Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stuck SeatPost (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1224829)

Jakehodgi 03-01-21 05:09 PM

Stuck SeatPost

I've glued my seatpost into my bike, it kept slipping and this put a huge stop to it, unfortunately i glued it in to low lol. Dunno what glue i used tbh but it was some top tier industrial stuff.

Tried googling and youtubing it but not seen anything, anyone got any tips to get it out? It's full carbon

I'm thinking boiling hot water once i take the clamp out or some kind of liquid but not sure which kind.

Thanks,
Jake

bikeaddiction1 03-01-21 05:29 PM

If the post is slipping something else is wrong and you need to use carbon assembly paste.

Now that it is glued you will have trouble using enough heat to soften the adhesive without damaging the frame and / or post.

Litespud 03-01-21 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jakehodgi (Post 21947454)
I've glued my seatpost into my bike, it kept slipping and this put a huge stop to it, unfortunately i glued it in to low lol. Dunno what glue i used tbh but it was some top tier industrial stuff.

Tried googling and youtubing it but not seen anything, anyone got any tips to get it out? It's full carbon

I'm thinking boiling hot water once i take the clamp out or some kind of liquid but not sure which kind.

Thanks,
Jake

I'm tempted to say "throw yourself on the mercy of a decent carbon repair shop and hope that they have some ideas". If the frame was metal, you could probably section it out with a hacksaw blade (and that may still be the way to go), but it's going to be really difficult to avoid cutting through into the seat tube. Since you don't know what sort of glue you used, it's hard to know how best to dissolve it. Can you narrow the glue selection down? Even if you get the possibilities down to a few, you can investigate how each one may be addressed and try each solution out.
Could you cut off the top of the existing seat post and glue a suitably-sized, larger diameter post down over the stump?

Troul 03-01-21 05:43 PM

might be able to feed hot[ish] soapy water in the center of the seat post, & after a few minutes grab hold of the seat post with some vice grips. As you try to spin the post, give the post a few blows from a deadblow hammer. Keep feeding that soapy, almost hot, water.

Crankycrank 03-01-21 05:53 PM

Are both the seatpost and frame CF or is the frame metal and which metal? If you have any idea of what type of glue, epoxy, silicone, etc., that can also narrow it down as to how to take this on.

HillRider 03-01-21 07:37 PM

Sell the bike to someone shorter. :thumb:

veganbikes 03-01-21 09:04 PM

Ya did what now? Glue? Oy vey! A good lesson for all don't use glue on your bike. Use the correct stuff, grease, carbon paste, anti seize, threadlocker or proper size and torque and stuff.

With no info on the bike or what seatpost was used it is tough to really give you any useful advice. CA glue does have removal solutions but it may cause issues with your frame.

kaos joe 03-01-21 10:40 PM

Glue? GLUE?!!! I got nothin', except to reiterate that, next time, there are better solutions.

Ptcycles 03-01-21 11:24 PM

I feel your pain. One time I spot welded my seat post to the downtube. Made adjustment tough. At least I thought ahead and planned to use a grinder.
Good luck

Ptcycles 03-01-21 11:30 PM

Don't feel bad, I spot welded my seat post to my sea tube, and all I had was a cutting torch!

Troul 03-02-21 05:41 AM

I swear, if it was gorilla glue, even after all the recent poorly executed uses involving it....

Originally Posted by Ptcycles (Post 21947904)
I feel your pain. One time I spot welded my seat post to the downtube. Made adjustment tough. At least I thought ahead and planned to use a grinder.
Good luck

Originally Posted by Ptcycles (Post 21947910)
Don't feel bad, I spot welded my seat post to my sea tube, and all I had was a cutting torch!

Which was it?

Whatever you do, don't try spot welding CF together.

dsaul 03-02-21 05:58 AM

Find a saddle with taller rails. That post is never coming out.

Geepig 03-02-21 06:37 AM

The greatest risk in trying to remove such a post is surely not failing or succeeding, but in only partly succeeding ;)