Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

indyfabz 08-06-21 08:04 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22173283)
Really? Those tricky bastards.

Yep. Around here they are pretty brazen. Not all that afraid of human presence.

big john 08-06-21 08:07 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22173242)
Ok, we are going to be in LA starting in 1 week and I do want to download some possible routes onto my Garmin as I will likely NOT be taking my computer with me.

Any tips on finding/choosing a good route online? Reminder we are staying in West LA so my inclination is to head out to some of the gorges north of Malibu (eg Latigo/Gibraltar) but I am open to other options.

Are you going to be limited to riding from your hotel or will you be using a car to get to ride starts? You can ride from West LA to Latigo Canyon, for example, but the traffic on that part of PCH is awful, imho. It would be fun to start at the bottom of Latigo or someplace in that area and go up one of the canyons and descend a different one.
Gibraltar is much further, near Santa Barbara. A great ride for climbers but you need a car.
Consider the weather, too. It's coolling down this weekend but if it goes back up the climbs from the coast will be brutal, unless you start very early. It can be nice at the coast but the temperature will climb rapidly just a few miles inland. This may be ok depending on how acclimated you are and if you know where to get water.

If it's too hot you can stay at the shore and ride to Point Mugu or go the other way to Palos Verdes. That way (south) is where all the people are but still some good riding.

WhyFi 08-06-21 08:07 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22173288)
My bigger concern is how easy it can be to get hurt by a motorist in SoCal.

#SafetyFirst

Maybe you can see if Phil Gaimon is still hiring himself out as a local guide. I hear that he likes to climb, so that's right in your wheelhouse.

genejockey 08-06-21 08:18 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22173169)
South Carolina?

Lord, no. Pennsylvania, though the part of it that might as well be South Carolina.

Velo Vol 08-06-21 08:19 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22173319)
Lord, no. Pennsylvania, though the part of it that might as well be South Carolina.

I meant the peaches.

genejockey 08-06-21 08:21 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22173322)
I meant the peaches.

So did I.this is orchard country. Why would we IMPORT peaches? Coals to Newcastle.

datlas 08-06-21 08:26 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22173299)
Are you going to be limited to riding from your hotel or will you be using a car to get to ride starts? You can ride from West LA to Latigo Canyon, for example, but the traffic on that part of PCH is awful, imho. It would be fun to start at the bottom of Latigo or someplace in that area and go up one of the canyons and descend a different one.
Gibraltar is much further, near Santa Barbara. A great ride for climbers but you need a car.
Consider the weather, too. It's coolling down this weekend but if it goes back up the climbs from the coast will be brutal, unless you start very early. It can be nice at the coast but the temperature will climb rapidly just a few miles inland. This may be ok depending on how acclimated you are and if you know where to get water.

If it's too hot you can stay at the shore and ride to Point Mugu or go the other way to Palos Verdes. That way (south) is where all the people are but still some good riding.

First order of business is getting the bike, which is in Sherman Oaks. I will get an Uber or other mode to get there and ride the bike to where we are staying in West LA. Google says best way is via Sepulveda BLVD. Anything with a name like BLVD makes me wonder, is that bike-friendly?

Velo Vol 08-06-21 08:33 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22173326)
So did I.this is orchard country. Why would we IMPORT peaches? Coals to Newcastle.

I've never seen a peach from PA.

Velo Vol 08-06-21 08:34 AM

LOL


WhyFi 08-06-21 08:46 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22173346)

Awesome. So is this the actual dude or is this just a bit? Brilliant either way, but an extra heaping of kudos if he's the dude.

edit: okay - just a comedic bit. Still awesome.

datlas 08-06-21 08:58 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22173344)
I've never seen a peach from PA.

We have a peach tree. It produces juicy and super-sweet fruit, somewhere around 25 pounds or so. However it's only good fruit for about 1 week, and I am askeered that it will happen the week we are away in LA.

big john 08-06-21 09:10 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22173334)
First order of business is getting the bike, which is in Sherman Oaks. I will get an Uber or other mode to get there and ride the bike to where we are staying in West LA. Google says best way is via Sepulveda BLVD. Anything with a name like BLVD makes me wonder, is that bike-friendly?

Yes, Sepulveda from the Sherman Oaks area south is fine. You climb over the pass and there is a tunnel at the top but it's not a problem tunnel. When you descend the other side eventually you come to Constitution Ave, @ the Veteran's Cemetery. There, you turn right which gets you away from traffic. The road takes you through the VA hospital and you end up on San Vicente, which is a bike friendly route to the beach. I don't know where you are staying but San Vicente is a good way to get West.
WLA VA Hospital - Google Maps

You definitely want to avoid Sunset Blvd and Wilshire Blvd. If you take San Vicente to Ocean (the end of San Vicente) you can use Ocean to go south. It's busy but not fast and there is a bike lane.

