Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Sixty Fiver 05-09-12 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by miles.lowry (Post 14201976)
Do you have the key for the fork lock? I would love to get one made for mine (seen in my avatar)

That Sports has no locking fork, this is a feature on the Superbe.

Your local locksmith should be able to do this for you... the keys are also numbered / coded.

If not, we have one here that will make new Raleigh keys.

miles.lowry 05-09-12 03:19 PM

Yea, I talked to a locksmith about it and he looked at me like I was speaking a forign language.

gna 05-09-12 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by photogravity (Post 14201874)
I will be there on a mystery steed. Are you going to be there and, if so, what will you be riding?

My wife and I are planning to be there. Earlier '70s Raleigh Sports:
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=249309

Nerdy Norm 05-10-12 12:22 AM

Yea, I talked to a locksmith about it and he looked at me like I was speaking a forign language.
If you can make out the number stamped on the face of the barrel, you can order a new key online from Old Bike Trader or Ebay.

oldroads 05-10-12 05:20 AM

Love that color. Only made a few years.

JohnDThompson 05-10-12 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by gna (Post 14178815)
By the way, who will be riding The Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour this year?

I'll be there, on my Superbe. After last year's monsoon, I've built new wheels with aluminum rims for this year. No more plummeting down the bluffs with no effective brakes!

JohnDThompson 05-10-12 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by miles.lowry (Post 14201976)
Do you have the key for the fork lock? I would love to get one made for mine (seen in my avatar)

There's a code stamped on the cylinder that should allow a locksmith to make a key for you. I have a couple blanks for the NGN cylinders, but apparently there are suitable generics that work as well:

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/ngn-keys.jpg

miles.lowry 05-10-12 10:25 AM

I'll have to check, somehow it has migrated to the back of the barn.

Sixty Fiver 05-10-12 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 14205003)
I'll be there, on my Superbe. After last year's monsoon, I've built new wheels with aluminum rims for this year. No more plummeting down the bluffs with no effective brakes!

But where is the fun in that ?

:)

photogravity 05-10-12 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 14205003)

Maybe I'll bring a different bicycle with a coaster brake! At a minimum, perhaps some Salmon Kool Stops are in order, eh? :)

mizizzle 05-13-12 05:44 PM

Hi, I really enjoyed reading this thread last summer and finally decided to chime in since I am just now trying to fix up a ladies Raleigh Sports '73 I found on Craigslist a few months ago. I don't have any experience working on bikes, but would love to get her in better working condition. Please pardon my newbie questions.

I've sprayed WD40 on the cable ends and added WD40 and ATF to the rear hub, but not so much that the fluid was pouring out of the ends. I drained it, but then wondered if i was supposed to leave it in. When I spin the peddle the ticks sound bright to me, so not sure if I need to do more.

The real issue is that I am having some trouble with the SA gear shifter. It seems to click into place when pressing through the gears in a downward motion, but not so when pressing the lever up. I sort of have to press the lever in towards the handlebar to get it to move up if it's in the middle gear. Anything I can do about that?

Thanks!!

jrecoi 05-13-12 05:58 PM

The WD-40 is good for cleaning out the hub, but for the lubrication to stick you ought to add motor oil. ATF is noted for being a good cold weather oil, but bog standard SA oil is SAE 10w-30 or straight SAE 30 oil works for warmer climes and times.

miles.lowry 05-14-12 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by mizizzle (Post 14218328)
Hi, I really enjoyed reading this thread last summer and finally decided to chime in since I am just now trying to fix up a ladies Raleigh Sports '73 I found on Craigslist a few months ago. I don't have any experience working on bikes, but would love to get her in better working condition. Please pardon my newbie questions.

I've sprayed WD40 on the cable ends and added WD40 and ATF to the rear hub, but not so much that the fluid was pouring out of the ends. I drained it, but then wondered if i was supposed to leave it in. When I spin the peddle the ticks sound bright to me, so not sure if I need to do more.

The real issue is that I am having some trouble with the SA gear shifter. It seems to click into place when pressing through the gears in a downward motion, but not so when pressing the lever up. I sort of have to press the lever in towards the handlebar to get it to move up if it's in the middle gear. Anything I can do about that?

Thanks!!

