Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

bald1der 04-17-24 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23216732)
No miles for me today. Knocked out some yard work, tore off part of my dilapidated deck, and mostly tackled the last of my side work out in the shop. I was actually dying to go for a ride, but common sense says I should get a couple of rest days ahead of a big race day. Tomorrow is our local Wednesday night XC race, I'm going to do my part to keep that race "easy." I'm really trying to go into Friday's race on top form.

No judgment here, that's 10 miles better than no miles.:thumb:

That's how I'm looking at it. And today is my yard day, so no miles for me today. But I will definitely get my steps in.:rolleyes:

rdf37 04-17-24 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by bald1der (Post 23216519)
I almost feel bad coming here posting my measly 10 miles ride this morning. 2nd day back on the bike this spring. Giving my new drivetrain some shakedown runs.

Don’t!!!! A ride is a ride short or long! Take it from me after I was off bike for almost nine years from an accident. I was more satisfied a few weeks ago with a 6mile ride than any of my century’s when I rode in the past. Just rude and don’t worry about “keepin up with the jones” or “ I rode more than you” people

Smaug1 04-17-24 09:26 AM

It was pouring this morning when I had to commute, so I took the cage to work. :-(

However, I am planning to scout the route for my club's inaugural Wednesday Night Ride. (20-30 miles) Gonna be a 20 mph wind gusting to 35, though. I may throw a folding eBike in the trunk and drive to the starting point and do it with that, or else I'll be finishing the ride in the dark on county roads. :foo:

Advice?

rsbob 04-17-24 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23216429)
37 miles, 52F, the temps are starting to feel like spring season!

Not 100?! Slacker. :D

rsbob 04-17-24 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Smaug1 (Post 23217027)
It was pouring this morning when I had to commute, so I took the cage to work. :-(

However, I am planning to scout the route for my club's inaugural Wednesday Night Ride. (20-30 miles) Gonna be a 20 mph wind gusting to 35, though. I may throw a folding eBike in the trunk and drive to the starting point and do it with that, or else I'll be finishing the ride in the dark on county roads. :foo:

Advice?

Cancel the ride. There is always another Wednesday

rsbob 04-17-24 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23216732)
No miles for me today. Knocked out some yard work, tore off part of my dilapidated deck, and mostly tackled the last of my side work out in the shop. I was actually dying to go for a ride, but common sense says I should get a couple of rest days ahead of a big race day. Tomorrow is our local Wednesday night XC race, I'm going to do my part to keep that race "easy." I'm really trying to go into Friday's race on top form.

I use my rest days (about 2 per week) to work outside on our acre, or hike or fix stuff. Can’t just sit around since the gardens require constant attention. Two big things waiting for me is pressure washing the back patio and awnings and the huge structure around our deer fenced vegetable garden - and then re-staining it. The day before yesterday - was the PITA setting up the fountain.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9aa6cf1709.jpg

Sierra_rider 04-17-24 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23217125)
I use my rest days (about 2 per week) to work outside on our acre, or hike or fix stuff. Can’t just sit around since the gardens require constant attention. Two big things waiting for me is pressure washing the back patio and awnings and the huge structure around our deer fenced vegetable garden - and then re-staining it. The day before yesterday - was the PITA setting up the fountain.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9aa6cf1709.jpg

Your outdoor space looks considerably more manicured than mine. I'm on a few acres with an aging house+shop, so there is a never ending supply of stuff that needs attention.

Now that we're starting to get nice weather, my focus is going to be on splitting all the piles of firewood I have around my house...propane is much too expensive to heat with, so collecting/splitting/stacking firewood is almost a non-stop process. At least I don't have far to get it, we had a storm that delivered 7' of snow in one go last winter and it broke a bunch of the trees on my property, so I have rounds piled up everywhere.

The other spring chore is cleaning all the pine needles off and away from the house. I don't go super crazy with it, just what's on the buildings and within 50' or so of them. I started that yesterday, besides demoing an unnecessary part of my front porch that collapsed in a big snow storm last year.

Smaug1 04-17-24 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23215059)
60-75 & dry without wind is my sweet spot.

I'm 47 and I like 50s. I can wear leggings and long sleeved jerseys against the sun without being too hot even at full steam. Maybe a wind vest rolled up in a back jersey pocket in case it drops a bit or the sun goes away. Water stays cool, too.

rsbob 04-17-24 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23217189)
Your outdoor space looks considerably more manicured than mine. I'm on a few acres with an aging house+shop, so there is a never ending supply of stuff that needs attention.

