Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   If you had to choose... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1250845)

taylorgeo 04-28-22 10:35 AM

If you had to choose...

...would you buy a new helmet based on Consumer Reports testing or Virginia Tech testing?

veganbikes 04-28-22 11:02 AM

Whichever one listed the Lazer Z1 or new G1. I really have loved my Lazer helmet and really have no interest in changing to anything else at the moment.

10 Wheels 04-28-22 11:04 AM

nope

Milton Keynes 04-28-22 11:08 AM

I assume anything sold in the store or LBS would meet at least the minimum requirements, so I'd just go with whatever there fits my noggin.

seypat 04-28-22 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 22487867)
I assume anything sold in the store or LBS would meet at least the minimum requirements, so I'd just go with whatever there fits my noggin.

This. Then stay with that brand.

zandoval 04-28-22 11:17 AM

No...

I gotta put my hands on it, wear it, strap it down, double check the padding, consider its longevity, and lastly make sure it fits my "les fringues".

My life was saved by a cheap Walmart Bell ChiCom helmet... Nuf Said...

Koyote 04-28-22 11:21 AM

Other things equal, I'd go with VA Tech.

Rolla 04-28-22 11:33 AM

I've never taken anyone's testing into consideration when choosing a helmet. I like Smith, so that's what I usually buy.

70sSanO 04-28-22 11:52 AM

My only concern with Virginia Tech’s testing is whether any Delta fraternity was used in the testing process.

John

DonkeyShow 04-28-22 11:56 AM

The one that fits comfortably and looks good. I'm sure it won't make a huge difference when I crash as long as it's a decent modern helmet.

philbob57 04-28-22 03:10 PM

I bought a helmet yesterday. I used the VPI site to narrow down my choices. Alas, many helmets of interest (current Smith models, for example, and Abus) haven't been tested. The real problem, though, is that I couldn't find many retailers with helmets of interest actually in stock. No Smith, no POC, no Abus (except their urban helmets), none of the Lazer MIPS versions in my size, no Giant, etc. Many of the the lower-priced (my limit was $160) helmets that tested well are simply not in stock at an LBS close to me. I took my list of helmets that tested well at VPI, and matched them to what was available.

I'm very glad I tried the helmets on. I found a couple that both tested well and fit as if they were made for my head. One of the ones I would have bought without the VPI list both tested relatively poorly and fit poorly - I just couldn't find an adjustment that was comfortable. That would have been a real PITA if I had bought online.

The VPI shortlist saved me a lot of time, since I found a helmet that fit. If none of the shortlist had fit as well as this one did, I'd have broadened my search beyond the shortlist. This is the best fitting helmet I'ver ever had, and I think I got my first helmet in 1979, maybe even earlier. (Alas, I don't know if that makes it safer.)

thehammerdog 04-28-22 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by taylorgeo (Post 22487797)
...would you buy a new helmet based on Consumer Reports testing or Virginia Tech testing?

i pick the cool looking one.

Milton Keynes 04-28-22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by zandoval (Post 22487885)
My life was saved by a cheap Walmart Bell ChiCom helmet... Nuf Said...

Last fall I was saved from a concussion and likely stitches in my forehead by a cheap Walmart Schwinn helmet.

indyfabz 04-28-22 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22487957)
My only concern with Virginia Tech’s testing is whether any Delta fraternity was used in the testing process.

John

“Seven years of college down the drain!”—J. Blutarski

Camilo 04-28-22 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 22487867)

Same here.

OldTryGuy 04-28-22 03:41 PM

*If you had to choose...*

OOPS, I would have to delay purchase for a bit since I just bought a 2010 Miata. :D

Polaris OBark 04-28-22 03:44 PM

They are complementary tests, so if you find one that scores high on both, it is confidence-inspiring. I bought a bunch of Bontrager Wave-Cell helmets for the family after a local tragedy. (They scored high on both.)

tkamd73 04-28-22 04:39 PM

Doesn’t matter to me if either did. I’d just buy one from my LBS that fits properly, and is at least somewhat comfortable, so that I actually wear it.
Tim

CAT7RDR 04-28-22 04:49 PM

The only problem I have with Virginia Tech is their mascot is a castrated turkey. :D

70sSanO 04-28-22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR (Post 22488294)
The only problem I have with Virginia Tech is their mascot is a castrated turkey. :D

Good thing they are not testing athletic supporters.

John

jamesdak 04-28-22 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 22488206)
*If you had to choose...*

OOPS, I would have to delay purchase for a bit since I just bought a 2010 Miata. :D

Pics or it didn't happen! Damn I miss my NC!

rumrunn6 04-28-22 05:14 PM

I wouldn't read either. I just bought a name brand helmet & I'm moving on

wolfchild 04-28-22 05:27 PM

There is no difference in protection between various bike helmets...All bike helmets have to meet certain standards even the cheap ones sold through wallmart and other big box stores.

jadmt 04-28-22 05:46 PM

I just bought one at Costco. fit and has a red flashing light built in. In the old days I had all the fancy top of the line ones and I doubt I will get any less protection than the costco special.

veganbikes 04-28-22 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 22488345)
I just bought one at Costco. fit and has a red flashing light built in. In the old days I had all the fancy top of the line ones and I doubt I will get any less protection than the costco special.

Well typically the cheaper helmets are made more to just barely pass the tests then to actually exceed them. There is a reason why there are higher end helmets and part of it is protection on some levels and some of it is weight and ventilation and more importantly they actually have some R&D going into the helmets. In some cases these cheap helmets are copied(ish) on old molds from the 90s.

Yes the Costco helmet is going to be better than no helmet at all but there are differences in this stuff, having tried a lot of different helmets over the years I can say my higher priced helmets are a lot more comfortable all around and I know a lot of these companies are doing testing to make the helmets safer.