Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

phrantic09 01-09-22 08:00 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22366975)
There's a quarter inch of ice on everything this morning. Benson and I had a morning skate. Rock salt has been deployed.

Its doing the same here with 15 mph winds, trainer it is!!

seedsbelize2 01-09-22 08:02 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22366847)

Bah in the house! How's the hip?

rjones28 01-09-22 08:04 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22366915)
Now that I have merino wool base layers I find thermal jerseys not necessary. Today for instance, 34 when I started. Opted for 250 gram merino wool base layer and my castelli jacket and I still got to warm during the ride.

I have been wearing a short sleeve jersey over the base layer just for extra pockets. I usually bring lots of stuff.


I tried to mount my emergency mini pump onto my madone the other day (help free up pocket space) but the screws for the bottle cages were not long enough to hold the cage and the mount.

Also even if I did get the mount on it would have looked a little ridiculous becuase of the shape of the seat stay.


And thirdly, the internet cannot handle footage of my ass.

Try a 150 gram base layer at those temps.

seedsbelize2 01-09-22 08:06 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22366915)
Now that I have merino wool base layers I find thermal jerseys not necessary. Today for instance, 34 when I started. Opted for 250 gram merino wool base layer and my castelli jacket and I still got to warm during the ride.

I have been wearing a short sleeve jersey over the base layer just for extra pockets. I usually bring lots of stuff.


I tried to mount my emergency mini pump onto my madone the other day (help free up pocket space) but the screws for the bottle cages were not long enough to hold the cage and the mount.

Also even if I did get the mount on it would have looked a little ridiculous becuase of the shape of the seat stay.


And thirdly, the internet cannot handle footage of my ass.

I live in the land of the guayabera, a sport shirt with pockets. I wear one every time I go to the city, or get on an airplane or bus.

seedsbelize2 01-09-22 08:07 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22366954)
Very nice shot, well exposed.

Reported

bampilot06 01-09-22 08:09 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22366984)
Try a 150 gram base layer at those temps.


So I bought at eddie baur. The merino wool only came in 250. I bought some lighter ones but they are polyester. Works well. Now with the new jackets I have to figure out what works in different temperatures.

seedsbelize2 01-09-22 08:09 AM

lplo

rjones28 01-09-22 08:10 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22366975)
There's a quarter inch of ice on everything this morning. Benson and I had a morning skate. Rock salt has been deployed.

The SportWagen is safely tucked away in the garage.

seedsbelize2 01-09-22 08:17 AM


MoAlpha 01-09-22 09:32 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22366984)
Try a 150 gram base layer at those temps.

Especially with a high-quality synthetic base layer under it. I tried that for the first time this season and I think the additional moisture dispersion and insulation extend the temp range quite a lot.

MoAlpha 01-09-22 09:36 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22366987)
I live in the land of the guayabera, a sport shirt with pockets. I wear one every time I go to the city, or get on an airplane or bus.

Ha! Are they a thing now? My father, who spent a couple of years in Mexico before immigrating to the US loved them. He had a "Cubavera" too, a sort of guayabera jacket in dark blue linen. When I was growing up in NYC, they were worn only by old Puerto Rican guys.

datlas 01-09-22 10:22 AM

Did a fake recovery ride with some club-mates. For me, an easy Z2 is around 2 w/kg. My friends are not that mellow, so I was off the back most of the ride. Still, fake miles are better than none.

Bah Humbug 01-09-22 10:25 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22366921)
Speaking of painful, how is your recovery going??


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22366982)
Bah in the house! How's the hip?

Well, here's the money shot. The adductor is still weak but I still haven't gotten to PT; need to do that. Can ride the trainer for an hour-ish and Garmin reports calculated FTP of 95% previous. Walking still has a limp, though minor, unless I get tired or don't pay attention. Most life tasks are doable; no trouble or pain showering or getting in bed or the like, but anything like stepping in a patch of slick mud can still cause a sudden movement and sharp pain. Still can't run though, which is soul-crushing. A local 18k race was moved to COTA due to Covid, so AG did the three-lap version and I did the single, walking. Was not DFL. Nice to throw on a timing chip for the first time in over two years, pathetic as it felt to record a 15:30 pace. Oh and it was in the 20s with a roaring wind.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e7a3c1123f.png

In Maui now on a possibly ill-advised annual trip with the in-laws after the 2021 edition was cancelled, but we are being careful, and we didn't really want to pass it up. Boosted about a month prior (just before the rush), full-fat N95 masks all the way and everywhere, and drove to DFW to take a single-hop flight on a 787-9 podded first class (hell yeah, sittin' next to Vanna White (not really)) to have much more distance to the other plague rats. And to the above, I can actually keep up with the family.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0f204ed52b.jpg

What actually happened, as a full post-mortem, was that I changed the tires on the R2 immediately before driving up to Boulder to help my mother move from the in-law apartment at her house to the main house, since her tenants moved out after 15 years and her hip is bothering her now, so no more stairs. However, I got back tired from driving all day, and Monday morning was misty and damp everywhere. The Veloway had been repaved in the summer and was glassy-smooth. Two laps before finishing the wet surface plus mold-release on the tires got the better of me and the bike shot out. Many times I've done the exact same thing, but with less-slick tires, and this time it got me.

