Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

WhyFi 09-28-22 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22662358)
There are 98 cities in Los Angeles county and many of them have their own police departments. If not they contract the Sherriff dep't for law enforcement.
Each of these departments can enforce the way they choose, usually depending on complaints by locals. There are training rides which go through cites where the traffic laws are enforced much stricter than other areas. If enough riders piss off enough drivers the cops will hear about it.

As for groups going through stop signs, a group is not a single entity. If a group of cars tried to go through as one they could be ticketed. I know, it's silly for bikes but according to the law, each bike should stop at a stop sign. Most cops are not going to write a group but it has happened here.

Of course, but...

The lead members of datlas' group had the right of way and the group acting as a single entity is far more courteous to other road users. It's possible for a group to not strictly adhere to the letter of the law, while still being respectful, safe and courteous and it's cases like these where the type of ranting they experienced is just a wee person flexing what little control can.

big john 09-28-22 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22662494)
Of course, but...

The lead members of datlas' group had the right of way and the group acting as a single entity is far more courteous to other road users. It's possible for a group to not strictly adhere to the letter of the law, while still being respectful, safe and courteous and it's cases like these where the type of ranting they experienced is just a wee person flexing what little control can.

At least he didn't start writing tickets.

WhyFi 09-28-22 03:53 PM

Was almost hit yesterday by some soccer mom piloting an SUV - she was crossing my path, had a stop sign and I didn't. She reached the intersection slightly before me, stopped, then went right the **** through, anyway, making me panic brake and swerve. Since she was crossing in front of me, I didn't think that my camera would catch her plates, but the last two frames done got her. 😈

genejockey 09-28-22 05:00 PM

The hurricane looks to be passing to the South of Sarasota, where my sister lives. She and BIL are okay as of the last time she had cell signal. He's bored, she reports.:rolleyes:

MoAlpha 09-28-22 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22662432)
One time a group of us passed a fire station at a tee intersection with stop signs. A couple cops were standing there chatting with some firemen. As we each dutifully stopped the cops started laughing. One said something like "You all would stop like that if we weren't here, right?" "Of course!" I replied.

When we had the national 55mph speed limit I got pulled over for going 60. The guy lectured me and said I was a "bad influence" on other drivers but no ticket.

For a few years, my dad commuted from 22nd St. & 2nd Ave to 106th & 5th on his Rudge, waiting dutifully at every red light along the way. The cops told him he’d never get to work like that.

big john 09-28-22 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22662604)
For a few years, my dad commuted from 22nd St. & 2nd Ave to 106th & 5th on his Rudge, waiting dutifully at every red light along the way. The cops told him he’d never get to work like that.

Motor Rudge?
https://i2.wp.com/www.bike-urious.co...81%2C442&ssl=1

DougRNS 09-28-22 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22661721)
Went to the movies tonight with Mrs. GJ, first time since the Pandemic started. It was decidedly weird. Almost nobody was there. There were no ticket sellers, just 3 ticket kiosks. There was a bar, with bartender. There was no person or machine taking tickets, or checking them - you could just walk into any of the theaters. You could probably just walk right in without paying. Where the concession stand would be, it LOOKED like a concession stand, but it was all glassed in. There was a robot standing by what I realized was the kitchen.

We went to our seats. Nobody else was in that theater. Nobody.

There was a QR code on the armrest that you could scan to see the snack and drink menu, and a button you could push for someone to come and take your order, and scan your credit card for payment. Then a robot takes the food to the theater and a server brings it to you.

At the end of the movie - and STILL nobody else had showed up - we walked out into the hallway, and as I waited for Mrs. GJ to hit the restroom, no more than 7 patrons passed me. Maybe half that many staff, and about the same number of robots.

Mrs. GJ correctly said, "It's dystopian!"

Streaming and COVID may have done in the movie theaters.

I thought it was because 95% of the movies blow. :foo:

BillyD 09-28-22 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22662604)
For a few years, my dad commuted from 22nd St. & 2nd Ave to 106th & 5th . . .

Mt. Sinai?

MoAlpha 09-28-22 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22662639)

Nope, Rudge Sports. Can’t find a good pic. The cops wouldn’t be happy with him running lights on a moto.

