Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

phrantic09 02-23-22 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22418851)
Did an hour long (fake) ride with B. Brevet today, on the Chain Chomper course in the Makuri Islands. Since a chunk of that course is on gravel, I picked up the (fake) Cervelo Aspero for the ride. It was certainly easier on the uphill gravel section, but it was most definitely harder on the pavement; I was above 300w a *lot* more than as is usual with Brevet. Granted, a part of that may have been the small group, prolly no more than 10-15 at any given time, which makes it easier to get detached, but still, I averaged 20w or so more than I usually would with that group.

Maybe I'll do that group/course again tomorrow on a road bike. Of the ~24min loop, only ~6min of that is the gravel climb, and I'm guessing that, on the whole, the road bike will be easier for me.

I was too tired to hang with Cadence today- have some non-Covid related illness going on this this house. Iím going to give it another shot later.

Mojo31 02-23-22 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22418874)
Ours all say top/bottom on the top or bottom :foo:

Do you have day-of-the-week undies as well?

LAJ 02-23-22 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22418853)
I love white sheets, but I'm finally done with trying to put the fitted sheet on sideways.

This ends now!

(well, in the not so distant future anyways)

The tag is always at the foot of the bed, right side as you're standing at the foot of the bed.

rjones28 02-23-22 12:12 PM

Who knew that bedding was so complicated?

WhyFi 02-23-22 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22418878)
I was too tired to hang with Cadence today- have some non-Covid related illness going on this this house. Iím going to give it another shot later.

Some of the chatter in the group rides is that Cadence has been turnt-up recently, though she still shows at 2.5w/kg or whatever. Maybe her weight has gone up a hair, and her power with it? I can't say that I've noticed much of a difference in effort, but hanging with the group has resulted in PRs for me on the flat Watopia routes, so maybe there's something to that chatter.

WhyFi 02-23-22 12:17 PM

Apropos of nothing, I've recently become enamored with the idea of getting a new, brushless drill and impact driver kit. Tools, man, they're just... addicting. :twitchy:

Mojo31 02-23-22 12:18 PM

I'd use caution talking about her weight. They don't like that.

indyfabz 02-23-22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22418884)
The tag is always at the foot of the bed, right side as you're standing at the foot of the bed.

You learn something new every day some days.

LesterOfPuppets 02-23-22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22418884)

I don't even want to mess about looking for tags or other small-scale orientation indicators.
I guess they don't all have to be striped-
I totally would've grabbed this set if they'd printed all the boats right-side-up

https://slimages.macysassets.com/is/...xlrg$&fmt=webp

Mojo31 02-23-22 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22418902)
Apropos of nothing, I've recently become enamored with the idea of getting a new, brushless drill and impact driver kit. Tools, man, they're just... addicting. :twitchy:

the brushless motors are the shizz. I have a leaf blower with a brushless motor, and it is stronger and more quiet than our other ones. I'm due for a new drill as well.

LesterOfPuppets 02-23-22 12:22 PM

Hmm, did they put a range marker on there? Interesting design element. Makes me miss sailing the might Columbia River.

WhyFi 02-23-22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22418906)
I don't even want to mess about looking for tags or other small-scale orientation indicators.
I guess they don't all have to be striped-
I totally would've grabbed this set if they'd printed all the boats right-side-up

https://slimages.macysassets.com/is/...xlrg$&fmt=webp

The looks like a sheet set that my boy would have. Hell, he might actually have 'em.

indyfabz 02-23-22 12:39 PM

Holy afro, Bat-Man. Likely 7th or 8th grade.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1df775f14.jpeg

WhyFi 02-23-22 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418910)
the brushless motors are the shizz. I have a leaf blower with a brushless motor, and it is stronger and more quiet than our other ones. I'm due for a new drill as well.

