Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

WhyFi 06-22-22 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22550304)
Lucinda Brand won the Tour de Suisse after American Kristen Faulkner fell off. Might have been closer had that not happened. Commenters are blaming disk brakes.

Lol - those blaming disks are ridiculous; both riders were on 'em.

Mojo31 06-22-22 08:56 AM

Sure looks like she went into a turn on a wet road too fast and simply slid out. Seems like she did not use her stopping power early enough. Operator error.

big john 06-22-22 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22550329)
Sure looks like she went into a turn on a wet road too fast and simply slid out. Seems like she did not use her stopping power early enough. Operator error.

I can only imagine trying to think clearly after screaming descents in the rain, a long 8% climb, then chasing the last few k into the finish.

WhyFi 06-22-22 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22550348)
I can only imagine trying to think clearly after screaming descents in the rain, a long 8% climb, then chasing the last few k into the finish.

I mean, the finish line is just around the hairpin and she's a bike length behind - of course she's going to push her traction to the edge (or maybe it was just that she was on Pirelli :lol:)

WhyFi 06-22-22 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22550353)
(or maybe it was just that she was on Pirelli :lol:)

They are really, really grippy in the dry, though. :D

abshipp 06-22-22 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22550143)
Had one of those on my tandem last week. Tire had a couple thousand miles left in it. **** happens.

First time itís happened to me, but Iíve almost always ridden tires with much tougher sidewalls.

It had less than 350 miles on it though :cry:

abshipp 06-22-22 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22550186)
Can you recommend a good tubeless tire? As you may recall, I toasted the rear one on my road bike. Might as well replace both. I think it's probably a Schwalbe Pro 1, 25c. (I forgot to look this morning.) Obviously not looking to race. Open to something other than Schwalbe.

I donít run road tubeless so my experience is limited to installing them at the shop and feedback from other people.

Pirelli Cinturado mount easily and are fairly long wearing. Not the fastest but I never hear any complaints. GP5000TL have been redesigned and are not as much of a PITA to mount but still difficult, but they are incredibly popular.

WhyFi Iím sure has better info on actually riding road tubeless regularly.

WhyFi 06-22-22 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22550367)
First time itís happened to me, but Iíve almost always ridden tires with much tougher sidewalls.

It had less than 350 miles on it though :cry:

Were these the Power Roads? Bummer, either way.

I can't recall ever having a sidewall tear, despite running a lot of racing tires and beating the crap out of them. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what. :foo:

WhyFi 06-22-22 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22550186)
Can you recommend a good tubeless tire? As you may recall, I toasted the rear one on my road bike. Might as well replace both. I think it's probably a Schwalbe Pro 1, 25c. (I forgot to look this morning.) Obviously not looking to race. Open to something other than Schwalbe.

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22550377)
I donít run road tubeless so my experience is limited to installing them at the shop and feedback from other people.

Pirelli Cinturado mount easily and are fairly long wearing. Not the fastest but I never hear any complaints. GP5000TL have been redesigned and are not as much of a PITA to mount but still difficult, but they are incredibly popular.

WhyFi Iím sure has better info on actually riding road tubeless regularly.

Yeah, it really depends on what you're looking for. I really only ride race tires and expect 2500-3000 miles out of each rear tire. Any of the newest generation have been great within those parameters (with a good sealant): Pro One Evo Addix, Power Road, P-Zero Race. Haven't tried them yet, but I would expect the GP5kS TR to perform similarly.

Eric F 06-22-22 09:59 AM

Yesterday, I rushed home after work to unbox my new (to me) MTB. As expected, the bike was partially disassembled, but appeared to be pretty well protected for shipping. As I unwrapped everything, and started putting things together, I discovered some issues. The headset is a mess and will need replacement. I cleaned everything out the best I could, and it's usable for now. The front thru-bolt is missing, as is the axle cap on one side of the front wheel. I contacted the seller about the missing parts, and he said he was sure they were in the box, but was apologetic and immediately refunded fair values for those parts. I was really hoping to be able to do a shake-down ride and get the fit dialed in. Oh, well.

Mojo31 06-22-22 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22550401)
Yesterday, I rushed home after work to unbox my new (to me) MTB. As expected, the bike was partially disassembled, but appeared to be pretty well protected for shipping. As I unwrapped everything, and started putting things together, I discovered some issues. The headset is a mess and will need replacement. I cleaned everything out the best I could, and it's usable for now. The front thru-bolt is missing, as is the axle cap on one side of the front wheel. I contacted the seller about the missing parts, and he said he was sure they were in the box, but was apologetic and immediately refunded fair values for those parts. I was really hoping to be able to do a shake-down ride and get the fit dialed in. Oh, well.

LesterOfPuppets 06-22-22 10:16 AM

Uggh slept in and it's getting pretty hot out already. Maybe i should try a night ride.

Hmmm, the little frog says it's 87į, perfect cycling temps. Frogs are not very dependable however.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...476408fb8c.png

seedsbelize2 06-22-22 10:24 AM

We're just back from our daily power outage. There was a rumor that it affected the entire southeast. The power company has apparently decided that we can have power or rain, but not both. We've had rain five days in a row.
Daily power company rant

genejockey 06-22-22 10:32 AM

Grrrr.....
Wordle 368 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

seedsbelize2 06-22-22 10:33 AM

The power came back and then we lost signal. Both are back for the moment.
#lifeinparadise

indyfabz 06-22-22 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22550386)
Yeah, it really depends on what you're looking for. I really only ride race tires and expect 2500-3000 miles out of each rear tire. Any of the newest generation have been great within those parameters (with a good sealant): Pro One Evo Addix, Power Road, P-Zero Race. Haven't tried them yet, but I would expect the GP5kS TR to perform similarly.

I'm too fat for this sport, so nothing race quality is appropriate. More like a "training tire."

And mounting ease is not an issue since I have a shop take care of that.

WhyFi 06-22-22 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22550455)
I'm too fat for this sport, so nothing race quality is appropriate. More like a "training tire."

And mounting ease is not an issue since I have a shop take care of that.

Yeah, can't help you too much with that, unfortunately. There are certainly some slightly tougher, longer wearing tires marketed out there (I have heard good things about the Cinturato, as well), and I've been tempted a time or two, but then I just go back to the racy tires, even though I'm too fat for this sport, too. :o

LesterOfPuppets 06-22-22 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22550164)
They're folding? It's a start.

https://arizonasports.com/wp-content...27-900x506.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 06-22-22 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22550463)
Yeah, can't help you too much with that, unfortunately. There are certainly some slightly tougher, longer wearing tires marketed out there (I have heard good things about the Cinturato, as well), and I've been tempted a time or two, but then I just go back to the racy tires, even though I'm too fat for this sport, too. :o

If it feels good do it.

(I briefly dated a girl with that bumper sticker on her car. She was kinda naughty.)

rjones28 06-22-22 11:12 AM

Wing Wednesday.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...aw&oe=62B92FB4

LesterOfPuppets 06-22-22 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22550504)

Dropping off your resume?

datlas 06-22-22 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22550142)
I put the Reynolds wheels on the Habanero for todayís ride. I notice there is too much resistance on the freewheel when coasting, I put a new 11s freehub body on and am not sure if I over-torqued the end cap or if this just needs to Ďbreak in.Ē I suppose I will see how it is after todayís ride and may need to retrace my recent install steps. Suggestions?

Good ride. The freehub resistance is now nearly normal so must have been a break-in issue.

WhyFi 06-22-22 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22550504)
Wing Wednesday.

Is this in Buffalo?

Velo Vol 06-22-22 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22550426)
Hmmm, the little frog says it's 87į, perfect cycling temps. Frogs are not very dependable however.

wut

Velo Vol 06-22-22 11:43 AM

Today in locomotive history. :bday: Though I wasn't so happy with the pokey CSXer that made me late to band last eve. :notamused:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...424f15ef6d.png