Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

madras13 07-18-22 03:02 PM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 22568520)
I have a 1972 that same brown, but the finish is all dinged and a lot of the brown is rust. I'd like to fix it up for Mrs. Road Fan so she can ride the Lake Pepin with me next year. Maybe I'll just strip it down and have it powdered or may be I can get on Franklin's list for a delivery next January ...

Anybody know a source of good decals?

There is a nail polish that is a great match for touching up the root beer brown paint. I think I learned about it from this forum. The maker is Sally Hansen and it is color # 159, Spice age Miracle gel. I use the applicator for the touch ups and then come back a week later with rubbing compound and level it all out. You could try naval jelly on rust before you apply polish in rusty areas. I found the polish on Amazon.

Adair 07-20-22 01:59 PM

Hello all,
I had a vintage three speed bike that I found in a garden in Aachen Germany 25 years ago. It sported a "Willie Whilms" badge on the head tube. It was a lugged frame threespeed. I rode it until the hub exploded on the cobbles, but I've always wanted to find a photo of a similar bike for nostalgic reasons. I'm probably butchering the name, but does anyone recognize that?
-Adair

SirMike1983 07-21-22 12:15 PM

A nice mixture of Schwinn and Raleigh utility bikes - photo from a few weeks ago. I don't think I ever posted it here.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...620_170123.jpg

Adair 07-21-22 12:23 PM

Nice looking fleet, what a collection!
-Adair

gster 07-22-22 07:49 PM


Originally Posted by Adair (Post 22582533)
Nice looking fleet, what a collection!
-Adair

Seconded.

rich110 07-24-22 07:36 AM

I just picked up a dawes kingpin (3 speed SA) and went to service the hub but it now (didn't test before) makes a noise when freewheeling like a dry bearing scraping sound.

I had cleaned out, re-oiled, re-greased. The internals were completely dry but minimal surface rust on the inside shell. cone bearings look basically new and were full of relatively new grease, no scoring on the cones. I didn't see anything wrong inside. The bearings that sit under the driver were a golden colour, maybe lost their coatings?

Sidenote: the drive size cone was originally over 180 degrees wound out with lots of play in the cone, sheldon says 45-135 degrees. I have set the cones correctly.

steve21108 07-24-22 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=rich110;22585645]I just picked up a dawes kingpin (3 speed SA) and went to service the hub but it now (didn't test before) makes a noise when freewheeling like a dry bearing scraping sound.

Is there an ISO/ERTO size on the tires?

rich110 07-24-22 10:22 AM

[QUOTE=steve21108;22585726]

Originally Posted by rich110 (Post 22585645)
I just picked up a dawes kingpin (3 speed SA) and went to service the hub but it now (didn't test before) makes a noise when freewheeling like a dry bearing scraping sound.

Is there an ISO/ERTO size on the tires?

37 440 500A

It makes the noise even with the wheel removed from the frame

steve21108 07-24-22 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=rich110;22585809]

Originally Posted by steve21108 (Post 22585726)

37 440 500A

It makes the noise even with the wheel removed from the frame

Thanks. I have two Dawes Kingpins in storage with no tires. Looks like I will have to replace the rims.

bluesteak 07-24-22 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=rich110;22585809][QUOTE=steve21108;22585726]

37 440 500A

It makes the noise even with the wheel removed from the frame[/QUOTE

Maybe because you adjusted the cones the oil seals are rubbing?

Salubrious 07-25-22 10:59 AM


Originally Posted by rich110 (Post 22585645)
I just picked up a dawes kingpin (3 speed SA) and went to service the hub but it now (didn't test before) makes a noise when freewheeling like a dry bearing scraping sound.

I had cleaned out, re-oiled, re-greased. The internals were completely dry but minimal surface rust on the inside shell. cone bearings look basically new and were full of relatively new grease, no scoring on the cones. I didn't see anything wrong inside. The bearings that sit under the driver were a golden colour, maybe lost their coatings?

That golden color is a very thin layer of old grease. It takes a bit to clean them up! But I would not worry about it too much- if you have done everything properly and use the bike that will be gone soon enough.

Tiny_Valkyrie 07-25-22 02:50 PM

I have a random question; has any one put a drop bar on their Raleigh Sports 3-speed (step-through)? if so, how was the ride/handling?

Salubrious 07-25-22 03:27 PM


Originally Posted by Tiny_Valkyrie (Post 22587294)
I have a random question; has any one put a drop bar on their Raleigh Sports 3-speed (step-through)? if so, how was the ride/handling?

