Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

Classtime 11-05-21 11:09 AM

I'm also curious about the Contro's sidewall protection for gravel.

squirtdad 11-05-21 11:27 AM


Originally Posted by ACH57 (Post 22296835)
How do you like these tires? I'm looking at this size for a 1970 Gitane TDF. I live in goat head central so flat protection along with comfort are a big deal.

I like them (Vittoria corsa control but at 261 miles can't say definitively on puncture resistance

ACH57 11-08-21 11:18 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c8833234c.jpeg
Can I use a 30 mm tire on a rim that measures 21.5 mm?

Classtime 11-08-21 12:13 PM


Originally Posted by ACH57 (Post 22300132)
Can I use a 30 mm tire on a rim that measures 21.5 mm?

Of course. Many folks race with 33mm cyclocross tires on rims like that.

Flatforkcrown 11-08-21 12:23 PM


Originally Posted by ACH57 (Post 22300132)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c8833234c.jpeg
Can I use a 30 mm tire on a rim that measures 21.5 mm?

yes, youíll be fine. It will look like this:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a81ad2890.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...db51712ce.jpeg

Lazyass 11-10-21 04:58 AM

Some new rubber for the Univega. Also whipped out the dremel with a wire wheel and polished up the eyelets/nipples. They were getting a little corroded.

I love these Challenge Elites, I think this is the 4th pair I bought but man they run small. A 23 is 22.47mm.

https://i.postimg.cc/mrJpyfbr/20211110-055121.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/63ds75dK/20211110-052808.jpg

Lazyass 11-11-21 02:42 AM

I spent some money on tubulars this month. I just got the wheelset I ordered for my Wabi Special single speed from Pro Wheel Builder. Paul hubs, Kinlin TB 25 tubular rims, Sapim Laser spokes and blue Sapim nipples. Panaracer Race C Evo3's cost $70 a pair from Bike Recyclery.

If you order them then remind them in the comments that it's for a pair. I ordered two pairs and received two tires, they're sending the others out today. Never had Panaracers but they look to be a very good quality. They are pretty tight so I'll stretch them out for awhile.

https://i.postimg.cc/sgbRfjXj/12345678.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/3NQczNn6/20211111-032506.jpg

ACH57 11-13-21 02:24 PM


Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 22297076)
I like them (Vittoria corsa control but at 261 miles can't say definitively on puncture resistance

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6fc22addc.jpeg

Do you think Iíll have enough room for the 30s with 34 to 35 mm of vertical clearance?

DiabloScott 11-13-21 04:08 PM


Originally Posted by ACH57 (Post 22306164)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6fc22addc.jpeg

Do you think Iíll have enough room for the 30s with 34 to 35 mm of vertical clearance?

1. You number your spokes? That is extremely nerdy. :thumb:
2. Looks like too many threads showing - wrong length? Not done tensioning?
3. To check for clearance, put on another tubular that's 25mm and see if you have room for more - or borrow somebody's worn out old 30mm.

ACH57 11-13-21 04:13 PM


Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 22306236)
1. You number your spokes? That is extremely nerdy. :thumb:
2. Looks like too many threads showing - wrong length? Not done tensioning?
3. To check for clearance, put on another tubular that's 25mm and see if you have room for more - or borrow somebody's worn out old 30mm.

1. 36 laced 4X!
2. I wasnít done tensioning. They are correct length.
3. I have no other tires currently. The ones that came on those wheels were 21 mm and were falling apart

ACH57 11-14-21 04:57 PM


Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 22297076)
I like them (Vittoria corsa control but at 261 miles can't say definitively on puncture resistance

Any chance you could measure the outside diameter of the mounted tire? Thanks!

squirtdad 11-15-21 12:26 AM


Originally Posted by ACH57 (Post 22307295)
Any chance you could measure the outside diameter of the mounted tire? Thanks!

sure.... monday evening probably

Lazyass 11-15-21 02:25 AM

Got a couple of rides on the Panaracers and they're great, very high Japanese quality. Really smooth on my chipseal roads and even hit a little dirt. They do run a tad small, I measured them at 25.30 but from the side they look bigger. I think I'm going to buy a few more of them while they're still in stock.

https://i.postimg.cc/RV65XqWx/zzzxcv.jpg

Flatforkcrown 11-15-21 10:14 AM


Originally Posted by ACH57 (Post 22307295)
Any chance you could measure the outside diameter of the mounted tire? Thanks!

my vittoria corsa g+ is 28mm mounted, 30mm labeled.