The Venerable Sheldon Brown has articles about almost all aspects of owning and maintaining English 3 speeds, including: Servicing Sturmey-Archer 3-Speed Hubs

biglee67 05-14-12 10:34 AM

Measuring for replacement Sturmey Archer shifter cable?

I originally just posted this in C&V, but finally found "English 3-spds" thread again!

I have two bikes that I need to replace the shifter cable for the Sturmey Archer 3-spds. One is a '71 Ladies Raleigh Sports, and the other is a 1955 Ladies Schwinn lightweight (probably a Varsity). How do I measure the length of the old cable to know which one to order? I found a site that carries several, NOS cables in different lengths: 50", 50.5", 53", 53.5", 54", 54.5"! Do I include the cable anchorage (the knurled, threaded sleeve that attaches to the indicator chain)? Or do I slip that up along the cable itself and only measure the cable with the crimped ends?

Or, on the Ladies Raleigh, does anyone just know what the length is supposed to be for the replacement cable?

Any feedback would be appreciated, Thx, Sherrill

Sixty Fiver 05-14-12 10:40 AM

The factory cable is pre built and the cable length cannot be adjusted so you will need to measure the existing cable from end to end and and match that up.

New SA replacement cables are universal with a non fixed length and barrel adjuster and I prefer these as they fit everything.

gna 05-14-12 08:19 PM

Forgive the cross post.

My daughter and her new (to her) Raleigh Space Rider:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-b...0/DSCN1412.JPG

Still a bit big for her. Next summer I wager she'll be riding around the neighborhood.

gna 05-14-12 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by biglee67 (Post 14220995)
I originally just posted this in C&V, but finally found "English 3-spds" thread again!

I have two bikes that I need to replace the shifter cable for the Sturmey Archer 3-spds. One is a '71 Ladies Raleigh Sports, and the other is a 1955 Ladies Schwinn lightweight (probably a Varsity). How do I measure the length of the old cable to know which one to order? I found a site that carries several, NOS cables in different lengths: 50", 50.5", 53", 53.5", 54", 54.5"! Do I include the cable anchorage (the knurled, threaded sleeve that attaches to the indicator chain)? Or do I slip that up along the cable itself and only measure the cable with the crimped ends?

Or, on the Ladies Raleigh, does anyone just know what the length is supposed to be for the replacement cable?

Any feedback would be appreciated, Thx, Sherrill

Do they have part numbers listed? What Ladies Raleigh do you have?

djkashuba 05-14-12 08:49 PM

Good Stuff, as usual-

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/...ycle-club.html

-D

KonAaron Snake 05-16-12 07:20 PM

This looks like a decent deal to me...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/3020017279.html

philadelphia craigslist > for sale / wanted > bicycles - by owner
please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist
Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1959 Rudge Vintage Bicycle - 3-speed - Men's frame - $165 (Center City)
Date: 2012-05-16, 8:06PM EDT
Reply to: rxtpf-3020017279@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
"Britain's Best Bicycle"

1959 Rudge Sports Bicycle - Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub. 26x1-3/8 tires. Frame has mounts for air pump. Black. 31" standover height. Good shape for a 53 y/o bike! New brake cables and shifter cable.

These lugged steel frame bikes will outlast you. Read about them on Sheldon Brown's website, then come check it out and ride it home.

31" standover height.

I'm in center city near Chinatown.

image 0
image 0

image 1

image 2

photogravity 05-16-12 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by mizizzle (Post 14218328)

Thanks!!

The way you describe the shifter working is how they work in many cases. This is partially dependent on the shifter though, at least generally speaking, the ones that have the plastic faces need to be pressed inward as you shift up through the gears. Downshifting doesn't need the little inward push.

yellowbarber 05-17-12 08:41 PM

hmmm, could be a good bang around town taxicab racer
looks like it's missing a few things, i.e.: it's Rudge chain-ring and the rear mudguard
and has schwinn(?) bow pedals

but it still has that cool 50's Rudge fork

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake (Post 14233514)

"Britain's Best Bicycle"

1959 Rudge Sports Bicycle - Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub. 26x1-3/8 tires. Frame has mounts for air pump. Black. 31" standover height. Good shape for a 53 y/o bike! New brake cables and shifter cable.

These lugged steel frame bikes will outlast you. Read about them on Sheldon Brown's website, then come check it out and ride it home.