The three speeds are very similar geometry to several of Raleigh's ten speeds so you should be able to make that work. FWIW drop bars trade comfort for speed; if you are not racing in particular they really aren't the best type of bar to use, especially if you are riding long distances. I know this is likely controversial; the maker of the Jones bars (not surprisingly) insists that if you are not racing you've got no business using dropped bars. I'm not putting it so tersely...
Jones Bars

Tiny_Valkyrie 07-25-22 03:45 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 22587325)
The three speeds are very similar geometry to several of Raleigh's ten speeds so you should be able to make that work. FWIW drop bars trade comfort for speed; if you are not racing in particular they really aren't the best type of bar to use, especially if you are riding long distances. I know this is likely controversial; the maker of the Jones bars (not surprisingly) insists that if you are not racing you've got no business using dropped bars. I'm not putting it so tersely...
Jones Bars

That's a valid point. I've got a Raleigh 10-speed that I restored and I really like the drop bars. I was trying to think if I should hold on to them for a Raleigh 3-speed that I've found at our local bike co-op or just use one of my alt bars for that, once I get it. My plan is to ride both Raleigh's to side-by-side compare and keep the one I like more.

I have various alt bars (one bike has Jones Bars) on my other bikes, so I'm a huge advocate for them.

browngw 07-25-22 09:30 PM


Originally Posted by Tiny_Valkyrie (Post 22587294)
I have a random question; has any one put a drop bar on their Raleigh Sports 3-speed (step-through)? if so, how was the ride/handling?

My 1971 Robin Hood Sports Model was sold in Canada with drop bars and remains that way still. It is the only 3speed I have that is used for longer rides (I have 2 others). Sometimes it is nice to get out of the wind a bit.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7a64c813ac.jpg
As purchased 8 years ago
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...82d7c1ef22.jpg
As I ride it now. Taller stem and slightly wider bars.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...885b53e2bd.jpg
Out on the road on some Sunday morning.

Tiny_Valkyrie 07-26-22 06:53 AM


Originally Posted by browngw (Post 22587698)
My 1971 Robin Hood Sports Model was sold in Canada with drop bars and remains that way still. It is the only 3speed I have that is used for longer rides (I have 2 others). Sometimes it is nice to get out of the wind a bit.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7a64c813ac.jpg
As purchased 8 years ago
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...82d7c1ef22.jpg
As I ride it now. Taller stem and slightly wider bars.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...885b53e2bd.jpg
Out on the road on some Sunday morning.

That's a beautiful bike! The drops bars suit it well.

thumpism 07-26-22 04:33 PM

Looks like a 23" ladies' Sports for $95 in PA.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...08839636730192

https://scontent.fric1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...Mw&oe=62E5E22F

thumpism 07-26-22 04:39 PM

Oldie for $100 in NY.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...61302999157146

https://scontent.fric1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...QA&oe=62E59F26

1989Pre 07-27-22 01:39 PM

1962 Rudge Sports
 
I posted some indoor pics of this bike, when I first got it, 21 months ago, but they were not very good pics, so I thought I'd add some better, outdoor ones. I got this bike for $75.00 on Craig's List, It was in great condition under all the dirt and debris. As you can see, there was a lot of spit and polish waiting to be un-earthed. The cog on the Sturmey rear hub had fallen off (lock ring had somehow gotten loose), so I learnt how to put it back on and did so.
The original, Brooks B72 saddle was just fine...until I tried to attach a saddle bag to it and a chunk about the size of a quarter fell off, complete with the bag loop. It now has a new Brooks Flyer S from Chain Reaction ($119.00 free shipping). I replaced the steel Wald kick-stand with a nice, aluminum Greenfield and put a period Adie ratchet bell (that I had) on it.
I had to fiddle with the shift cable adjuster as it enters the hub, and found I had to move the top-tube cable housing clamp forward a bit, but it shifts well now, even though it seems a tad tight when I shift into lowest gear. I unscrewed the front lamp cowl, to try to clean the lens (would not clean), but when I unscrewed the small screw, the cowl fell to the floor and destroyed the vintage bulb. Let me tell you, I was not pleased about that. I have since replaced both the bulb and the lens (N.O.S.), and the Dyno-hub works just fine. I leave it engaged all the time while riding.
I re-greased the Dyno-hub and the bearings on the Sturmey, and re-packed the bottom bracket, head-set and pedals. It appears that everything was original (except maybe the Regency tires), but I would like to replace the brake cables/housings at some point. I'd need the right length. The rear reflector had seen its better day, as it looked decayed on the side, so I replaced with N.O.S.
I will admit that for the head-set to be tight enough for there to be no play and loose enough to work freely, the headset binds a bit when the forks are turned to an extreme (50-60 degree) angle. I haven't found a way around that. I am pretty sure I used new bearings when I did the headset, but I'm only 80% sure.
I like the "hub-polisher" on the rear hub and the "flash treatment" of white on the front of the bike. Rudge was ahead of everybody, I think, with sloping fork crown in 1962. I bought the Carradice Pendle bag thinking it would be basically ornamental. Not a chance. I use it all the time for shopping and bringing food and water to the birds out in the back yard on my way out. I am actually using this bike for a (slow) club ride tomorrow, because one of my friends blew his knee out a couple weeks ago.
I've wanted a British 3-speed for a long time. I was 62 when I finally got one. The bike is wonderful. I get compliments on it, in public. It did fall over, once, from the spring wind, and some of the "R" is now missing on the n.d.s. I need to match a blanched, burnished gold to it.
If anyone needs a double-rail seat-post clamp, I'll send it to you.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1b0503d12b.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7a971776cf.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bed720219f.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ea503af05c.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eb4421d5cc.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...462f3b29d0.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a0b4feefed.jpg

