Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

BillyD 07-26-22 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22587584)
Acceptable pets are cats, dogs, and harmless fish or rodents.

:lol:

I always wanted an African Grey parrot. Beautiful bird and very smart. Or a hunting falcon. But birds are too life consuming, their life is your life. Screw that.

Some of you may remember, I once owned a 13 foot Burmese python, the kind that has taken over the Florida waterways. They are very docile and easily domesticated, so to speak, compared with most other constrictors. You have to do your research before selecting a pet. How many people get the wrong dog for their lifestyle and wind up abandoning it?

Mojo31 07-26-22 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22587620)
I wouldn't have not dated a girl with a goldfish or a hamster. I would not have dated a girl with a snake.

Daughter had a hedgehog while in college. Damn that thing stunk.

indyfabz 07-26-22 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22587864)
Construction machine pic of the day. I think it mills down tarmac in advance of paving, can anyone confirm??

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7a11c4b35.jpeg

Correct. It is a cold miller (not the beer).

bampilot06 07-26-22 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22587891)
Daughter had a hedgehog while in college. Damn that thing stunk.

Hedehogs have feelings too. Jerk.

ls01 07-26-22 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22586778)
Liked.

p.s. works ok for me, a fully paid member. :innocent:

He said member....

indyfabz 07-26-22 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22587635)
I'm not sure what their relationship was but they made her seem like a real butt head.

When I was in college a dorm mate/friend graduated and went to vet school down the street. She lived with a couple of other vet students. One of them had a boa that was probably 6' long. Snake's name was Trixie. My friend had a bunch of over for brunch one Sunday and her roomie brought out Trixie. I had her draped over my shoulder. Trixie got nervous as more and more people came to get a closer look. She started to tense up around my shoulders. Thing was strong. I got scared and was basically like "Uh...Get this thing off of me. Now."

But it was an educational experience. I learned from the owner that the common belief that snakes will not eat dead animals is not true. Because she was relatively inactive in captivity, Trixie was fed a Purdue Oven Stuffer Roaster once/month.

Bah Humbug 07-26-22 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22587877)
:lol:

I always wanted an African Grey parrot. Beautiful bird and very smart. Or a hunting falcon. But birds are too life consuming, their life is your life. Screw that.

Some of you may remember, I once owned a 13 foot Burmese python, the kind that has taken over the Florida waterways. They are very docile and easily domesticated, so to speak, compared with most other constrictors. You have to do your research before selecting a pet. How many people get the wrong dog for their lifestyle and wind up abandoning it?

Yep, that's the thing - birds and snakes are life-changers in ways I wouldn't want to deal with.

Mojo31 07-26-22 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22587895)
Hedehogs have feelings too. Jerk.

The thing did stink.

It dies while it was at our house, so my wife and daughter buried it outside our living room window. A couple of days later, something dug it up and made off with it. Wife never could tell daughter about that as the girl was really emotional about the thing even though she was in her 20s.

One funny part of the ownership story was that she could not tell if it was a male or female (non-binary hedgehog?), so she named it "Bruce."

big john 07-26-22 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22587950)

One funny part of the ownership story was that she could not tell if it was a male or female (non-binary hedgehog?), so she named it "Bruce."

Maybe she should have named it Pat.

datlas 07-26-22 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22587950)
The thing did stink.

It dies while it was at our house, so my wife and daughter buried it outside our living room window. A couple of days later, something dug it up and made off with it. Wife never could tell daughter about that as the girl was really emotional about the thing even though she was in her 20s.

Cue up ELO. Don't bring me down....Bruce. (I think it's originally Groos but they now say Bruce)

Mojo31 07-26-22 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22587955)

"Pat" was before her time. At the time the Bruce/Kaitlyn thing was big, and that was her inspiration.

big john 07-26-22 08:00 AM

Wordle 402 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

t2p 07-26-22 08:43 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...67e340bb4.jpeg

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22587894)
Correct. It is a cold miller (not the beer).

around a thousand years ago had a summer job working for a hydraulics and pneumatics distributor that also had a service area

we repaired the hydrostatic transmissions (pumps and motors etc) for all types of equipment - including paving milling machines

did a lot of work on components for the big milling machines known as 'roto mills'

neat job

indyfabz 07-26-22 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22587962)
Cue up ELO. Don't bring me down....Bruce. (I think it's originally Groos but they now say Bruce)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9nkzaOPP6g

I never could figure out what they were saying.

datlas 07-26-22 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22588061)
I never could figure out what they were saying.

Internet says initial word was a "filler word" gruss which means "greetings" in German. That's what's on the record. But so many fans have heard "Bruce" that Jeff Lynne himself has said "**** it, if they want it to be Bruce, that's how I will sing it." So on live versions it's Bruce.

indyfabz 07-26-22 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22588094)
Internet says initial word was a "filler word" gruss which means "health" in German. That's what's on the record. But so many fans have heard "Bruce" that Jeff Lynne himself has said "**** it, if they want it to be Bruce, that's how I will sing it." So on live versions it's Bruce.

"'Scuse me while I kiss this guy."

indyfabz 07-26-22 09:22 AM

It's new water meter day. Water Department says it will arrive between 2 and 5.

Bah Humbug 07-26-22 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22588094)
Internet says initial word was a "filler word" gruss which means "health" in German. That's what's on the record. But so many fans have heard "Bruce" that Jeff Lynne himself has said "**** it, if they want it to be Bruce, that's how I will sing it." So on live versions it's Bruce.

"Health" would be "gesundheit". "Gruss" is "greetings".

genejockey 07-26-22 09:41 AM

Skin of my teeth.
Wordle 402 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 07-26-22 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22588137)
"Health" would be "gesundheit". "Gruss" is "greetings".

Got it and fixed, thanks!

datlas 07-26-22 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22588109)
"'Scuse me while I kiss this guy."

#Mondegreen

Do you know about Lady Mondegreen?

Bah Humbug 07-26-22 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22588141)
Skin of my teeth.
Wordle 402 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mine was essentially the same. Annoying type of word.

Wordle 402 6/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟨🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Bah Humbug 07-26-22 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22588150)
Got it and fixed, thanks!

Oh, I hadn't meant to correct you; I assumed it was a mistake on the part of whoever relayed that story to you! I would have phrased it differently if I had thought the mistake was yours...

indyfabz 07-26-22 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22588151)
#Mondegreen

Do you know about Lady Mondegreen?

Nope, but it sounds sort of familiar.

datlas 07-26-22 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22588225)
Nope, but it sounds sort of familiar.

Worth a 2 minute read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen