Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Threadless adapter moves too easy on Giant Cypress (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1269634)

moth_baller 03-31-23 09:39 PM

Threadless adapter moves too easy on Giant Cypress

Return window is past gone because I haven't rode in a couple months and forgot about this issue. Happened again the other day when I was out riding it.

I have a mid 2000s giant cypress. The quill stem was starting to get a lot of play so I decided to go threadless.

The threadless adapter i got was 1 1/8. Ot wasnt the super popular one thats on amazon. It was a cheaper one. Seemed to install fine. Even snugging it down as much as possible it isn't securing. Solid as far as trying to come out. But I can very easily twist the handle bars and the adaptor is what's moving. Originally I thought the stem was to blame but it isn't. It's an easton.

I know it's supposed to give but this seems excessively easy. Do not have the issue riding it on the pavement. But if I've had to dart around people and ride on grass/bumps for a while, the handle bars will be crooked.

Advice is appreciated

BTinNYC 04-01-23 06:20 AM

You say the original quill stem was moving too. Makes me wonder about the fork tube, have you inspected it? Possibly bulged or cracked where the quill wedge sits?

I think my adapter is from Origin8 and it is solid.

Lombard 04-01-23 07:58 AM

Hi and welcome!

Could you attach some photos so we have a better idea of what's going on?

RiceAWay 04-01-23 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by BTinNYC (Post 22846919)
You say the original quill stem was moving too. Makes me wonder about the fork tube, have you inspected it? Possibly bulged or cracked where the quill wedge sits?

I have never had a problem with any of the threadless adapters. You can't even overtighten them so if you're having a problem first LOOK at the steering tube. I've never seen one break but there's always a first time.

I would suggest you take the top two headset threaded nuts off and if you have enough cable length drop it out the bottom and inspect it very carefully. If you don't have enough cable length I'm sure that you would have enough to drop it down to where the threadless adapter seats.

veganbikes 04-02-23 01:58 PM

There could be other issues with your fork. Without pictures or inspecting it in person it is hard to tell for sure but it sounds like something else could be up. The bike is a low initial cost bike so be careful putting a lot into it especially if you need a new fork. Also keep in mind 1 1/8 threaded forks aren't common it was a cheap kludge for a lot of bike manufacturers making low cost bikes. It is becoming less and less common but is still practiced for some reason.

For those with 1" quill stems who want to go threadless and want a good clean look without having to change forks or deal with another quill stem try this: https://www.innicycle.com/ I don't work for the company or get anything from it I just think it is a really nice product and super practical for those old bikes we love.

cyccommute 04-02-23 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by moth_****** (Post 22846793)
Return window is past gone because I haven't rode in a couple months and forgot about this issue. Happened again the other day when I was out riding it.

I have a mid 2000s giant cypress. The quill stem was starting to get a lot of play so I decided to go threadless.

The threadless adapter i got was 1 1/8. Ot wasnt the super popular one thats on amazon. It was a cheaper one. Seemed to install fine. Even snugging it down as much as possible it isn't securing. Solid as far as trying to come out. But I can very easily twist the handle bars and the adaptor is what's moving. Originally I thought the stem was to blame but it isn't. It's an easton.

I know it's supposed to give but this seems excessively easy. Do not have the issue riding it on the pavement. But if I've had to dart around people and ride on grass/bumps for a while, the handle bars will be crooked.

Advice is appreciated

Are you sure you have the right adapter? Adapters come in two sizes. One is for a 1” threaded headset to a 1 1/8” threadless stem and the other is for a 1 1/8” headset to a 1 1/8” threadless stem. Is your adapter for a 1” threaded steer tube and you are trying to use it in a 1 1/8”, it won’t work. Measure the diameter of the lower part of the adapter and make sure it is 25.4mm wide. If it is 22.2mm wide, it is for a 1” headset and will not work.

moth_baller 04-03-23 12:13 AM

I'm super sorry, I fixed it and forgot about my thread.

It won't let me post links or pics since I still don't have 10 posts on here.

The wedge nut on the adapter ended up being the problem. I switched it for the one that came with the stock quill stem. The adapter nut is grooved/slotted the whole way around. The middle of the old nut is smooth and not grooved. Just wasn't making enough metal on metal contact I guess.

It takes a good amount of force for the handle bars to move.

stock and new adaptor are both marked 25.4mm so I definitely got the right size.

The adaptor I bought is branded as zukka on amazon.

moth_baller 04-03-23 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by BTinNYC (Post 22846919)

The original one started having problems where you adjust the angle.

Lombard 04-03-23 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by moth_****** (Post 22848500)
I'm super sorry, I fixed it and forgot about my thread.

It won't let me post links or pics since I still don't have 10 posts on here.

The wedge nut on the adapter ended up being the problem. I switched it for the one that came with the stock quill stem. The adapter nut is grooved/slotted the whole way around. The middle of the old nut is smooth and not grooved. Just wasn't making enough metal on metal contact I guess.

It takes a good amount of force for the handle bars to move.

stock and new adaptor are both marked 25.4mm so I definitely got the right size.

The adaptor I bought is branded as zukka on amazon.

You have 11 posts now, so you should be able to post photos.