Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Tandem Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Question tire pressure (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1242374)

kwekey 11-16-21 08:36 PM

Question tire pressure

I have a noob question about tire pressures on Tandem Bike.
When I in-flat the tires to recommended pressure, it seems that they will flatten out very slightly. I am not sure if this due to the weight of 2 person on the bike itself.
Do you usually in-flat tires beyond recommended considering the additional weight on a tandem bike?

Leisesturm 11-16-21 11:32 PM

I do not. Modern thinking on tire pressure is that we have been running them too high as it is.I've been running my halfbike pressures 10lb below max. For the tandem max pressure should be fine.

ThermionicScott 11-17-21 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by kwekey (Post 22310175)
I have a noob question about tire pressures on Tandem Bike.
When I in-flat the tires to recommended pressure, it seems that they will flatten out very slightly. I am not sure if this due to the weight of 2 person on the bike itself.
Do you usually in-flat tires beyond recommended considering the additional weight on a tandem bike?

If you're thinking of the tires pooching out a little at the bottom when you climb on the bike, that's normal. It's what pneumatic tires do.

Where are you getting the "recommended pressure", though?

zandoval 11-17-21 12:10 AM

I run my tires about 5-10 PSI below max tire pressure. Lately I have been using fatter tires and yes they do appear to be flattening out when viewed from above as when siting on the bicycle seat. But if viewed from the side they are not flat at all. Get someone to look closely at the tires when you are ridding to make sure.

kwekey 11-17-21 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 22310319)
If you're thinking of the tires pooching out a little at the bottom when you climb on the bike, that's normal. It's what pneumatic tires do.

Where are you getting the "recommended pressure", though?

I was referring to the tire pressure printed on the tire itself.

ThermionicScott 11-17-21 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by kwekey (Post 22310327)
I was referring to the tire pressure printed on the tire itself.

Ah. Usually, that's not really a "recommended" pressure, but a max.

I'd suggest that if you're not getting pinch flats, or have "wallowy" steering, you probably have enough air in the tires. :thumb:

kwekey 11-17-21 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 22310335)
Ah. Usually, that's not really a "recommended" pressure, but a max.

I'd suggest that if you're not getting pinch flats, or have "wallowy" steering, you probably have enough air in the tires. :thumb:

Thanks Scotts

kwekey 11-17-21 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by zandoval (Post 22310322)
I run my tires about 5-10 PSI below max tire pressure. Lately I have been using fatter tires and yes they do appear to be flattening out when viewed from above as when siting on the bicycle seat. But if viewed from the side they are not flat at all. Get someone to look closely at the tires when you are ridding to make sure.

Hi, noted your advice.. TYVM

LV2TNDM 11-25-21 04:24 AM

I run my 28C Continental Gatorskins, rated at 120psi at 120psi on my road tandems (aluminum and steel). You are perfectly fine running a bicycle tire at "Max" pressure, assuming industry standard parts and proper installation.

I know some road tandem teams who exceed the max pressure on the sidewall by about 20 psi. I don't do this, nor recommend it. But people do it.

However, today there's a move to much wider road tires. Avoiding harsh riding and improving comfort are the usual reasons. And several tires have been shown to have lower rolling resistance at lower than max pressures. (The historic assumption was that the higher the pressure, the lower the resistance. Not necessarily true.)

But avoiding pinch flats and rim damage should be your main concern on a tandem. Since they carry much more weight, tire pressures historically were always at the high end. But again, today's bikes with greater tire clearance allow wider tires, which require and function well with lower pressures. Better for off road performance as well.

rumrunn6 11-25-21 06:35 AM

they don't look like this, do they?
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a8a25d71ca.jpg

New2Two 11-25-21 12:22 PM

We are a 350 pound team. Running 700x32c Conti GP5000 with tubes on Spinergy wheels. Max tire pressure on the tire is 110ish. We run about 90-95 psi and haven't flatted. Bike still feels fast and has a bit more comfort due to the lower pressure over rough roads.

DangerousDanR 11-25-21 03:48 PM

We also run 700X32C GP5000 but we run tubeless. Also on Spinergy wheels. Our working pressure is right at the 87 PSI listed as the maximum on the box they came in. All up with the panniers and our normal gear we are a little over 450 pounds. If the pressure drops below 75 PSI we can really feel the effort to move the bike increase.