There is a multiverse branch where it was worse, though, because the exact same conditions occurred when AG and I drove back after Thanksgiving, only then the hospitals were slammed and I'd have had much less time to recover before this trip. This happened at the best of times, such as it is. The hospital was still shamefully bad; over three days they didn't even touch my road rash, as just the most blatant failure. But I can walk, which I am grateful for.

abshipp 01-09-22 10:33 AM

45 degrees and threatening to rain.

I want to go ride but can't find the motivation.

Doesn't help that this kind of temperature is where I have a big hole in my kit. I'm good for below 30 or above 55, but this temperature I'm either freezing or roasting.

#toosoftforthissport

genejockey 01-09-22 10:43 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22367110)
45 degrees and threatening to rain.

I want to go ride but can't find the motivation.

Doesn't help that this kind of temperature is where I have a big hole in my kit. I'm good for below 30 or above 55, but this temperature I'm either freezing or roasting.

#toosoftforthissport

That's the entirety of my outdoor riding these days - between 40 and 55. Yesterday on the C&V ride, the other guys were wearing shorts with no warmers, one was wearing a T-shirt and hoodie, and the other a long sleeve jersey with maybe a base layer. Me? Thin base layer, long sleeve jersey, jacket up top. Bibs and knee warmers below. Wool socks and toe booties. I never felt too warm or too cold, but I did end up with the jersey pretty well sweated up.

BillyD 01-09-22 10:59 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22367101)
Well, here's the money shot. The adductor is still weak but I still haven't gotten to PT; need to do that.

Dang, looks like an Erector Set in your leg. Get well soon!

datlas 01-09-22 11:01 AM

Hey Bah Humbug at some point soon you probably will want to get checked for any leg length discrepancies. It sometimes happens and you would need a shim in the SHOE of the injured/shorter leg to compensate.

Bah Humbug 01-09-22 11:05 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22367143)
Hey Bah Humbug at some point soon you probably will want to get checked for any leg length discrepancies. It sometimes happens and you would need a shim in the SHOE of the injured/shorter leg to compensate.

Thanks; I was afraid of that. By looks it looked like the fix had everything straight, and it feels straight (balanced) when standing. The issue comes because I can't balance normally on my left leg due to that weak adductor, so I need to tilt over it in order to not collapse to the right. It also means I used the cane on my good side, which they say is not the way but allowed me to support that weak adductor instead of leaning WAY over to the left. Will, however, be having it checked out when I get to PT.

Mojo31 01-09-22 11:14 AM

Man, that sucks big, Humbug. Hope you get it sorted, and it doesn’t hold you back.

big john 01-09-22 11:27 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22367120)
That's the entirety of my outdoor riding these days - between 40 and 55. Yesterday on the C&V ride, the other guys were wearing shorts with no warmers, one was wearing a T-shirt and hoodie, and the other a long sleeve jersey with maybe a base layer. Me? Thin base layer, long sleeve jersey, jacket up top. Bibs and knee warmers below. Wool socks and toe booties. I never felt too warm or too cold, but I did end up with the jersey pretty well sweated up.

I think it got to 60 at some point yesterday. To me the issue is climbing. I sweat so much climbing that I am soaked no matter what temperature or what I'm wearing. So if there is a long descent I can get cold from being so wet. It sucks to take the vest off and put it back on when with other riders so I tend to leave it off once I remove it the first time.

When it's in the 40s I can usually leave it on the whole ride. I don't even have a cycling specific jacket but I have some windbreakers I take for a fourth layer sometimes.

big john 01-09-22 11:31 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22367148)
Thanks; I was afraid of that. By looks it looked like the fix had everything straight, and it feels straight (balanced) when standing. The issue comes because I can't balance normally on my left leg due to that weak adductor, so I need to tilt over it in order to not collapse to the right. It also means I used the cane on my good side, which they say is not the way but allowed me to support that weak adductor instead of leaning WAY over to the left. Will, however, be having it checked out when I get to PT.

I know there are a ton of variables but it looks almost exactly like what my friend had 2 years ago. He got back to long rides the same year even when he had trouble getting on the bike. Now, his walking seems normal and you'd never know it happened from seeing him walk or ride the bike. He's 57 now.

Velo Vol 01-09-22 11:34 AM

Oy. So much for my reign as being the only person here to have used a cane in recent times.

Bah Humbug 01-09-22 11:38 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22367175)
Oy. So much for my reign as being the only person here to have used a cane in recent times.

I can one-up that, sadly.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...90864fdd0a.jpg

ls01 01-09-22 11:40 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22366686)

lol. Got me

DougRNS 01-09-22 11:41 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22366975)
There's a quarter inch of ice on everything this morning. Benson and I had a morning skate. Rock salt has been deployed.

the awesome shovel remains securely stored in an undisclosed location in the Northwest Metro Atlanta area.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.