Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Forum Suggestions & User Assistance (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Do we need to go to subscription only because of call girl thread? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1273893)

rsbob 06-01-23 11:45 PM

Do we need to go to subscription only because of call girl thread?

Or is there an intelligent way to zap them so they don’t appear using key words?

datlas 06-02-23 04:11 AM

I hope they are working on a solution that is better than the current whack-a-mole strategy.

livedarklions 06-02-23 04:34 AM

Making it subscription only is a cure that's worse than the disease. When I've seen that done, it basically kills the forum.

staehpj1 06-02-23 05:23 AM

I hope they manage to do even better at eliminating them, but they actually get rid of them pretty quickly.

shelbyfv 06-02-23 06:05 AM

Maybe recruit a West Coast mod who would be awake in the wee hours when the spammers hit.

livedarklions 06-02-23 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22909928)
Or is there an intelligent way to zap them so they don’t appear using key words?

Looks like they're being written to defeat that. Imagine what would happen if you zapped all posts containing "call" and "girls" and all or any of the place names.

skidder 06-02-23 07:20 AM

It might be getting into the Foo forum, too. There's one there right now with misspelling (to defeat detection?) - "Biek Foroomz mamber trip too Doobuy" poster is shown as 'base2.'

I didn't click on it, just put cursor over it to see what popped up, something about a $2000 airfare and Russian mafia running the place.

Yeah, subscriptions might help throttle the spammers, but not get rid of them entirely. Might it help to add something like a 'captcha' test as part of the log-in? ,

Chuck M 06-02-23 07:41 AM

I'll just give credit where credit is due. When I log in and see the board filled with spam posts, they don't last long. The mods, who volunteer, do a pretty good job of cleaning it up quickly.

indyfabz 06-02-23 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by skidder (Post 22910098)
It might be getting into the Foo forum, too. There's one there right now with misspelling (to defeat detection?) - "Biek Foroomz mamber trip too Doobuy" poster is shown as 'base2.'

I didn't click on it, just put cursor over it to see what popped up, something about a $2000 airfare and Russian mafia running the place.

Yeah, subscriptions might help throttle the spammers, but not get rid of them entirely. Might it help to add something like a 'captcha' test as part of the log-in? ,

base2 is a legitimate member. The thread is not a serious one. At least he started it in Foo.

Iride01 06-02-23 10:30 AM

Then only us BF members with nothing better to do would be here. And every year as we die off the member count will drop.

If you were looking for a site to discuss bike stuff would you pay from the getgo or would you go to the site that is free?

And if you give a free trial period, well then, for the purposes of the spammers it'd be the same as being entirely free. At least until all possible character/numeral combinations have been assigned as member names and the spammers that managed to join are banned.

But then we'd be back to the annual die-off decreasing the membership and no available member names for new people to use!

hmmm!

tomato coupe 06-02-23 12:04 PM

Do we need to go to subscription only because of call girl thread?

I'm not sure I'm willing to pay a subscription fee to see the call girl threads.

livedarklions 06-02-23 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22909989)
I hope they are working on a solution that is better than the current whack-a-mole strategy.

The current strategy is mass mole slaughter, followed by a week or two of peace. Frankly, it's only us early risers who even know it's going on.

Polaris OBark 06-02-23 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22910090)
Looks like they're being written to defeat that. Imagine what would happen if you zapped all posts containing "call" and "girls" and all or any of the place names.

They all have a large string of (I presume phone number) integers in the subject line. It should be straightforward to auto-delete those, or prevent them from being posted.

ThermionicScott 06-02-23 02:49 PM

Is it known whether they're all coming from the same ISP address?

Robvolz 06-02-23 03:52 PM

Now I really want to see this "call-girl" thread!!

Call me anything you want, just not late for dinner.

cb400bill 06-02-23 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 22910608)
Is it known whether they're all coming from the same ISP address?

No, they are not.

tyrion 06-02-23 05:56 PM

Is there a way to subscribe to just the call girl threads?

smontanaro 06-03-23 03:01 AM

Are other forum sites similarly afflicted? If not, why not? Are these nuisance threads being started by new users? If so, how long after signing up are they posting?

BTinNYC 06-03-23 04:58 AM

I don't think subscribers should be the only ones allowed to see Dubai Call Girls posts. Cycling is elitist enough already.
;P

livedarklions 06-03-23 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by tyrion (Post 22910778)
Is there a way to subscribe to just the call girl threads?

You might want to try a catfishing forum.

livedarklions 06-03-23 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 22911018)
Are other forum sites similarly afflicted? If not, why not? Are these nuisance threads being started by new users? If so, how long after signing up are they posting?

Whoever is doing it is remarkably unsophisticated. They appear to be manually creating accounts, posting 5 ads, then
crea​​​​​ting another account, in a process that takes hours to post, all in General Cycling. So at dawn, there will be about 2-3 pages of threads, all in order, easy to delete in seconds. You can see how many people have opened them, and it's clear that one or two will have been opened by anyone. That's probably me or one of the other early risers opening the thread to flag it for the mods. After that, they're always gone within the hour.

From a user perspective, at this point it just seems comical, a scammer wasting an entire 8 hour shift to absolutely no effect.

GhostRider62 06-03-23 06:04 AM

Subscription kills a forum.

unterhausen 06-05-23 10:40 PM

too bad you can't report a thread without opening it.

Need someone that's really good with regex to work on this issue. I can send you a zip file with 20000 examples.

zandoval 06-05-23 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22909998)
Making it subscription only is a cure that's worse than the disease. When I've seen that done, it basically kills the forum.

Just like that box asking for your cookies but not really giving ya a choice...

As far as the OP: No... I don't have a reasonable solution other then passing all posts through a human editor... Yikes!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f7b0da477.jpeg
Off The Net

Any of those Call Girls ride a bicycle?

Polaris OBark 06-05-23 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 22913947)
too bad you can't report a thread without opening it.

Need someone that's really good with regex to work on this issue. I can send you a zip file with 20000 examples.

I'm a hack, but if you could test the subject line like this for a string of integers, then it could work. I tested the following as a shell script (zsh/bash/ksh)

Code:

FOO="a blah ess spanyol 4558903335 bonjer monsyour"

if [[ $FOO =~ [0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9] ]];then
    print "Spammer"
fi