Now that we're starting to get nice weather, my focus is going to be on splitting all the piles of firewood I have around my house...propane is much too expensive to heat with, so collecting/splitting/stacking firewood is almost a non-stop process. At least I don't have far to get it, we had a storm that delivered 7' of snow in one go last winter and it broke a bunch of the trees on my property, so I have rounds piled up everywhere.

The other spring chore is cleaning all the pine needles off and away from the house. I don't go super crazy with it, just what's on the buildings and within 50' or so of them. I started that yesterday, besides demoing an unnecessary part of my front porch that collapsed in a big snow storm last year.

Our propane bills were so outrageous,$600-700 every other month, we got a heat pump which paid for itself in 5 years, but since you have free fuel - and a good upper body workout, go for it. I clean needles off the roof and gutters 2X a year which is not fun getting on the second story and getting out to the gutters.

You still have fire/home owner’s insurance? Received a notice last month that Farmers, after 40 years - and zero claims, dropped my mom’s house in Auburn because it is considered high risk for wildfire. Which is interesting since it is pretty much the burbs, but she does have several live oaks and 6 ginormous redwoods out front.

Edit:Did ride today but burnt too many matches over the last few rides and i sucked. Even my Garmin told me I was being unproductive and to take some time off. this time I am going to listen.

Good luck with the race

Sierra_rider 04-17-24 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23217553)
Our propane bills were so outrageous,$600-700 every other month, we got a heat pump which paid for itself in 5 years, but since you have free fuel - and a good upper body workout, go for it. I clean needles off the roof and gutters 2X a year which is not fun getting on the second story and getting out to the gutters.

You still have fire/home owner’s insurance? Received a notice last month that Farmers, after 40 years - and zero claims, dropped my mom’s house in Auburn because it is considered high risk for wildfire. Which is interesting since it is pretty much the burbs, but she does have several live oaks and 6 ginormous redwoods out front.

Edit:Did ride today but burnt too many matches over the last few rides and i sucked. Even my Garmin told me I was being unproductive and to take some time off. this time I am going to listen.

Good luck with the race

I built a fairly heavy duty hydraulic log splitter, so no more upper body workouts from splitting firewood...and building it myself saved a few thousand dollhairs over buying a comparable commercial grade splitter, so more money for fancy bikes lol.

I've got 2 separate home insurance policies. One covers everything not related to wildland fire and the other covers specifically wildland fire related damages. Unfortunately for some, the fire severity/risk zones don't always make perfect sense. On the other hand, I've also had the experience of chasing fire through a developed city, although that was an extreme, once-in-a-career moment.

Sierra_rider 04-17-24 11:01 PM

MTB racing tonight, all together about 20 miles and 1500' of gain...although only 13 of those were race miles. I took 2nd in a pretty stacked field, I did a come-from-behind sprint and was short by less than half a wheel...did about 1000 watts for 10 seconds in the sprint. I can actually do better in a sprint and I realized that I kinda gave away the win with that effort, but no complaints on how it turned out. Even though it was a fast race, I managed to keep my power numbers down and feel like I won't be carrying any fatigue into Friday's race in Monterey.

Smaug1 04-18-24 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23217116)
Cancel the ride. There is always another Wednesday

I took your advice and did my route research at home by looking through my Garmin Connect routes and sending the candidates to my GPS. I really wasn't feeling the ride.

I took the gravel bike in today, so it will be 4 miles only, for commuting. Flirting with rain on the way home, but if it does rain, I'll get to test my new fenders.

rsbob 04-18-24 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23217562)
MTB racing tonight, all together about 20 miles and 1500' of gain...although only 13 of those were race miles. I took 2nd in a pretty stacked field, I did a come-from-behind sprint and was short by less than half a wheel...did about 1000 watts for 10 seconds in the sprint. I can actually do better in a sprint and I realized that I kinda gave away the win with that effort, but no complaints on how it turned out. Even though it was a fast race, I managed to keep my power numbers down and feel like I won't be carrying any fatigue into Friday's race in Monterey.

Bravo again and here goes to crushing it in Monterey! Bet the competition will be deep. 1000 watts for 10 seconds?!!! Getting ready for the pro-ranks?

Edit, care to share your home insurance providers? I need to get mom’s house insured. Thx

Sierra_rider 04-18-24 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23217895)
Bravo again and here goes to crushing it in Monterey! Bet the competition will be deep. 1000 watts for 10 seconds?!!! Getting ready for the pro-ranks?

