Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I want a trunk bike rack for my 1995 Corolla sedan with trunk spolier (rear wing (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1283248)

JonBailey 11-02-23 09:59 AM

I want a trunk bike rack for my 1995 Corolla sedan with trunk spolier (rear wing

Is there any good bicycle rack to fit this automobile right? I don't know if this spoiler is stock or aftermarket. I would prefer a 1 bike rack. 2 bike rack would be my second choice.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4cbfa12a8f.jpg

roadcrankr 11-02-23 10:14 AM

I own one similar to this model. Works well between an SUV and sedan. Low price. One or two bike models.

Amazon.com : Allen Sports Ultra Compact Folding 1-Bike Trunk Mount Rack, Model MT1-B, Gray powder coated : Sports & Outdoors

RB1-luvr 11-02-23 10:57 AM

a Saris Bones will fit that. If they still make them.

squirtdad 11-02-23 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr (Post 23059710)

that was what i was thinking also

a side note as have no idea what bikes OP has, but avoid putting carbon bikes on a rack where they hang from top tube....(per thule and more than one bike brand)

JonBailey 11-02-23 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 23059815)
that was what i was thinking also

a side note as have no idea what bikes OP has, but avoid putting carbon bikes on a rack where they hang from top tube....(per thule and more than one bike brand)

Oh, my bike, aluminum Schwinn Discover, men's 700c, hybrid

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1338482b68.jpg

JonBailey 11-02-23 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr (Post 23059710)

They do, they can be more pricey than Allen brand ones, however:

https://www.amazon.com/Saris-Bones-805-2-Bike-Trunk/dp/B000BT30RK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1D1B9KC09Q36C&keywords=saris%2Bbones%2B2%2Bbike%2Brack&qid=1698951751&sprefix=Saris% 2BBones%2Caps%2C284&sr=8-5&th=1&psc=1

RB1-luvr 11-02-23 01:23 PM

right. It's been a while since I bought my Bones. I see they are about $200 now.

JonBailey 11-02-23 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr (Post 23059882)
right. It's been a while since I bought my Bones. I see they are about $200 now.

I just threw away $200+ and ordered the damned BONES!
These BONES are not cheap like the kind you toss to a dog.
Do you have any BONES to pick with Saris about their lofty price?

dedhed 11-02-23 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by JonBailey (Post 23060230)

​​​​​​https://saris.com/blogs/saris-blog/b...ade-in-the-usa

veganbikes 11-02-23 09:52 PM

A rack is a safety device first, if that rack fails it won't really effect you right away but the people behind you could have a really bad day if it fails. Cheaping out on a rack secured with some nylon straps holding some heavy objects on a fast moving vehicle is not a good idea. Trunk racks are not really a great idea but they are what they are so if I can get one that is of high quality and well supported I am in much better shape and if I install it on the car properly following their instructions and check it regularly and not leave it on the car I have a better chance of success. Plus with a company like Saris in particular I get a rack made in the U.S. which is pretty nice and is always good if I can support quality American manufacturing.

I get that spending more on the rack than on the bike is a bit tough but hopefully you will have a new bike which will be quite a bit more than that rack as you get to enjoy things more. It will likely be lighter, shift better, brake better and hopefully come from a place that sells bikes and not a random assortment of stuff.

biker128pedal 11-03-23 04:32 AM

Put a hitch on the car and get an Allen hitch rack. Secure and easy.

search etrailer.com for a hitch. They have good installation videos.

dedhed 11-03-23 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 23060263)
Cheaping out on a rack secured with some nylon straps holding some heavy objects on a fast moving vehicle is not a good idea.

Nylon straps secure heavy loads on fast moving vehicles every minute of every day as well as lifting heavy loads.
Properly used nylon straps shouldn't be an issue as truck drivers, crane operators, and rock climbers will attest.

datlas 11-03-23 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by JonBailey (Post 23060230)

Good choice. I expect you will be pleased.

RB1-luvr 11-03-23 06:04 AM

agreed. You'll like it. Well designed, adaptable, easy to use, secure.

t2p 11-03-23 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by dedhed (Post 23060385)
Nylon straps secure heavy loads on fast moving vehicles every minute of every day as well as lifting heavy loads.
Properly used nylon straps shouldn't be an issue as truck drivers, crane operators, and rock climbers will attest.

correct - but truck loads, crane lifts, etc are not secured with nylon straps attached to and sitting on a trunk lid with small clips and rubber pads sitting on thin sheet metal (trunk lid)

not a fan of trunk mounted racks

dedhed 11-03-23 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 23060487)
correct - but truck loads, crane lifts, etc are not secured with nylon straps attached to and sitting on a trunk lid with small clips and rubber pads sitting on thin sheet metal (trunk lid)

And bicycles are not heavy loads with the straps connected by metal hooks to roll formed edges.

Kapusta 11-03-23 11:09 AM

Trunk mounted racks are not idiot proof, so idiots should not use them.

Smart people can secure them just fine.

I don’t think CF with hanging racks are a dealbreaker, as long as they are cradles (not clamps) and you use extra straps to make sure the bike does not swing or move in the rack.

I drove well over 10K miles over the course of a few summers (long road trips) with a CF road bike in a hanging rack. Zero scratches or scuffs.

SkinGriz 11-03-23 11:58 AM

I’d ditch the wing on the car asap.

Great car BTW. I’ve had 2 98 corollas.

SkinGriz 11-03-23 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 23060487)

I’m not saying trunk mounted racks are great from a structural perspective.

But, I’ve installed a hitch on a unibody car for my mom before, and I’m not all that convinced it was structurally that great either. If I remember correctly, equally thin steel with big fender washers to spread the load.

Jicafold 11-04-23 12:12 PM

Take the rear wing off. It probably reduces your fuel economy anyways.

mpetry912 11-11-23 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by dedhed (Post 23060385)

Sure. those flimsy 1" straps that have been sitting in the sun for 5 years are perfectly good, right ?

Portlanders killed while biking in Napa, California – BikePortland

From the article: "Law enforcement officials say the driver’s load of lumber shifted just as he passed the Deatons
and a piece of wood hit both of them. Christian died at the scene and Michelle died shortly after at the hospital."

dedhed 11-11-23 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by mpetry912 (Post 23068811)
Sure. those flimsy 1" straps that have been sitting in the sun for 5 years are perfectly good, right ?

Portlanders killed while biking in Napa, California – BikePortland

From the article: "Law enforcement officials say the driver’s load of lumber shifted just as he passed the Deatons
and a piece of wood hit both of them. Christian died at the scene and Michelle died shortly after at the hospital."

Key words in my post - "Properly used"

datlas 11-11-23 06:14 PM

So how do you like the rack???