Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Identify this (Carlton?) frame (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1230943)

wasianamerican 05-20-21 01:35 PM

Identify this (Carlton?) frame

Hi c&v, I need another project bike like I need a hole in the head but this one is keeping me up at night. It's a complete bike that has been repainted and the headbadge removed. No idea if the parts are original, but looking at the stem (also can't identify) I would guess not. The seller says it's a Raleigh.
The brazed-on rear cable bridge and the wrapover seat stays make me wonder if this is a Carlton product? My first guess was a Grand Prix, but I haven't seen one yet with lugs that long and pointed. I also have no idea if the fork is original but my 1975 Gran Sport frame has a fully chromed 531 fork different from the catalog, so anything is possible.
I don't expect this to be a hidden gem, but I recently wrecked my commuter and this might be a good replacement. If anything, trying to identify it has been a fun distraction. Anything I can ask the seller?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...80ddbe2ab2.jpg

rando_couche 05-20-21 02:03 PM

Judging from the shape of the rear dropouts and headlugs, I'm going to say early 70's Nishiki Semi-Pro.

wasianamerican 05-20-21 02:10 PM

Wow, it sure looks like it. I guess the cable bridge does have the adjuster mounted rather than the hole drilled for a barrel adjuster to thread in.

oneclick 05-20-21 02:14 PM

The rear brake-cable hanger says Dawes to me, fits with wrapover stays, but the dropouts look too simple.

juvela 05-20-21 02:16 PM

-----

i was thinking Nishiki Kokusai...which is the same thing...name varied with year

headset is Tange MA60

expect plain guage chromo tubing

companion of knife & spoon a definite replacement

that's a Kawamura product you have there - done for Howie Cohen

-----

bikemig 05-20-21 02:59 PM

I'll bet a Nishiki semi pro would make a fine commuter. From what I've seen, this bike should have ample clearance for large volume tires and fenders.

repechage 05-20-21 04:23 PM

T-Mar probably could nail down the production year with the serial number.
The headbadge holes I bet line up with Nishiki.

Dylansbob 05-20-21 07:03 PM

Didn't those Nishiki's use a Schwinn-sized stem as well as a further identifier.

unworthy1 05-21-21 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dylansbob (Post 22069043)
Didn't those Nishiki's use a Schwinn-sized stem as well as a further identifier.

Some did, this is the version with a 21.15mm (I think?) quill, also measured as .833" (again , I think) which was used on many American makes besides Schwinn as well as many more Asian makes besides Nishiki, but MOSTly seen on BMX bikes. Then they lost out as JIS/ISO standards adopted the far more common 22.2 (or 7/8") quill.

The Kokusai model tracks to the later International, AFAIK, and these usually have the very thin tapered stay caps rather than the wrap-over (which is more of a "Semi-Pro feature"), although I do not have the WCC catalogs memorized so YMMV. ;)

unworthy1 05-21-21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by bikemig (Post 22068718)
I'll bet a Nishiki semi pro would make a fine commuter. From what I've seen, this bike should have ample clearance for large volume tires and fenders.

IIRC they came with 27" x 1-1/4" as stock rollers and still had room!

juvela 05-21-21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by unworthy1 (Post 22070142)
IIRC they came with 27" x 1-1/4" as stock rollers and still had room!

-----

gotta fit "them thar guards"

-----

John E 05-22-21 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by juvela (Post 22068669)
-----

i was thinking Nishiki Kokusai...which is the same thing...name varied with year

headset is Tange MA60

expect plain guage chromo tubing

companion of knife & spoon a definite replacement

that's a Kawamura product you have there - done for Howie Cohen

-----

Nishiki Semi-Pro = Competition; double-butted Ishiwata CrMo
Nishiki Kokusai = International; plain gauge Ishiwata CrMo

My 1971 Semi-Pro had elaborate head lugs and downtube shift levers; by the 1972 model year they had switched to simpler lugs and barcons and raised the price from $170 to $190

What is your S/N? Mine was KS78091.

Wraparound seat stays and simple stamped rear dropouts do suggest Nishiki.

wasianamerican 05-23-21 01:06 PM

I'm pretty curious now, I'll ask the seller for a serial if they can find it.
Any thoughts on the stem? It looks somewhat like a Pivo or Carnielli, but not quite. Would a french stem be small enough to get into a .833 steerer? On paper no, but perhaps sloppy tolerances...

Charles Wahl 05-23-21 08:12 PM

French stem is nominally 22.0 mm, or 0.866". I'd say that's a "no go".

wasianamerican 05-23-21 08:41 PM

Seller says serial is KS131898W, I'll go brush up on my serial numbers in the c&v stickied thread and report back

Hummer 05-28-21 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by wasianamerican (Post 22073017)
Seller says serial is KS131898W, I'll go brush up on my serial numbers in the c&v stickied thread and report back

A Nishiki Semi-Pro circa 1972, based on the serial number.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...beac8e10c8.jpg