Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Campagnolo Nuovo record help needed, thank you! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1240602)

MartinF77 10-15-21 12:13 PM

Campagnolo Nuovo record help needed, thank you!

Hello!
I have an old Freschi Supreme road bike with Campagnolo Nuovo record rear derauiler and Regina 7 speed freewheel.
I have a problem when I drive uphill on full load in lowest gear, chain drops to the next gear (second).
Can anybody help with any advice?
Thanks a lot, any help is appreciated!
Best regards,
Martin from Croatia
​​

bikemike73 10-15-21 01:01 PM

Could be just a simple adjustment to tightening the shift lever.

Does the lever move, or is it loose ?

Does 1st gear work ok if you are on a flat or slight uphill grade ?

Posts some pics.

You need either 10 posts or you can put the pics in your " gallery".

I do not know how to do this myself.

Most people on the great forum do, and will" chime in " soon to help.

cxwrench 10-15-21 02:12 PM

Tighten the screw that holds the shifter on. There's a wire that folds against the screw, flip it out and tighten it some. Problem solved.

MartinF77 10-15-21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by bikemike73 (Post 22271260)
Could be just a simple adjustment to tightening the shift lever.

Does the lever move, or is it loose ?

Does 1st gear work ok if you are on a flat or slight uphill grade ?

Posts some pics.

You need either 10 posts or you can put the pics in your " gallery".

I do not know how to do this myself.

Most people on the great forum do, and will" chime in " soon to help.

Thanks for quick response!
Lever is tightent really well but it does move slightly under load, that looks like the problem.
It leeds then to shorten the cable?
1st gear works properly on flat road.

I will try to shorten the cable.
Thanks again

MartinF77 10-15-21 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22271343)
Tighten the screw that holds the shifter on. There's a wire that folds against the screw, flip it out and tighten it some. Problem solved.

Shifter screw is tightened on max, I cannot move it any direction. I will try to shorten the cable.
Thanks,
I will report soon.
Hope I will get these 10 posts quick so I could share some photos!
Thanks!

Kimmo 10-15-21 08:17 PM

Or maybe you need to back out the low limit screw a hair? Could also be worth checking hanger alignment.

Given the age of this gear, could just be wear. How sloppy is the RD and freewheel?

Spaghetti Legs 10-16-21 10:28 PM

The shifter may be assembled incorrectly or missing a thin washer if the bolt is tightened down all the way and still some play in the shifter under a load.

MartinF77 10-18-21 12:08 AM

I did some test runs and some more investigation.
I drove uphill with max load after some changes, and it still shifts gear up, chain jumps one gear lower.
Teeth on cassette look good, shifter lever seems stiff enough but it slightly moves during the load...
I changed jockey wheels, so they are new, I had the same problem before changing as well.
​​​​​​Is it possible that the chain is to short?
The cables are old for sure maybe to change them as wellI?
will try to reach 10 posts so I can put some pictures it will be much more helpful.
Thanks a lot.
Martin

JohnDThompson 10-18-21 06:06 AM

Chainstay flex with heavy pedaling can cause unintended gear shifts on some bikes. Light gauge tubing and short chainstays can exacerbate this.

SurferRosa 10-18-21 08:42 PM

What's the cogset? Nuovo Record max cog is 26t, but most folks can use a 28t, depending on how it's setup. It may ghost shift using a 28t. Chain length for Campy NR is usually determined by the lowest gear (using a double chainset) so that the upper wheel doesn't rub against the teeth of the big cog.

MartinF77 06-29-22 10:16 AM

Thanks everybody for the help,
I have finally resolved the problem, it was a shifter , it looked tight but when under the load it started to slip...It needed to be dismenteled cleaned a little bit and better tightened , now it works fine , i am very grtatefull.
Recently, a new local nice bike shop has been opened and guys helped me to solve the problem.
In the mean time i had a lot of work and didn't touch the bike , but fortunately i was driving my new one.
Thanks again ,
All the best , safe rides
Martin

Andrew R Stewart 06-29-22 10:31 AM

I will mention the test for this type of issue I used to employ back when skinny Al frames were thought to be the shizz. (Vitus and Alans, including all those labeled with other brands but were made by Alan)

I would remove the shift cable from the der and secure it with a zip tie against the frane. I would install a short length of shift cable through the casing stop on the der and attach it to the anchor bolt with the chain on a mid cog. This cable would now be keeping the der in the position that kept the chain running cleanly on the cog. Then I had the customer ride the bike and see if it still "auto shifted" when under high pedal forces (my shop was next to a steep residential street). Nearly every time the customer would tell me there was no auto shifting no matter how much they tried. This would confirm what John here said. The frame flex was slightly tugging on the cable causing the lever to move with each pedal stroke.

This was just as indexing was coming to the market and some of those customers moved onto indexed systems (and with the shift lever having a more positive design to hold a position it would resist the tugging FAR better than a friction lever could).

I also found it interesting that this problem happened more frequently for riders who were big guys and tended to pedal squares at a slow cadence than small riders who could spin their cranks smoothly and at higher cadences. Andy