Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Mojo31 02-18-22 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22413508)

"Oh ****, mon!"

genejockey 02-18-22 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22413528)
There's a blurry line there. When does "human" become "sloppy"? If a human performer is able to execute their music with perfect timing, does it make that performance less "human"?

I understand your point, and I tend to agree. I HATE auto-tune. That said, beat adjustment has been around for a very long, and likely occurred on some of your favorite music. It's just a lot easier to do in a digital format. Unfortunately, that ease of post-performance manipulation maybe allows some performers to lean on that crutch too much, rather than putting in the effort to improve their initial performance.

I heard a story long ago, about Vladimir Horowitz, the pianist. Apparently his records were very popular in Japan. Of course the recordings were edited together from several performances to make them perfect. When he went to Japan to perform, the audiences were apparently dismayed that he did not play as perfectly as he seemed to on the records.

genejockey 02-18-22 01:22 PM

Driving to work this morning, there was a guy on the street riding one of those one-wheeled board contraptions, going really fast - I was going about 30 and he just kept getting farther away. I thought, that can't be very safe, going 30+ mph on a wheel. When we're on a bike, our bodies stop because we brace against the structure of the bike - bracing our arms against the bars, pushing our weight back etc.

What's he got? He's basically a person standing on a hinge. If the wheel stops, what stops him?

DougRNS 02-18-22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22413671)
Driving to work this morning, there was a guy on the street riding one of those one-wheeled board contraptions, going really fast - I was going about 30 and he just kept getting farther away. I thought, that can't be very safe, going 30+ mph on a wheel. When we're on a bike, our bodies stop because we brace against the structure of the bike - bracing our arms against the bars, pushing our weight back etc.

What's he got? He's basically a person standing on a hinge. If the wheel stops, what stops him?

oncoming traffic.

Mojo31 02-18-22 01:43 PM

Can't avoid the laws of physics.

indyfabz 02-18-22 02:09 PM

lplo

indyfabz 02-18-22 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22413671)

IKR. I saw another one the other day. Dude was flying. Looks like an accident waiting to happen.

genejockey 02-18-22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22413694)

This one was worse, because it was not a one wheel skateboard, but rather a one wheel scooter - NOT one of the ones with a handle. He appeared to be holding controls of some sort in each hand, but the thing itself was just a wheel with platforms on either side to stand on.

bampilot06 02-18-22 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22413377)
There's a guy named Elwyn who has a bunch of YouTube vids of cross-wind takeoffs and landings at Birmingham (UK) airport that can be fun to watch:

Cross Wind Landing and Go Around BHX Birmingham Airport - YouTube

its when the wind stops blowing right when you come over the runway that it’s gets exciting and all goes to **** pretty fast.

Velo Vol 02-18-22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22413694)
Can't avoid the laws of physics.

I'm in harmony with the laws of physics.

genejockey 02-18-22 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22413754)
I'm in harmony with the laws of physics.

Mind you, it's not like we're given a choice.

datlas 02-18-22 03:01 PM

Oh brother. My cycling friends are worried about the high winds and cold temps tomorrow, so they want to do a "gravel ride" instead of a road ride. I will take one for the team and join them using my CX bike, but honestly what's wrong with riding in the cold and wind on the road?!?

Velo Vol 02-18-22 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22413771)
Oh brother. My cycling friends are worried about the high winds and cold temps tomorrow, so they want to do a "gravel ride" instead of a road ride. I will take one for the team and join them using my CX bike, but honestly what's wrong with riding in the cold and wind on the road?!?

Gravel only makes things worse.

datlas 02-18-22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22413772)

Possibly so, but they are my friends so I will go along with the gag.

#PeerPressure

Velo Vol 02-18-22 03:06 PM

rjones28 do you have this much snow at your disposal to create a barrier against law enforcement?

Eric F 02-18-22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22413772)

"If we're going to suffer with the cold and wind, let's REALLY suffer"...or something like that.

BillyD 02-18-22 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22413726)
This one was worse, because it was not a one wheel skateboard, but rather a one wheel scooter - NOT one of the ones with a handle. He appeared to be holding controls of some sort in each hand, but the thing itself was just a wheel with platforms on either side to stand on.

Come come now, leave him alone, let natural selection take its course. We'll all be better off for it.

genejockey 02-18-22 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22413775)
rjones28 do you have this much snow at your disposal to create a barrier against law enforcement?

https://twitter.com/thomasdaigle/sta...24702123737096

Awww, how cute! When I was a kid, I used to build snow forts, too!

big john 02-18-22 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22413771)

Riding off road is affected by the weather much less than road riding, unless you find mud. Speeds are lower, so the wind isn't as troublesome, and there are no cars, at least where I go.
You're a lot more acclimated to severe cold than I am but I think road riding in the rain sucks, especially if there is cold wind. If there is cold, wet, or wind off road is a better option and a lot more fun.

big john 02-18-22 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22413777)
"If we're going to suffer with the cold and wind, let's REALLY suffer"...or something like that.

I've had some really fun rides in weather on mountain bikes and motorcycles in the dirt. We took a track racer up Rocky Peak in the pouring rain and we all had a great time. Lots of snow biking in the mountains when I lived there.

Found a picture with BF member VanceMac on a rainy day in the hills.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9e5a8f5bf5.jpg

Eric F 02-18-22 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22413642)
I heard a story long ago, about Vladimir Horowitz, the pianist. Apparently his records were very popular in Japan. Of course the recordings were edited together from several performances to make them perfect. When he went to Japan to perform, the audiences were apparently dismayed that he did not play as perfectly as he seemed to on the records.

It's pretty much standard operating procedure in the recording industry to comp together multiple takes in order to create a polished final product.

Trsnrtr 02-18-22 04:41 PM

So, I did 31 miles on the trainer today and was bragging to my wife about it. Nonplussed, she said,"Do you always do longer trainer rides with your bibs inside out?" :o

#black_chamois

big john 02-18-22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22413853)
So, I did 31 miles on the trainer today and was bragging to my wife about it. Nonplussed, she said,"Do you always do longer trainer rides with your bibs inside out?" :o

#black_chamois

Senior moment?

genejockey 02-18-22 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22413843)
It's pretty much standard operating procedure in the recording industry to comp together multiple takes in order to create a polished final product.

Probably started as soon as the advent of recording tape, it being a little hard to do if you're cutting the master while the orchestra plays.

Trsnrtr 02-18-22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22413857)
Senior moment?

No, probably from getting dressed in a dark room with "blind in one eye and can't see out of the other" syndrome. In all seriousness, I was wearing Assos bibs with a black chamois. I've had trouble with these before due to the quality of the stitching and finishing. Still, I should of noticed sooner or later. :rolleyes: