Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

seedsbelize2 07-12-22 12:46 PM

Time for new gloves. I've been wearing Giro Bravos since time immemorial. What do you wear/recommend?

seedsbelize2 07-12-22 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22572202)
I lucked into 2/6 today.

Yesterday, I was totally stumped after 4, and never finished. Do you remember yesterday's word?

Madam.
I lucked out with a 3

Trsnrtr 07-12-22 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22572304)
What size is your road bike, again?? :innocent:

Itís a 48 which translates to a 52 in old money. Sorry, String Bean. :D

Trsnrtr 07-12-22 12:57 PM

Negative test. I have to come up with a new excuse for the next time that I get dropped. :rolleyes:

datlas 07-12-22 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22572324)
Negative test. I have to come up with a new excuse for the next time that I get dropped. :rolleyes:

Could be O.L.D.??

Mojo31 07-12-22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22572324)

Time for a new bike.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cd68e51bc.jpeg

Just check the attitude at the door.

:innocent:

genejockey 07-12-22 01:36 PM

Mode.
Wordle 388 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

BillyD 07-12-22 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22571836)
Mrs datlas postponed yesterday's wordle in progress and never got around to solving it. Streak broken. Sad.

Mrs BD got stumped about a week ago and is now pleased to report she no longer feels any pressure to play every day.

Eric F 07-12-22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22572305)
Time for new gloves. I've been wearing Giro Bravos since time immemorial. What do you wear/recommend?

Currently, Giro Monaco II Gel. They're fine. Nothing exciting, but no complaints. My primary reason for picking them was that they match the color of my team/club kit.

gnome 07-12-22 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22572319)
Itís a 48 which translates to a 52 in old money. Sorry, String Bean. :D

Ohh. basically my size. I call dibs on both the trike and the Colnago.

datlas 07-12-22 02:13 PM

Speaking of gloves....

On last week's ride, a rider crashed. It was a hot and humid day, and apparently he hit a stick or some other obstacle and went down. I did NOT witness the crash, but came upon the group a minute afterwards. He was NOT wearing gloves. My suspicion is the hot/humid weather plus sweat made his grip on the bars a problem, so when he hit the obstacle his hands fell off the bars and he crashed.

Of course, I did not discuss this with him as I did not want him to feel any worse. But I think my observation is right, and that's one reason I always wear gloves in the hot/humid weather.

datlas 07-12-22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22572395)

Shipping costs to NZ may be an issue.

Trsnrtr 07-12-22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 22572395)

Iíll tell my wife when the time comes. Wonder what shipping is halfway around the world? :foo:

WhyFi 07-12-22 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22572410)
Speaking of gloves....

On last week's ride, a rider crashed. It was a hot and humid day, and apparently he hit a stick or some other obstacle and went down. I did NOT witness the crash, but came upon the group a minute afterwards. He was NOT wearing gloves. My suspicion is the hot/humid weather plus sweat made his grip on the bars a problem, so when he hit the obstacle his hands fell off the bars and he crashed.

Of course, I did not discuss this with him as I did not want him to feel any worse. But I think my observation is right, and that's one reason I always wear gloves in the hot/humid weather.

I only wear gloves when I want to keep my hands warm, but I seem to be an outlier in MN. No problems with grip (unless I'm on the flat, unwrapped section of my bars); bar tape selection prolly has a big say in that, though. On the group rides in VA, which is a wee bit sweatier than MN, I noticed that a lot of 'em didn't wear gloves, either.

Eric F 07-12-22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22572451)
I only wear gloves when I want to keep my hands warm, but I seem to be an outlier in MN. No problems with grip (unless I'm on the flat, unwrapped section of my bars); bar tape selection prolly has a big say in that, though. On the group rides in VA, which is a wee bit sweatier than MN, I noticed that a lot of 'em didn't wear gloves, either.

Even on a hot summer day, I wear gloves. It feels weird not to.

BillyD 07-12-22 03:31 PM

Ok I have a test today for all you studs, a little more testosterone required than the daily Wordle contest. How many of these tools can you identify?

This is some of my dad's stuff that I reclaimed 24 years ago when he passed on. He was a truck mechanic in the military but later got into construction and cabinetry . . . you should see the altar he made for his church. Awesome. He was a master of all trades he dipped his hand into, and was self-taught in most of them. That's how they rolled in those days.

Anyway, I have to get rid of some of this stuff I've been holding onto for years. He's got power tools from the days they were made of metal so they weigh a ton. and of course they all still work. I'm going to take a lot of the stuff to a consignment shop because I just don't have the time and patience for eBay.

I'll be showing more as I dig through this dusty workshop of mine.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...edea4204e0.jpg

gnome 07-12-22 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22572419)
Iíll tell my wife when the time comes. Wonder what shipping is halfway around the world? :foo:

lots

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22572412)
Shipping costs to NZ may be an issue.

probably.

WhyFi 07-12-22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22572419)

I mean, no hurry, but my friend is movin' over there, as soon as he gets the final a-okay on his paperwork, and could take it with him. :P

genejockey 07-12-22 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22572460)
Even on a hot summer day, I wear gloves. It feels weird not to.

Me too. Not padded ones. Giro Zero CS. They fit very snug and provide the right grip.

BillyD 07-12-22 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22572327)
Could be O.L.D.??

Whatís the cure? Big pharmís got nothing? No fountain? :notamused:

genejockey 07-12-22 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22572533)
Whatís the cure? Big pharmís got nothing? No fountain? :notamused:

Perhaps Ponce de Leon found it, but drank too deeply, and youthened all the way back to a single spermatozoon and an unfertilized ovum?

Mojo31 07-12-22 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22572513)
I mean, no hurry, but my friend is movin' over there, as soon as he gets the final a-okay on his paperwork, and could take it with him. :P

Doesnít Trsnrtr have to kick the bucket first? I donít think heís volunteering for that.

seedsbelize2 07-12-22 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22572410)
Speaking of gloves....

Same. Sweat mitigation is my primary reason for them. I found the Bravos on sale on Amazon and ordered a pair. They cost less than my first ever pair, bought in an Lbs I haven't been into for at least 10 years.
Edit: I had the Giro Zeros once but they gave up the ghost very quickly due to all the sweat,

seedsbelize2 07-12-22 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22572487)
Ok I have a test today for all you studs, a little more testosterone required than the daily Wordle contest. How many of these tools can you identify?

This is some of my dad's stuff that I reclaimed 24 years ago when he passed on. He was a truck mechanic in the military but later got into construction and cabinetry . . . you should see the altar he made for his church. Awesome. He was a master of all trades he dipped his hand into, and was self-taught in most of them. That's how they rolled in those days.

Anyway, I have to get rid of some of this stuff I've been holding onto for years. He's got power tools from the days they were made of metal so they weigh a ton. and of course they all still work. I'm going to take a lot of the stuff to a consignment shop because I just don't have the time and patience for eBay.

I'll be showing more as I dig through this dusty workshop of mine.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...092631abeb.jpg

Nice drill bit there on the right.
Otherwise i can't ID any but the obvious giant allen wrench and the combo wrenches. Oh and that nail puller.
Edit: I see a nice E-Z out second concrete bit and a couple taps. Possibly a slide hammer. That long pointy thing looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it. A little hone kinda thing for cleaning up a drilled hole. Far left and tiny. A little countersink bit, tinier than the hone. A t-handle for the taps. A concrete bit. Actually that little t-handle is too small for either of those taps.
Ok, I think I'm done now.

Bah Humbug 07-12-22 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22571645)
A small tarantula just strolled across the floor.

The only solution is to burn the house down.