Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=340)
-   -   Big Zwift Update (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1250749)

gthomson 04-26-22 06:45 PM

Big Zwift Update

Wow, got the usual Zwift Update prompt before getting into my ride and didn't think it was much of a big deal but then opened up Zwift and shazam! big interface changes. What do people think of the new interface? I will admit, it was a bit confusing at first. With a major change like this I would think they would market the heck out of this and prepare people for the significant changes.

Not sure I understand why they made these changes.

spelger 04-26-22 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by gthomson (Post 22485773)
Wow, got the usual Zwift Update prompt before getting into my ride and didn't think it was much of a big deal but then opened up Zwift and shazam! big interface changes. What do people think of the new interface? I will admit, it was a bit confusing at first. With a major change like this I would think they would market the heck out of this and prepare people for the significant changes.

I don't do zwift anymore but I still read their crappy forum to see what is going on so I knew this was coming. More will too. Probably did this because of the significant number of complaints...ans also it is 2022 after all.

chaadster 04-26-22 08:05 PM

Geez, I’m running the current v1.24.2 on my iPad, and it looks the same as it did last week, so that’s kind of a bummer; some big changes would have been welcomed by me. What system are you running it on, OP?

gthomson 04-27-22 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 22485876)
Geez, I’m running the current v1.24.2 on my iPad, and it looks the same as it did last week, so that’s kind of a bummer; some big changes would have been welcomed by me. What system are you running it on, OP?

I'm running on Windows 10 Enterprise on my ThinkPad. Here's what the new interface looks like when you sign in:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fc65026a6b.jpg

chaadster 04-27-22 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by gthomson (Post 22486144)
I'm running on Windows 10 Enterprise on my ThinkPad. Here's what the new interface looks like when you sign in:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fc65026a6b.jpg

Oooh…I like! Hopefully it comes to iPad soon!

schwim 04-27-22 07:17 AM

I'm still on the hunt for a cheap smart trainer locally. Just out of curiosity and so I can learn a bit more about it, can I ask what you folks are using to interface with the app? Wheel-on, hub, exercise bike?

chaadster 04-27-22 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by schwim (Post 22486164)
I'm still on the hunt for a cheap smart trainer locally. Just out of curiosity and so I can learn a bit more about it, can I ask what you folks are using to interface with the app? Wheel-on, hub, exercise bike?

That’s pretty off-topic and probably best asked in it’s own thread.

blacknbluebikes 04-27-22 10:28 AM

This morning (tue 4.27.22) I got the mandatory upgrade message for iOS on the iPad, but I did not see a new interface for that platform.

sdmc530 04-27-22 10:55 AM

not on apple tv yet either

gthomson 04-27-22 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by schwim (Post 22486164)

Just scroll down through the list of topics and there are a number of discussions about this. It's all based on budget, expectations, your environment, etc.... Some people will suggest going all out and buying a Kickr bike for the full experience or choose a wheel on trainer like the TacX Vortex which suits my needs for Zwifting up to 3/week and getting an amazing work out.

PeteHski 04-29-22 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by gthomson (Post 22485773)

Haven't had chance to use the new interface yet, but it looks much better for choosing events without having to use the Companion App. Otherwise meh.

unterhausen 05-02-22 03:36 PM

They must have wanted me to feel like an old person. Tried to select a route for a free ride and they only let me select the one they already picked. Might have to make it easier to see my computer screen.

spelger 05-03-22 07:31 AM

Used the new interface last night, not bad but not earth shattering either. reminds me of the tile/tablet style interface windows 10 tried to pass off with their new start menu. only thing i really liked was being able to see what routes i had already done. and speaking of routes...that is what is needed.

BTinNYC 05-03-22 07:40 AM

With Wahoo buying a Zwift competitor this week, I bet the Zwift upgrade release cycle happens more often.

Just an FYI, Zwift put all their Wahoo hardware on a 30% sale (which shook the moths out of my wallet).

schwim 05-03-22 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by BTinNYC (Post 22493350)
With Wahoo buying a Zwift competitor this week, I bet the Zwift upgrade release cycle happens more often.

Just an FYI, Zwift put all their Wahoo hardware on a 30% sale (which shook the moths out of my wallet).

Ahh, this must be why the wheel-on trainer went out of stock and never got restocked.

gthomson 05-03-22 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by BTinNYC (Post 22493350)

When did they the sale start? Sounds like a good reason to upgrade if that was already planned.

unterhausen 05-07-22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by schwim (Post 22493352)
Ahh, this must be why the wheel-on trainer went out of stock and never got restocked.

I haven't tracked their hardware sales, but they also let the stages bike go out of stock and now it's not on the website. So possibly they don't keep stocked at this time of year when people aren't buying indoor exercise equipment?

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 22492634)
They must have wanted me to feel like an old person. Tried to select a route for a free ride and they only let me select the one they already picked.

I figured out what happened, I had inadvertently clicked on a route as the list opened and didn't see the 'x' to get rid of it. Cemented my status as an old person when I clicked on the x to close the app the next time I tried it.

msu2001la 05-09-22 09:54 AM

I like the new Zwift interface and update.

1. I can now access the garage without first needing to start a ride, so I can switch to the bike I want first and not have to start, stop & switch, then re-start.
2. There are four new Watopia routes. 3 little sisters, 3 flat loops, downtown Titans, and Eastern Eight.
3. I can now ride ANY route in ANY world while doing a workout.

So far so good.

spelger 05-09-22 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by msu2001la (Post 22500387)
I like the new Zwift interface and update.

1. I can now access the garage without first needing to start a ride, so I can switch to the bike I want first and not have to start, stop & switch, then re-start.
2. There are four new Watopia routes. 3 little sisters, 3 flat loops, downtown Titans, and Eastern Eight.
3. I can now ride ANY route in ANY world while doing a workout.

So far so good.

are these really new routes? or just names for routes composed of existing roads? Last i looked i did not notice these. it would be good to have actual new roads, it why i liked the makuri islands country side so much.

msu2001la 05-09-22 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by spelger (Post 22500408)
are these really new routes? or just names for routes composed of existing roads? Last i looked i did not notice these. it would be good to have actual new roads, it why i liked the makuri islands country side so much.

New routes, same roads. I’m sure some Makuri expansion are a coming soon. Mt Fuji is right there…

unterhausen 05-10-22 07:54 AM

So close to letting us ride wherever we want.
I swear whenever I go on zwift, the guest worlds are the ones I'm absolutely sick of.

spelger 05-10-22 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 22501475)
I swear whenever I go on zwift, the guest worlds are the ones I'm absolutely sick of.

unless the latest update prevents it just use the zwift world hack. i've used that so many times for the same reasons as you. the two guest worlds i dislike are paris and richmond, way too flat for my taste.

blacknbluebikes 05-10-22 10:39 AM

Richmond is interesting to me because I was there in 2015. Even rode the course with an "after hours" event.

msu2001la 05-10-22 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 22501475)

Agreed. I never ride Richmond, Yorkshire or Paris and only rarely ride Insbruck. Luckily there's lots of stuff in Watopia that holds my interest still.

spelger 05-10-22 01:25 PM

forgot yorkshire. only thing good about that is that short 22% climb on the west side. my trainer only goes to 20 though. there is a 27% that i ride IRL though. short too, thankfully.