Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   We're going to yell at you. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=200479)

mollusk 06-26-09 07:26 AM

On last night's hammerfest there were 6 of us up front in the rotation. The guy behind me asked that I slow down just a little more quickly after I rotated off. I obliged. No yelling was involved, but it made me think of this thread fondly.

Bob Ross 06-26-09 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by adriano (Post 9132314)
is there a good summary of rules of group riding?

Originally Posted by wfrogge (Post 9132417)
Just do as your told and all will be fine.

...bearing in mind that the louder you are told something, the more important a rule it is. That's why this thread is such a critical read: It's all about the stuff people will yell at you, and so clearly it's about the Most Important Stuff.

Really.

rog 06-26-09 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by EventServices (Post 9133339)
If I see a thread that's three years old, 50 pages long, doesn't get locked, and keeps returning at semi-regular intervals, I might be curious about the nonsense.

Christ, this has been going on three years? Damn you, botto!

Do you still do this ride?

BCDon 07-01-09 09:48 PM

Ummmm, if the group ride is hammering at 30MPH then I find it unlikely that a noob with zero experience is going to do anything but get dropped at the start, especially if there is a nice little hill soon out. If the noob can't ride a paceline he'll be working so hard to just attempt to keep up to the back of the pack he can likely be ignored.

Should he get good enough to stay with the pack and actually get to the front, let him accelerate off the front. He'll be by himself, waste what little energy he has and will eventually look back and see he has a lead out. He'll then slow down and the group will ride by dropping him as he won't have enough energy to accelerate back into the group and he won't be smart enough to start picking up his speed as the group approaches. Believe I know from many, many years ago when I made this dumb mistake. A far worse offense is to stop pedalling while standing when I'm behind you. You need to stand to keep the pace up while climbing - great BUT, learn to do it in a manner where you keep the pedals turning and don't suddenly slow down.

halfspeed 07-01-09 09:59 PM

I got yelled at tonight. I deserved it. We moved on. I won't make the same mistake. Everything's fine. Why is this even an issue?

kudude 07-01-09 11:59 PM

^^ b/c people get their feelings hurt and don't move on

RecceDG 07-02-09 05:31 AM

I got yelled at for the first time during this Tuesday night ride.

The weather was looking ominous so a bunch of the usual suspects didn't show - including the group leader who usually controls the pace, route, and format. Younger crowd than usual. And then 10 min into the ride, we met up with another group (most of them in the same kit) and the gloves came off.

We usually do a 2-rank paceline with the guys on the front taking a pull until the next lateral; they get the group through and then the group pulls through. Very civilized, and for a n00b like myself, easy to understand. This time, it was a total free for all with no organization for the first half of the ride, and the pace was significantly faster than normal - 40-45 kph. I was at or near the back, trying my damnedest not to get dropped.

Midway, the pace slowed somewhat (the guys leading the charge got tired) and I wound up at the front with another slower rider. We took a good long pull at about 37 kph and nobody seemed to mind.

After we got the group through an intersection and the group pulled through, the speed went back up again, but this time, the front was doing a continuously revolving paceline. I had never seen one of these before - at first, I didn't recognise what was going on - and I got yelled at (really, more like snarked at) a couple of times because I wan't fitting in to the rotation properly.

I finally figured out what was going on and got properly into the rotation, but I was having a hard time maintaining the pace and rotating at the same time so I popped off the back of the rotating section and let them cycle right in front of me. A couple of other weaker riders joined me there and we just kinda held on.

I finished with the lead group, which was an accomplishement (some guys got dropped) and being behind the rotation let me watch so I have a better idea now of how that works, so I think if this happens again I'll be able to do a better job of blending in. And I didn't cause a wreck so it's all good.

DG

EventServices 07-02-09 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by RecceDG (Post 9206180)
- and I got yelled at (really, more like snarked at) And I didn't cause a wreck so it's all good.

DG

Mods, please do not change the thread title to "we're going to snark at you".

chipcom 07-02-09 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by EventServices (Post 9206227)

now ya tell me :o

botto 07-02-09 06:01 AM

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

chipcom 07-02-09 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by EventServices (Post 9206227)

Originally Posted by chipcom (Post 9206236)
now ya tell me :o

Originally Posted by botto (Post 9206247)
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Don't snark at me because I'm a dogooder.

patentcad 07-02-09 06:15 AM

Chipcom should lose his Mod Blue Star for changing the title of this thread. He should then be banned for life, and burned at the stake.

I would, of course, inherit his considerable stash of Toll House Cookie Dough, stored deep in a refrigerated bunker in remote Greenland.

chipcom 07-02-09 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 9206289)
Chipcom should lose his Mod Blue Star for changing the title of this thread. He should then be banned for life, and burned at the stake.

I would, of course, inherit his considerable stash of Toll House Cookie Dough, stored deep in a refrigerated bunker in remote Greenland.

guaranteed pre-e coli too...but you ain't in my will anymore. I traded you to Michael Jackson's mom for Joe Jackson and a pony.

You are obviously delusional and paranoid, this thread title was never changed. It was all a bad dream. Rest now, old man.

halfspeed 07-02-09 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by kudude (Post 9205749)
^^ b/c people get their feelings hurt and don't move on

There's no crying in cycling.

jpoaps 07-02-09 06:58 AM

amen....good points.

pit_usa 07-02-09 07:02 AM

I going to WEAR a FULL BATTLE GEAR NEXT TIME I RIDE...........

Just to be safe....:D

mjdwyer23 07-02-09 07:54 AM

Here's my training kit:
http://www.shootingusa.com/TV_SCHEDU...Gear_SuitL.jpg

Homebrew01 07-02-09 08:00 AM

I've been yelled at a few times recently .... by newbies in races ............ It's rather amusing :lol:

I think I now have a new goal other than winning ..... to get yelled at by someone who should be listening & learning.

wanders 07-02-09 08:01 AM

I get laughed at.

botto 07-02-09 08:03 AM

lately, i've been going out of my way to not yell.

badfishgood 07-02-09 08:14 AM

pay attention freds... i know you're out there.

morphius 07-02-09 08:58 AM

Grabbing someone by the jersey to physically "remove" them from the line

LOL, you will be sorry if you did this to me. After 8 years of MMA experience, this might be the last day you have ridden. Watch out who you grabbing, he might know how to hospitalize you.
I like to see the idiot that try this on me.

chipcom 07-02-09 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9206985)

LOL, you will be sorry if you did this to me. After 8 years of MMA experience, this might be the last day you have ridden. Watch out who you grabbing, he might know how to hospitalize you.

Manly Moms of America? :innocent:

Flatballer 07-02-09 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9206985)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...etToughGuy.jpg

wanders 07-02-09 09:11 AM

Does watching Ultimate Fighter qualify as MMA experience?