Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

rjones28 12-12-21 06:35 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22337956)
Exactly. Odds are that if you eat gumbo, it's something completely different than what they're selling.

Case closed.

Ok, Judge Judy.

big john 12-12-21 07:00 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22337967)
Roux is the only way to go.

My wife uses a family recipe from their days on the bayou. It takes her longer to make than it takes me to smoke a brisket. Much messier too.

She put a lot of time into hers, as well. She would make enough for leftovers for a few days. We even took a pot of gumbo on a camping trip to Tahoe.

DougRNS 12-12-21 07:04 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22337921)
Onondaga Civic Symphony Orchestra has a concert this afternoon at 4 EST. I went. It was not simulcast.

I did not simulcast my nap.

Mojo31 12-12-21 07:13 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22337992)
She put a lot of time into hers, as well. She would make enough for leftovers for a few days. We even took a pot of gumbo on a camping trip to Tahoe.

Itís only worth doing if you make several days worth.

I never do small turkeys or briskets, or small batches of ribs since for the time it takes I want a few days worth.

Velo Vol 12-12-21 07:18 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22337995)
I did not simulcast my nap.

It's better seen in person.

genejockey 12-12-21 07:27 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22337939)
How many do you have in your pantry?

You never said, "Name two things in your pantry", either.

genejockey 12-12-21 07:28 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22337960)
No, it was doubled back on itself.

Easier to get into an elevator with it that way.

genejockey 12-12-21 07:38 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22337937)
I've mentioned before that my ex was a fan of Emeril Lagasse and she made a lot of his recipes, including gumbo. She made the "2 beer roux" where you stir the roux for the length of time that it takes to drink 2 beers (you can splash a little of the beer into the roux).
A friend made the gumbo with a broth instead of a roux. I love them both but the roux is my favorite.

Not being a patient person by nature, I prefer the Paul Prudhomme method for making roux - chop your trinity beforehand, heat the oil to smoking, add the flour and stir with a whisk CONSTANTLY as it browns until you start to fear it will catch fire, and dump in half the trinity to stop it turning darker. I can't get much past dark peanut butter, but add the vege and it turns the color of dark brown sugar.

Trsnrtr 12-12-21 07:55 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22337939)
How many do you have in your pantry?

I don't generally stock that stuff but I do keep the upgrade Campbell's version called Chicken and Sausage Gumbo which is thicker. I usually have a few cans in the pantry but ate the last one yesterday. Time to go shopping.

WhyFi 12-12-21 08:08 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22337906)
Yes, to help isolate a noise you can use a long screwdriver or even a length of hose. You can also run the engine for a short time with the belt off to see if the noise goes away.
As far as whether you can fix it, I don't know, I've never seen you work on cars. What car is it? If you want to replace something you can ask about that.

It's a 2012 VW Sportwagen S 2.5L

I'm not a complete mechanical idiot, I can usually understand the basics well enough to troubleshoot, but it's not like I've worked on my cars a lot. I've had opportunities to install stereos, door windows, fuel injectors, change the oil and that's about it.

I might take an quick look at it again tomorrow, before making an appointment at a shop - I keep forgetting that we've got the road trip closing in fast, so I want to make sure it's taken care of.

big john 12-12-21 08:31 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22338072)
It's a 2012 VW Sportwagen S 2.5L

I'm not a complete mechanical idiot, I can usually understand the basics well enough to troubleshoot, but it's not like I've worked on my cars a lot. I've had opportunities to install stereos, door windows, fuel injectors, change the oil and that's about it.

I might take an quick look at it again tomorrow, before making an appointment at a shop - I keep forgetting that we've got the road trip closing in fast, so I want to make sure it's taken care of.

I figured you could handle a little wrenching. Pop that belt off and spin those pulleys. Or not. Good luck!

LAJ 12-12-21 08:48 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22338091)
I figured you could handle a little wrenching. Pop that belt off and spin those pulleys. Or not. Good luck!

Some of those VW's need to be put into service mode just to change a belt. That one looks tight.

Edit. Transverse. Should be OK.