Unca_Sam 07-29-22 07:26 AM


Originally Posted by 1989Pre (Post 22589540)
I posted some indoor pics of this bike, when I first got it, 21 months ago, but they were not very good pics, so I thought I'd add some better, outdoor ones. I got this bike for $75.00 on Craig's List, It was in great condition under all the dirt and debris. As you can see, there was a lot of spit and polish waiting to be un-earthed. The cog on the Sturmey rear hub had fallen off (lock ring had somehow gotten loose), so I learnt how to put it back on and did so.
The original, Brooks B72 saddle was just fine...until I tried to attach a saddle bag to it and a chunk about the size of a quarter fell off, complete with the bag loop. It now has a new Brooks Flyer S from Chain Reaction ($119.00 free shipping). I replaced the steel Wald kick-stand with a nice, aluminum Greenfield and put a period Adie ratchet bell (that I had) on it.
I had to fiddle with the shift cable adjuster as it enters the hub, and found I had to move the top-tube cable housing clamp forward a bit, but it shifts well now, even though it seems a tad tight when I shift into lowest gear. I unscrewed the front lamp cowl, to try to clean the lens (would not clean), but when I unscrewed the small screw, the cowl fell to the floor and destroyed the vintage bulb. Let me tell you, I was not pleased about that. I have since replaced both the bulb and the lens (N.O.S.), and the Dyno-hub works just fine. I leave it engaged all the time while riding.
I re-greased the Dyno-hub and the bearings on the Sturmey, and re-packed the bottom bracket, head-set and pedals. It appears that everything was original (except maybe the Regency tires), but I would like to replace the brake cables/housings at some point. I'd need the right length. The rear reflector had seen its better day, as it looked decayed on the side, so I replaced with N.O.S.
I will admit that for the head-set to be tight enough for there to be no play and loose enough to work freely, the headset binds a bit when the forks are turned to an extreme (50-60 degree) angle. I haven't found a way around that. I am pretty sure I used new bearings when I did the headset, but I'm only 80% sure.
I like the "hub-polisher" on the rear hub and the "flash treatment" of white on the front of the bike. Rudge was ahead of everybody, I think, with sloping fork crown in 1962. I bought the Carradice Pendle bag thinking it would be basically ornamental. Not a chance. I use it all the time for shopping and bringing food and water to the birds out in the back yard on my way out. I am actually using this bike for a (slow) club ride tomorrow, because one of my friends blew his knee out a couple weeks ago.
I've wanted a British 3-speed for a long time. I was 62 when I finally got one. The bike is wonderful. I get compliments on it, in public. It did fall over, once, from the spring wind, and some of the "R" is now missing on the n.d.s. I need to match a blanched, burnished gold to it.
If anyone needs a double-rail seat-post clamp, I'll send it to you.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1b0503d12b.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7a971776cf.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bed720219f.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ea503af05c.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eb4421d5cc.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...462f3b29d0.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a0b4feefed.jpg

Excellent aesthetic presentation. You're presenting a mood as much as showcasing your Rudge.

gna 07-30-22 10:58 PM

Fixed up this Raleigh Twenty. My wife and daughter want to use it.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...37c7b37f0e.jpg

Laced up some aluminum rims I found at the recycler. I also replaced the seat tube with an aluminum one. Those two items lightened the bike quite a bit.
Repacked all of the bearings. The bottom bracket had what looked like wasps in it.
Replaced the 15T cog with a 17T cog. I bought some KMC chains on sale; they were blue.

thumpism 08-05-22 07:11 AM

This is at the co-op in the donation pile. I'd normally post in the co-op thread but figured it might be better appreciated here. It's a Hercules with a camelback frame and a CB Sturmey hub. Looks to be in good shape. I did not bring it home.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f60d71f27c.jpg

SirMike1983 08-06-22 07:42 PM

1967 Raleigh Sprite is pretty much done. I'm nearing the end of testing everything out and getting everything finalized. It came out pretty nicely, but condition is king when you find these bikes. Starting with something in very good condition is a big help, versus something where everything needs to be re-done.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...805_180706.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...805_183546.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...805_180721.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...805_183607.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...805_180729.jpg

Ballenxj 08-06-22 07:49 PM


Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 22601118)
1967 Raleigh Sprite is pretty much done. I'm nearing the end of testing everything out and getting everything finalized. It came out pretty nicely, but condition is king when you find these bikes. Starting with something in very good condition is a big help, versus something where everything needs to be re-done.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...805_183546.jpg



This one appears to be in pretty good nick. 5 speed eh?

thumpism 08-07-22 07:54 AM

Western Flyer version for $20 in NH.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...80750976873859

https://scontent.fric1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...uQ&oe=62F546A5


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.