Edit, care to share your home insurance providers? I need to get mom’s house insured. Thx

Thanks, yeah I'm expecting a deep field at Sea Otter. Not only is Sea Otter a big event, but this particular race is also a qualifier for the Leadville 100. Humblebrag time, but...my longest duration for 1000 watts is actually 30 seconds. I think my 10 second PR is around 1200 watts...that may sound strong, but I suspect a pro-level sprinter is in the range of 1500-2000 for a short duration sprint like that. I come into my own on longer duration sprints or late-race attacks. My 1 minute power is exceptionally strong(800watts.) I honestly don't train for sprints, so I'm probably leaving some room for improvement there. My main focus has always been improving my unremarkable endurance. I have a decently high FTP now, but it's quite a bit of work to get there and stay there.

PM sent for the insurance.

Troul 04-18-24 02:29 PM

104 Miles in the breezy 52F. A lot of generators were still going from the storms that pounded the SE area.

jaxgtr 04-18-24 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23217895)

I was notified at the end of Dec right after I had paid my policy for the year that my Insurance company got bought and the new owner decided they were exiting the personal insurance lines (Home,boat,car, etc). I have had this company for close to 36 years and they have been fantastic for the 2 instances I needed to make a claim. I had just had a roof inspection that same day to confirm what I though was some wind damage from a nasty storm we had the first week of Dec. So I made sure to file for roof damage under my policy, they approved it and now I have a new roof which just saved me 28K because insurance in Florida is a crap shoot at the moment and companies are forcing people to get new roofs before they insure them if they are over 10 yrs old, which is stupid. Most roofs will last at least 25 years, but what are you going to do, you have to have it.

So now that I have all that done, I now have 7 months to find a new policy that is not going to be stupid expensive compared to what I was paying. My mother in law also had Farmers for 40+ years and they just exited her policy recently as well. The inflation rate\ commercial real estate plunge is killing the reinsurance markets as they are so heavily invested in REIT's and that is getting passed down to the consumer markets.

With all that said, I got in 16.2 miles and 2733 ft of climbing.

rsbob 04-18-24 09:05 PM

Purchased TPO tubes and installed them today. My former Michelin “ultra light” tubes (2 mounted, 1 spare) total weight was 522 g. The total weight of the replacement TPU tubes 252 g. Weight saving is 398 g, or 14 ounces. Cheapest weight saving ever.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dbc443bdb.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...573ce2832.jpeg

jaxgtr 04-18-24 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23218349)
Purchased TPO tubes and installed them today. My former Michelin “ultra light” tubes (2 mounted, 1 spare) total weight was 522 g. The total weight of the replacement TPU tubes 252 g. Weight saving is 398 g, or 14 ounces. Cheapest weight saving ever.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dbc443bdb.jpeg

What company makes purple TPU's

rsbob 04-18-24 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23218355)
What company makes purple TPU's

Several different manufacturers. I found mine here for a super price: https://www.aliexpress.us/w/wholesal...468a1c91eaMhBC

jaxgtr 04-19-24 07:47 PM

Got in a rouvy ride tonight, 23 miles, 2.5k of climbing. Planning for a long ride outside tomorrow.

rsbob 04-19-24 11:00 PM

A quick 21 with 1,300’ with a younger buddy. Since he can push mucho watts, it encouraged me to put out a little bit extra. The good news 4 PRs I wasn’t trying for and the “bad” news was 2 KOMs for my age group. Plus a coffee stop - because he’s from OZ, and it’s tradition - and I don’t monkey with tradition when coffee is involved.

Sierra_rider 04-20-24 12:07 AM

Did a little bit of mountain bike racing today at Sea Otter...about 68 miles and 8400', with a 5 hour and 12 minute finishing time. My personal performance exceeded my expectations and I set some PR's for 4-5 hour power, but the field was insanely talented . I managed a 16th out of about 100 in my class, so not quite the top 10 that I was hoping for...regardless of finishing place, I'm just pumped on how well I rode.

It was a 2 lap, marathon XC race...I paved it perfectly and emptied my gas tank on the final climb of the day. Some notable stats...top speed of 46mph, average speed of 13mph, and a normalized power of 273 watts. Average watts was 215 for the event...which would be alright on a road ride, but is quite difficult on a MTB with all the time spent descending. I lost quite a bit of weight from last season(25lbs,) so I'm actually starting to feel like a "climber" and feel like I have an advantage on the climbs.

Troul 04-20-24 02:47 AM

30 miles around the breezy town in the not so spring like temps of 39F ..... ugh.

XxHaimBondxX 04-20-24 07:36 AM

Almost made 30 miles, but oh boy my butt was hurting the last 10. Ordered a couple of Brooks saddles, hoping they live up to the hype.

Troul 04-20-24 11:48 AM

Went for round two...
45 miles yelling at the clouds that was shedding snow. Temps dropped to 32°F for most of the ride.