LAJ 12-12-21 09:00 PM

Broncos offense takes a delay of game with only 10 players on the field to start the game in honor of Demaryius Thomas.

Video scoreboard puts up 88.

Detroit declines the penalty.

Velo Vol 12-12-21 09:27 PM

Final from Hamilton!


badger1 12-12-21 09:40 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22338137)

Good evening, Velo Vol.

I am not a 'football'* fan, but I was rather hoping Hamilton would prevail in this one, simply because the city is just an hour or so down the way from me (401 East to 403 > Hamilton).

Trivial fun fact: were you aware the Canadian 'Football' League is contemplating a change to four downs, from the Canadian traditional three downs? The stated rationale appears to be that doing so would increase fan appeal.

Second trivial fun fact: my home town/university Mustangs won the Vanier Cup a week ago ... Canadian university 'football' championship. As I understand it, this is the eighth time the Mustangs have won this venerable trophy.

*Why is this game called 'football'? To me, 'football' is soccer. Kick-offs, punts, and fgs aside, the ball is never kicked in North American 'football'. Very odd.

big john 12-12-21 09:53 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22338100)
Some of those VW's need to be put into service mode just to change a belt. That one looks tight.

Edit. Transverse. Should be OK.

I know nothing of VWs of late. I'd probably screw something up if I tried to work on one.

Velo Vol 12-12-21 10:00 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22338072)
I'm not a complete mechanical idiot, I can usually understand the basics well enough to troubleshoot, but it's not like I've worked on my cars a lot. I've had opportunities to install stereos, door windows, fuel injectors, change the oil and that's about it.

Well, if you've worked on a stereo this should be pretty straightforward.

Velo Vol 12-12-21 10:03 PM


Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 22338153)
Good evening, Velo Vol.

I am not a 'football'* fan, but I was rather hoping Hamilton would prevail in this one, simply because the city is just an hour or so down the way from me (401 East to 403 > Hamilton).

Trivial fun fact: were you aware the Canadian 'Football' League is contemplating a change to four downs, from the Canadian traditional three downs? The stated rationale appears to be that doing so would increase fan appeal.

Second trivial fun fact: my home town/university Mustangs won the Vanier Cup a week ago ... Canadian university 'football' championship. As I understand it, this is the eighth time the Mustangs have won this venerable trophy.

*Why is this game called 'football'? To me, 'football' is soccer. Kick-offs, punts, and fgs aside, the ball is never kicked in North American 'football'. Very odd.

wut

It's football because we call it football.

Three downs is Canadian football.

Maybe KSU Owls should transfer to Canadian conference and compete for the Vanier Cup? They might have better luck competing against teams north of that border than they do north of their state broder.

badger1 12-12-21 10:18 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22338173)
wut

It's football because we call it football.

Three downs is Canadian football.

Maybe KSU Owls should transfer to Canadian conference and compete for the Vanier Cup? They might have better luck competing against teams north of that border than they do north of their state broder.

That seems a compelling reason!

Velo Vol 12-12-21 11:33 PM


Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 22338181)
That seems a compelling reason!

I briefly looked it up (as much as I could be bothered to do) and it seems football/soccer got organized in roughly the same era. So who's to say that soccer wasn't the one who stole the name?

ls01 12-13-21 04:39 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22337307)
Bite, jump on me, get me smelly.

I'll bet you say that to all the wimenz.

ls01 12-13-21 05:06 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22337443)

20 Oz steak and a baked potato

indyfabz 12-13-21 05:52 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22337443)

General Tsoís Chicken and a fork.

datlas 12-13-21 06:55 AM

Did we ever get the Velo Vol approved answer to what goes with the rice?!?

phrantic09 12-13-21 07:43 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22337466)
I must be getting old. I ran out of whey protein last week and havnt been able to get a replacement yet. I swear I could feel a difference in recovery. Maybe itís all in my head, but my legs were very vocal today and I didnít do anything crazy this week.

Is it whey as part of a recovery drink or just in general? I only use whey right after lifting or a long ride and supplement with casein otherwise.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.