Part of my dilemma is that increased power. Do I go with nicely compact stuff, likely 12v, that's still more powerful than what I've ever had in the past? Or do I spend more money on an 18v/20v line with even more grunt (possibly more than I'd need), at the expense of size/weight and money, but prolly still smaller and lighter than anything that I've had in the past? Decisions, decisions.

LesterOfPuppets 02-23-22 12:45 PM

Weight weenieing the commuter bike continues apace. A lighter front wheel and a lighter fork have brought it down to 24.5 lbs as pictured. Could replacing the wire bead rear tyre and the seatpost get it below 24.0?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...efe340c926.jpg

Mojo31 02-23-22 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22418942)
Weight weenieing the commuter bike continues apace. A lighter front wheel and a lighter fork have brought it down to 24.5 lbs as pictured. Could replacing the wire bead rear tyre and the seatpost get it below 24.0?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...efe340c926.jpg

Crabon rack.

Velo Vol 02-23-22 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22418942)

Nice sword.

Mojo31 02-23-22 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22418938)
Part of my dilemma is that increased power. Do I go with nicely compact stuff, likely 12v, that's still more powerful than what I've ever had in the past? Or do I spend more money on an 18v/20v line with even more grunt (possibly more than I'd need), at the expense of size/weight and money, but prolly still smaller and lighter than anything that I've had in the past? Decisions, decisions.

Do it once and do it right.

That means 18v/20v.

Let me know what you decide. I might rely on your research. This one's been on my radar: DEWALT 20-Volt MAX XR Cordless Brushless 1/2 in. Drill/Driver with (1) 20-Volt 5.0Ah Battery, Charger & Bag DCD791P1 - The Home Depot

The only thing stopping me from making the purchase is that I haven't needed a drill lately.

ls01 02-23-22 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22418228)
My friend from SanFran is suggesting that instead of climbing Baldy which will be cold on Thursday, we should drive to Santa Barbara and climb Gibraltar instead.

Thoughts??

If it has Santa Barbra on the question the answer is yes! Beautiful there. Wave to umd when you are there.

indyfabz 02-23-22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418950)
Crabon rack.

And crabon post and saddle.

And helium in the tires.

phrantic09 02-23-22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22418895)
Some of the chatter in the group rides is that Cadence has been turnt-up recently, though she still shows at 2.5w/kg or whatever. Maybe her weight has gone up a hair, and her power with it? I can't say that I've noticed much of a difference in effort, but hanging with the group has resulted in PRs for me on the flat Watopia routes, so maybe there's something to that chatter.

I thought she was faster, glad itís not just me.

phrantic09 02-23-22 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418956)

That means 18v/20v.

Let me know what you decide. I might rely on your research. This one's been on my radar: DEWALT 20-Volt MAX XR Cordless Brushless 1/2 in. Drill/Driver with (1) 20-Volt 5.0Ah Battery, Charger & Bag DCD791P1 - The Home Depot

The only thing stopping me from making the purchase is that I haven't needed a drill lately.

I have this- itís lovely

Eric F 02-23-22 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22418902)

I'm with you. I just got a compact router (not cordless, to be installed in a table). I'm currently lusting after a few cordless things - jigsaw, circular saw, and brad nailer.

A couple of things I learned from my construction superintendent (who is also a hobbyist woodworker)...1) Stick with the same brand and battery type for all your cordless tools. It makes it way easier to always have battery charged and ready, and cuts down on the number of chargers you need to make space for. 2) Buy tools that include a battery (and maybe a charger), rather than the tool only. Buying batteries and chargers separately is significantly more expensive.

Eric F 02-23-22 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418956)

That means 18v/20v.

Dewalt tools are very good. It's what our construction crews use exclusively. Before I knew better, I bought a Ridgid 18V drill/impact driver set, and am adding to my stable with other Ridgid tools. They've all been solid, but if I did it over again, I'd probably go with Dewalt.

LesterOfPuppets 02-23-22 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418950)
Crabon rack.

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22418967)
And crabon post and saddle.

And helium in the tires.

Maybe after I drillium the singlespeed freehub spacers.