Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Ask your small, random, track-related questions here (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=924726)

carleton 09-03-14 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hida Yanra (Post 17097136)

You know how I do it...

http://www.techranger.org/wp-content...money-gif1.gif

derek.fulmer 09-03-14 10:37 PM

Can I run a DA 7700 BB with 7710 cranks or do I have to have 7710 for both?

carleton 09-04-14 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by derek.fulmer (Post 17098023)
Can I run a DA 7700 BB with 7710 cranks or do I have to have 7710 for both?

Yes.

There are also some Ultegra and 105 BBs floating around that will work, too. I don't know the model numbers, but they are much cheaper.

derek.fulmer 09-04-14 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 17098134)
Yes.

There are also some Ultegra and 105 BBs floating around that will work, too. I don't know the model numbers, but they are much cheaper.

Awesome is the Dura Ace 7710 stuff still available new or has it been discontinued? That's the impression I've been under.

carleton 09-04-14 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by derek.fulmer (Post 17100244)
Awesome is the Dura Ace 7710 stuff still available new or has it been discontinued? That's the impression I've been under.

It is still produced new. Just because it's old tech, doesn't mean they stopped producing it.

It is the track standard for racing and is even certified for racing NJS events (big money) in Japan. Just like the square tapered Campagnolo Pista and Sugino 75 cranks and bottom bracket are still currently being produced.

Shimano even still makes high-end race wheels for road and track using loose ball bearings. Their new track disc and 5 spoke use the 7600 track hubs which are loose ball. I've seen some Dura Ace road wheels with loose ball, too.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

derek.fulmer 09-04-14 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 17100337)
It is still produced new. Just because it's old tech, doesn't mean they stopped producing it.

It is the track standard for racing and is even certified for racing NJS events (big money) in Japan. Just like the square tapered Campagnolo Pista and Sugino 75 cranks and bottom bracket are still currently being produced.

Shimano even still makes high-end race wheels for road and track using loose ball bearings. Their new track disc and 5 spoke use the 7600 track hubs which are loose ball. I've seen some Dura Ace road wheels with loose ball, too.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Good to know, thanks!

MrMinty 09-07-14 12:38 PM

How do I know when a chain is binding?

carleton 09-07-14 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MrMinty (Post 17108405)
How do I know when a chain is binding?

Remove the chain and pull it over your fingers and see if you notice a stiff spot.

MrMinty 09-07-14 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 17108440)
Remove the chain and pull it over your fingers and see if you notice a stiff spot.

Thanks. How slack should the chain be?

carleton 09-07-14 04:42 PM

If you do find a stiff spot, gently bend the chain laterally back and forth till it loosens up. It should only take like 2-3 wiggles.

Not to be rude but I'm in the gym and can't type much. Google track bike chain tension for videos.

If your chain is stiff and hard it's too tight. You should have about 1" of vertical play when the wheel is set.

Too tight is bad. It binds and wastes watts via friction.

Owen21 09-08-14 07:52 PM

Generic bike question: For my birthday i'd like to get myself a track specific bike. Now i like the look of the Dolan Pre Cursa's and have ridden them at the track a few times, plus you can customise the colours etc on their site when you order. Also in the frame is the Hoy Fiorenzola - better components but not as eye catching and i havent actually ridden one with intent. Also on ebay is a Switch carbon, Ridley and Race-lite Pista - not too familiar with these. Also a Moda fresco, or FormeTR1.0??

Any advance on the above? im leaning towards the dolan i think....are there any other i should also consider?

700wheel 09-09-14 12:12 PM

I would say get a bike that best fits your body geometry. I've owned Benotto (steel), Bates (steel), Leader (alum), and Ridley (alum) framesets. The Ridley is the best fitting and handling bike I've owned to date. I ride masters TTs.

TurtleRacer 09-09-14 11:10 PM

Chain maintenance

How often do you clean/lube your chain? (I'm sure it differs if you're riding indoor vs outdoor tracks)

carleton 09-10-14 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by TurtleRacer (Post 17116830)
How often do you clean/lube your chain? (I'm sure it differs if you're riding indoor vs outdoor tracks)

It's not really a function of time. It's more of when it's gritty or dry.

carleton 09-10-14 04:10 PM

Does anyone have a link to results for the 2014 Pan-Am track championships that are happening now?

gl98115 09-10-14 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 17119053)
Does anyone have a link to results for the 2014 Pan-Am track championships that are happening now?

There are some results being posted on Twitter hashtag #ccpista . @FixedGearFever is retweeting random links as well. I couldn't find anything comprehensive, but I was only searching in English.

The daily resultados are posted here:

http://federacionmexicanadeciclismo.com.mx/

carleton 09-16-14 10:56 AM

Can someone offer a good example of a pursuit schedule and/or how you'd like to see it represented in a mobile app?

*The closest thing to a pursuit I've ever done is a kilo :D

Quinn8it 09-16-14 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 17135394)
Can someone offer a good example of a pursuit schedule and/or how you'd like to see it represented in a mobile app?

hey Carleton-
did you ever see the one that was on FGF?
you picked a goal time and a "start lap differential" and it gave you your goal splits. It also included things like cadence, speed, pedal revs per lap...

Im about as far from being a Pursuiter as you are.. But my understanding is most set a schedule based on even splits and then ramp up as the get near the end..

carleton 09-16-14 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 17135461)
hey Carleton-
did you ever see the one that was on FGF?
you picked a goal time and a "start lap differential" and it gave you your goal splits. It also included things like cadence, speed, pedal revs per lap...

Im about as far from being a Pursuiter as you are.. But my understanding is most set a schedule based on even splits and then ramp up as the get near the end..

I remember a spreadsheet of some sort. But I deleted it back in 2009 or so.

BTW, I have made lots of progress. I'll email you later today.

Quinn8it 09-16-14 12:13 PM

Another feature that's pretty cool- was included on that track app that came out a year or so ago (by a team USA sprinter)
was a standard UCI count down to the stopwatch starting.. Let your holder focus on holding you- and ten just do splits and stop

Hida Yanra 09-16-14 12:37 PM

mmmm I don't know where my pursuit sched is, gear bag is out on loan, but let me dig around and see what I can find?

700wheel 09-16-14 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 17135394)

Norman Sheil's Training Manual has pursuit schedules (see page 61- 69). Perhaps a little out of date today for elite riders but might be useful for some masters age groups.

carleton 09-16-14 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 700wheel (Post 17135823)
Norman Sheil's Training Manual has pursuit schedules (see page 61- 69). Perhaps a little out of date today for elite riders but might be useful for some masters age groups.

According to Amazon, it's out of print :(

carleton 09-16-14 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Quinn8it (Post 17135643)
Another feature that's pretty cool- was included on that track app that came out a year or so ago (by a team USA sprinter)
was a standard UCI count down to the stopwatch starting.. Let your holder focus on holding you- and ten just do splits and stop

Great idea!

Originally Posted by Hida Yanra (Post 17135716)
mmmm I don't know where my pursuit sched is, gear bag is out on loan, but let me dig around and see what I can find?

Thanks!

slindell 09-16-14 05:36 PM

Looking for something like this?: http://www.easterleycycling.org.uk/pursuit_schedule.xls

The simple method is to take the target time subtract 5 seconds for the start then divide by the lap count to get time per lap, add 5 back for the first lap.

The preferred method is to look at the calendar and if it is an odd numbered year it might be time to ride one.