ACH57 11-15-21 11:58 AM


Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown (Post 22308048)
my vittoria corsa g+ is 28mm mounted, 30mm labeled.

What is the overall outside diameter of the tire when itís mounted on the rim?

Flatforkcrown 11-15-21 12:33 PM


Originally Posted by ACH57 (Post 22308193)
What is the overall outside diameter of the tire when itís mounted on the rim?

28mm wide, but thatís a rough measurement with a steel tape and a large adjustable wrench. I donít have calipers but itís within .5mm+/-.

smontanaro 11-25-21 10:49 AM

Veloflex Sale
 
Veloflex is having a Good Friday sale (26-29 Nov Italian time), 15% off with this code: VXBLACKFRIDAY2021

https://www.veloflex.it/

Happy Thanksgiving all you plush ride aficionados!

masi61 11-25-21 02:37 PM

Bike24.com has these fat, fat Schwalbe G-One HT Speed Evolution tubulars with a "basketball" tread in 30mm width for a great price:

https://www.bike24.com/p2196555.html

I bought 4 and immediately had to try them on my Velocity Major Tom rims and they are a match made in heaven. Unfortunately for me my wheels are 130mm rear hub, rim brake and all of my road bikes seem to run out of clearance with tire widths much wider (or taller) than 27mm.

woodcraft 11-26-21 11:38 AM

Rant:

Vittoria replaceable valve stems suck!

I'm down to I think the last one of these, a file tread tire used for all around riding on the CX bike. It developed a slow leak, and I thought about adding some goop, but the valve core is not removable.

The leak got worse so I pulled the tire and found no puncture, just the stupid stem having come loose. This is not the first or even the third time I have seen this with various tires.

At least Vittoria finally abandoned the misguided idea, so possibly you have been blissfully unaware- if so, count yourself lucky.

] rant

smontanaro 11-26-21 12:39 PM

woodcraft Which model of Vittoria tire are you referring to? Do you mean valve core or the entire stem? Rallys used to have nonremovable valve cores, but recent production has removable cores.

smontanaro 11-26-21 04:41 PM

Another sale... Excel Sports has Vittoria Corsa G+ 23mm tubulars (black or tan sidewalk) for $29.88, regularly $134.

https://www.excelsports.com/vittoria...ular-road-tire

Hat tip to Bob Freeman on CR.

woodcraft 11-26-21 09:18 PM


Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 22320979)
woodcraft Which model of Vittoria tire are you referring to? Do you mean valve core or the entire stem? Rallys used to have nonremovable valve cores, but recent production has removable cores.


In this case it is "Cross EVO XN" but it was on various tires.

The silver & black are valve stem extensions, & the red are the hated stems, in different lengths.


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7aaac67b51.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...beb1ab2fcd.jpg

pastorbobnlnh 11-27-21 06:43 AM


Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 22321199)
Another sale... Excel Sports has Vittoria Corsa G+ 23mm tubulars (black or tan sidewalk) for $29.88, regularly $134.

https://www.excelsports.com/vittoria...ular-road-tire

Hat tip to Bob Freeman on CR.

Thanks for the heads up 🙂! I ordered a pair.

Classtime 11-27-21 09:03 AM


Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh (Post 22321565)
Thanks for the heads up 🙂! I ordered a pair.

I got the last tan one. One black left. What a price! Nice compact lightweight spare:thumb:

woodcraft 11-27-21 11:16 AM


Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh (Post 22321565)
Thanks for the heads up 🙂! I ordered a pair.



Me too!

smontanaro 12-01-21 11:58 AM

I went ahead and pulled the trigger for a pair of Veloflex ProTour 28s on Monday (Nov 28). Shipping was free from Italy. DHL informed me earlier today that they will be delivered today. I'm kind of stunned at the free, fast shipping, especially given the already discounted sale price for the tires. Usually, when I contemplate buying something from Europe I have to factor in a steep shipping cost and expect it to take forever to get through customs. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth here, just pleasantly surprised at this turn of events.

Wildwood 12-01-21 01:17 PM


Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 22325669)
I went ahead and pulled the trigger for a pair of Veloflex ProTour 28s on Monday (Nov 28). Shipping was free from Italy.

what website from Italy?

squirtdad 12-01-21 01:34 PM

looks like the famous yellow jersey 3 for 50 is now 3 for 60

smontanaro 12-01-21 01:41 PM


Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 22325753)
what website from Italy?

veloflex.it

The tires were shipped from Bergamo.

Wildwood 12-01-21 08:01 PM

Merlincycles dot com is just about out of all the older ‘named’ Veloflex models.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.