Another funny experience he had was be9ng cut off by a limo with diplomatic plates and swearing at the occupants in his native German. The rear passenger rolled down his window and replied, “Es tut mir so leid, ich dich nicht erkannt habe!”

MoAlpha 09-28-22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22662725)
Mt. Sinai?

Close! The old New York Medical College-Flower Fifth Avenue.

LesterOfPuppets 09-28-22 08:03 PM

Escalante was beautiful yesterday:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...18557140f2.jpg

big john 09-28-22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22662750)
Nope, Rudge Sports. Can’t find a good pic. The cops wouldn’t be happy with him running lights on a moto.

Another funny experience he had was be9ng cut off by a limo with diplomatic plates and swearing at the occupants in his native German. The rear passenger rolled down his window and replied, “Es tut mir so leid, ich dich nicht erkannt habe!”

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nvoAA...8Cp/s-l500.jpg

big john 09-28-22 10:04 PM

R.I.P. Coolio.

LesterOfPuppets 09-29-22 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22662869)
R.I.P. Coolio.

Aww man.

seedsbelize2 09-29-22 05:47 AM

Wordle 467 3/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

seedsbelize2 09-29-22 05:49 AM

We are having November weather. The first cold front of the year came through earlier in the week--the same cold front that pulled Ian north--almost two months early.

datlas 09-29-22 05:54 AM

Looks like this weekend will be a washout and it's too early to reactivate my Zwift account.

I should try out another online platform. Any thoughts? It looks like Wahoo SYSTM or FullGaz or Rouvy are reasonable to try (looking to just have a free trial for a few hours).

Goal is entertainment to keep me motivated on the trainer for a couple hours, not really looking to do "structured" workouts.

WhyFi 09-29-22 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22662960)
Looks like this weekend will be a washout and it's too early to reactivate my Zwift account.

I should try out another online platform. Any thoughts? It looks like Wahoo SYSTM or FullGaz or Rouvy are reasonable to try (looking to just have a free trial for a few hours).

Goal is entertainment to keep me motivated on the trainer for a couple hours, not really looking to do "structured" workouts.

Remember that SYSTM was Sufferfest prior to acquisition by Wahoo. While there were some rides with accompanying videos, that's not their schtick - it's structured workouts with tailored power zones. No experience with either FulGaz or Rouvy ( MoAlpha has logged a bunch of Rouvy rides, IIRC), but either has to be closer to what you're looking for.

MoAlpha 09-29-22 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22662781)

Close, but it was black, had a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub, and a straight top tube. Maybe it wasn't the Sports model.

datlas 09-29-22 07:06 AM

Heidi (the USC Film student) got to go to a premiere yesterday. Recognize the guy in the center?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dac80bee4.jpeg

datlas 09-29-22 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22663002)
Remember that SYSTM was Sufferfest prior to acquisition by Wahoo. While there were some rides with accompanying videos, that's not their schtick - it's structured workouts with tailored power zones. No experience with either FulGaz or Rouvy ( MoAlpha has logged a bunch of Rouvy rides, IIRC), but either has to be closer to what you're looking for.

Yeah I recall the sufferfest platform and it is focused on workouts. Will mess around online and Plan B will be to reactivate Zwift earlier than planned. I don't use it regularly until November.

indyfabz 09-29-22 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22663011)
Heidi (the USC Film student) got to go to a premiere yesterday. Recognize the guy in the center?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dac80bee4.jpeg

Guy? That’s Sarah Palin after her recent face work. :innocent:

indyfabz 09-29-22 07:50 AM

Ta-da!

Wordle 467 2/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 09-29-22 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22663058)
Ta-da!

Wordle 467 2/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

:bday:

MoAlpha 09-29-22 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22662960)

I am thinking of dropping Zwift. I was using it for structured training and group rides, but the groups are polarized training poison and Rouvy now has a custom workout feature, which will take care of my structure and controlled long-easy needs. What I need most is mildly stimulating visuals to accompany music or voice material and Rouvy provides that at a bargain price, since my wife and I can share a subscription. I also find the Zwift visuals depressingly bad. Rouvy uses video and the routes are pretty cool.