Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   BMX (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Finished this today... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1237150)

cxwrench 08-21-21 08:39 PM

Finished this today...

2019 GT Speed Pro, Answer Dagger, Box wheels/bar/stem/chainring, Shimano Zee crank, Shimano XT 8100 disc brake, Tioga Power Block tires. Time to hit the track!

https://i.imgur.com/zU2yIrUl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nPveh4Zl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OKtb8kjl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/J2I8d7Xl.jpg

SkinGriz 08-21-21 10:58 PM

That’s nice!

What is the frame material? What does it weigh? The heat sink on the caliper is cool.

That’s pretty far from what I had 23 years ago.

Oldbikenut 08-22-21 11:03 AM

I'm an old school guy but I must say that thing looks fast, BMX has sure come a long way!! Very cool!!!

Oldbikenut 08-22-21 11:05 AM

Oh ya make sure to lower the seat all the way down, isn't that the way everyone does it these days :giver:LOL

Viich 08-22-21 04:01 PM

cxwrench - nice build. What are you running for gearing?

Originally Posted by Oldbikenut (Post 22195064)
Oh ya make sure to lower the seat all the way down, isn't that the way everyone does it these days :giver:LOL

My seat is a little higher than most, as my bike older than a bunch of the kids I race against - but it hits me while pumping in several spots on our track sometimes.

Oldbikenut 08-22-21 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Viich (Post 22195532)

My seat is a little higher than most, as my bike older than a bunch of the kids I race against - but it hits me while pumping in several spots on our track sometimes.

When I was young there was no pump tracks, we had to pedal or we weren't going anywhere. A few years back I rode on our local track and it was weird not having to pedal at all and making it around!

SkinGriz 08-22-21 10:24 PM

Been over 20 years. But my BMX memory was the seat was just for putting around between heats or whatever.
No sitting down from gate drop to finish line.

cxwrench 08-23-21 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by SkinGriz (Post 22194532)
That’s nice!

What is the frame material? What does it weigh? The heat sink on the caliper is cool.

That’s pretty far from what I had 23 years ago.

It's aluminum, 6061 T6. Right now it's exactly 19.5lb. The heat sink is on the pads, it's a 2 piston Shimano XT brake.

Originally Posted by Oldbikenut (Post 22195064)

Already done:thumb:

Originally Posted by Viich (Post 22195532)

Right now it's 40/16, no idea how that's gonna work out on the track as I'm totally out of shape and only have one way to go...I hope. What are people running these days? I know the complete bike from GT comes w/ a 44t chainring but they don't say anything about the cog.

Viich 08-24-21 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22196729)
It's aluminum, 6061 T6. Right now it's exactly 19.5lb. The heat sink is on the pads, it's a 2 piston Shimano XT brake.

Already done:thumb:

Right now it's 40/16, no idea how that's gonna work out on the track as I'm totally out of shape and only have one way to go...I hope. What are people running these days? I know the complete bike from GT comes w/ a 44t chainring but they don't say anything about the cog.

I run 44:16 with a 1.75 Tioga Fastr React tire. I'm thinking about swapping to a 43:16 to help my start a little. For you using the 1.95 Powerblocks, a 43:16 would be almost the same as my 44.

Viich 08-24-21 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Oldbikenut (Post 22195588)
When I was young there was no pump tracks, we had to pedal or we weren't going anywhere. A few years back I rode on our local track and it was weird not having to pedal at all and making it around!

I pedal a lot, I'm just not sitting down to do it. I don't sit to sprint on my road bike either..... and the race is only 30-45 sec long, depending on the track.

cxwrench 08-24-21 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Viich (Post 22198078)
I run 44:16 with a 1.75 Tioga Fastr React tire. I'm thinking about swapping to a 43:16 to help my start a little. For you using the 1.95 Powerblocks, a 43:16 would be almost the same as my 44.

Thanks for the input!

Oldbikenut 08-24-21 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Viich (Post 22198080)
I pedal a lot, I'm just not sitting down to do it. I don't sit to sprint on my road bike either..... and the race is only 30-45 sec long, depending on the track.

I usually get tired about 15 seconds into the race :) actually I think most of us BITD use to use our bikes off the track as well, it seems like things have become much more specialized over the years. I used to ride about 5 miles to the track, race and then pedal home. I do understand how having the seat lower and clip ons for the pedals would both improve things on the track, just not used to those things!

Viich 08-26-21 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Oldbikenut (Post 22198903)
I usually get tired about 15 seconds into the race :) actually I think most of us BITD use to use our bikes off the track as well, it seems like things have become much more specialized over the years. I used to ride about 5 miles to the track, race and then pedal home. I do understand how having the seat lower and clip ons for the pedals would both improve things on the track, just not used to those things!

Yea - it's like so many things, not even just bikes - but bikes are a ridiculous example. Race BMX bikes have gotten so different from trick bikes, dirt jumpers are kind of a bastard child of a BMX and an MTB - there are about 6 major classes of MTB, and let's not get started into all the varieties of drop bar bike.

Oldbikenut 08-29-21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Viich (Post 22201262)
Yea - it's like so many things, not even just bikes - but bikes are a ridiculous example. Race BMX bikes have gotten so different from trick bikes, dirt jumpers are kind of a bastard child of a BMX and an MTB - there are about 6 major classes of MTB, and let's not get started into all the varieties of drop bar bike.

When you think about it, things really have changed through the years!!

But to the OP your bike looks awesome and like I said before so fast!!!

MaxRider 10-20-21 09:31 AM

Looks so good! Nice work.

astrobiker 12-04-21 05:41 PM

GT's are timeless. Who knows, if you keep it for 20+ years it could be a collectible!

Js760 12-04-21 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by astrobiker (Post 22329033)
GT's are timeless. Who knows, if you keep it for 20+ years it could be a collectible!

was going to say the same. Prices for old and mid school GT is insane.

Rideeasy 12-05-21 07:54 AM

Looks great! Time to have fun.