31" standover height.

I'm in center city near Chinatown.

image 2

auchencrow 05-17-12 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake (Post 14233514)

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/3020017279.html

I can't believe that '59 Rudge is still listed. It appears to be in good condition, and it has some cool Rudge appointments. THE RED HAND!

yellowbarber 05-17-12 09:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, gonna show off another rescue here:
Should have taken a pic before I got started tearing it down. It was really filthy, really, really filthy!
As I was scrubbing off the gook, it gave off the smell of an old wet mangy dog. Maybe that's why I ended up in a dumpster.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=250896
I've been on the hunt for a 23" sports for a while, preferably a 1966 (my birth year), needless to say I was thrilled to find 66 & 4 stamped on the hub under a layer of greasy goo.
anyways...I won't clog up the server with a ton of pics. Here's a link to an evolving photo album as I tackle the minutae like stripped spoke nipples and the search for cone-ended front wheel nuts.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=192b2c9fa0

and if you're smart enough to stay off of the Facebutt here's where I'm at with it today. (Those are fiddles tied to the seat with and inner-tube taking the trip over the Manhattan bridge to the Jalopy Theater & School of Music.)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=250898

yellowbarber 05-17-12 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by yellowbarber (Post 14238902)
Okay, gonna show off another rescue here:
...and if you're smart enough to stay off of the Facebutt here's where I'm at with it today. (Those are fiddles tied to the seat with and inner-tube taking the trip over the Manhattan bridge to the Jalopy Theater & School of Music.)

dropped off the violins then I went on a 25 mile ride & I can report that schwalbe delta cruisers are a good choice for your EA3 rims

noglider 05-17-12 10:03 PM

Surprised to see you here, Aaron. That Rudge is nice and looks identical to mine, except that mine isn't missing the rear fender.

I have a spare pair of fenders if anyone needs them. They're green, but you can paint them. ;)

I took a nice ride today with a fellow visiting from Ireland. He admired my Roodge, as he pronounced it. He said the bikes with 28" wheels in Ireland are called Old Nellies. I don't know why. They're common there, so he was surprised they fetch high prices here. He likes them, as they're comfortable.

organbuilder 05-21-12 08:04 PM

When I was in England I bought a 1950 Humber 4 speed with fork lock. No key, so I wrote to Raleigh. They sent me all 50 keys so I could find a match. I found the right one, kept it, and sent the other 49 back. No charge to me." There will always been an England"

gna 05-22-12 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by photogravity (Post 14201874)
I will be there on a mystery steed. Are you going to be there and, if so, what will you be riding?

Was this yours?
http://imageevent.com/abce/20123st?p...=0&w=4&s=0&z=3

miles.lowry 05-22-12 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by organbuilder (Post 14254520)
When I was in England I bought a 1950 Humber 4 speed with fork lock. No key, so I wrote to Raleigh. They sent me all 50 keys so I could find a match. I found the right one, kept it, and sent the other 49 back. No charge to me." There will always been an England"

Do you have the address you wrote to?

photogravity 05-22-12 11:56 AM

Yes, It Was!

Originally Posted by gna (Post 14256817)

Indeed, that is the bike I took on the 3-Speed Tour! Yes, I know it's a 4-speed, but there were 5-speeds on the tour too, so I don't feel too bad about taking it along. Did we, perchance, get an opportunity to meet each other over the weekend? I tried to look at the picture of your bikes, but it's too small for me to figure out which bikes they might have been.

Out of curiosity, how did you know that was the bike?

gna 05-22-12 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by photogravity (Post 14257167)
Indeed, that is the bike I took on the 3-Speed Tour! Yes, I know it's a 4-speed, but there were 5-speeds on the tour too, so I don't feel too bad about taking it along. Did we, perchance, get an opportunity to meet each other over the weekend? I tried to look at the picture of your bikes, but it's too small for me to figure out which bikes they might have been.

Out of curiosity, how did you know that was the bike?

You said "mystery steed," and that was one of the nicest and rarest bikes I saw all weekend. Not sure if we met.

I'll try to find a better picture of my bike.

The weather didn't really cooperate, but I still had a great time.
Too bad the ride wasn't yesterday and today--lovely weather for a bike ride...