for temporary levitation time in increased force with which they hit the ground when landing - ;)

Alan K 01-17-24 06:40 PM

Even a less than high end wheel can do much better if they are maintained - periodic check to ensure that they are true and have even tension on spokes. Beginners usually do not check or adjust things for a variety of reasons, including not having confidence in their ability to do it correctly on their own. [I am thinking of one of my nieces.]

genejockey 01-17-24 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Alan K (Post 23132141)
Bunnies pay the price for temporary levitation time in increased force with which they hit the ground when landing - ;)

It's gentler than the expansion joints I'm hopping!

Ironfish653 01-17-24 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ScottCommutes (Post 23132101)
Put another way, beginners break wheels. Experts crack their frames. Interesting stuff.

To put it this way; a super light carbon racing frame is still plenty strong, but it doesn’t have the “reserve capacity” of a less expensive alloy “sport” bike. You’re also more likely to be subjecting a race bike to more high performance, high stress use; you would be more likely to do something that would damage the frame, not that it actually happens more often

In practice though, with regards to the OP, it’s usually the wheels that are the weakest link; especially for less expensive bikes and heavier or less mechanically sympathetic riders.

Road Fan 01-20-24 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Trakhak (Post 23130239)
Somewhere out there, someone has preserved a mid-1980's spec sheet from Columbus that specified the weight limits for their various tube sets (steel, of course). The only one I remember is their SL set, with a weight limit equivalent to about 180 lbs. I believe there was a size limit, too, with a recommendation that larger frames (58 cm and up?) be built with SP tubes rather than SL.

Seems low now, but almost of the people buying racing frames in those days were fit racers, probably averaging somewhat under 160 lbs. Even tall American racers tended to be slender enough to stay under the SL weight limit.

Um, no.