Velo Vol 08-06-21 09:12 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22173396)
We have a peach tree. It produces juicy and super-sweet fruit, somewhere around 25 pounds or so. However it's only good fruit for about 1 week, and I am askeered that it will happen the week we are away in LA.

More goodies for the groundhog.

datlas 08-06-21 09:31 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22173421)
Yes, Sepulveda from the Sherman Oaks area south is fine. You climb over the pass and there is a tunnel at the top but it's not a problem tunnel. When you descend the other side eventually you come to Constitution Ave, @ the Veteran's Cemetery. There, you turn right which gets you away from traffic. The road takes you through the VA hospital and you end up on San Vicente, which is a bike friendly route to the beach. I don't know where you are staying but San Vicente is a good way to get West.
WLA VA Hospital - Google Maps

You definitely want to avoid Sunset Blvd and Wilshire Blvd. If you take San Vicente to Ocean (the end of San Vicente) you can use Ocean to go south. It's busy but not fast and there is a bike lane.

Got it. Good info. Thanks!

We are staying in an Air BnB house that is near the intersection of Tennessee and Kelton. I am told it's a decent neighborhood. The house looks gorgeous, at least online.

Mojo31 08-06-21 09:34 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22173346)


"Mmmmmmmummify yo ass."

That's some funny stuff.

big john 08-06-21 09:41 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22173458)
Got it. Good info. Thanks!

We are staying in an Air BnB house that is near the intersection of Tennessee and Kelton. I am told it's a decent neighborhood. The house looks gorgeous, at least online.

Oh, so you're east of the freeway. I was thinking you were west. Still, I would avoid Sepulveda past the VA/Wilshire Blvd area. I never ride that area but let me see if I can come up with a bike friendly way to get through those last few miles.

datlas 08-06-21 09:41 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22173427)
More goodies for the groundhog.

That thing is NEVER going to leave. I believe it has a home under our outdoor shed.

datlas 08-06-21 09:43 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22173477)
Oh, so you're east of the freeway. I was thinking you were west. Still, I would avoid Sepulveda past the VA/Wilshire Blvd area. I never ride that area but let me see if I can come up with a bike friendly way to get through those last few miles.

Google Maps has me looping around the VA and then taking Santa Monica BLVD (just for a few blocks, then Veteran Ave). I am open to suggestions.

genejockey 08-06-21 09:43 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22173344)
I've never seen a peach from PA.

You probably did without knowing it. It's not like they wave flags.

Mojo31 08-06-21 09:44 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22173458)
Got it. Good info. Thanks!

We are staying in an Air BnB house that is near the intersection of Tennessee and Kelton. I am told it's a decent neighborhood. The house looks gorgeous, at least online.

Are you going to visit the Rodeo Drive shops? Not very practical by any means, but fun to gauke and see celebs if you're into that.

We strolled through that area some time ago while on a vacation, and went into a well-known watch store. I asked to look at one that was in a stand alone case, and while they had it out the security guard stood about a foot behind me. As I was looking at it, I casually asked the price and was told $600. I told the sales person that it was very nice and that I appreciated her letting me have a look. As we left, my daughter (about 13 at the time) asked why I didn't buy it since it was so cool and only $300. The look on her face when I told her that it was $600,000 was priceless.

In another store not far from there, we were looking at watches again and my son started talking to the sales guy about tennis since he was playing a lot at the time. The guy asked him if he would like to see the watch Nadal was wearing then, and pulled one out of the case. He let my son (age 10) try it on, and told him it was only $250,000. I was astounded that he let my son even touch it.

Things are very different out there than what I'm used to.

genejockey 08-06-21 09:46 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22173396)
We have a peach tree. It produces juicy and super-sweet fruit, somewhere around 25 pounds or so. However it's only good fruit for about 1 week, and I am askeered that it will happen the week we are away in LA.

According to my orchard-owning friends here, peaches now run from late June to September, whereas they used to be just 2 weeks in August. More varieties.

big john 08-06-21 09:54 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22173481)
Google Maps has me looping around the VA and then taking Santa Monica BLVD (just for a few blocks, then Veteran Ave). I am open to suggestions.

I was thinking Montana (from Sepulveda before the VA) to Veteran but I have sent an e-mail to a friend who lives near there to ask about it. Might work.

Some of those roads in West LA are big and busy but have room for bikes and are not intimidating. Some of them suck.

datlas 08-06-21 10:04 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22173484)
Are you going to visit the Rodeo Drive shops? Not very practical by any means, but fun to gauke and see celebs if you're into that.

We strolled through that area some time ago while on a vacation, and went into a well-known watch store. I asked to look at one that was in a stand alone case, and while they had it out the security guard stood about a foot behind me. As I was looking at it, I casually asked the price and was told $600. I told the sales person that it was very nice and that I appreciated her letting me have a look. As we left, my daughter (about 13 at the time) asked why I didn't buy it since it was so cool and only $300. The look on her face when I told her that it was $600,000 was priceless.

In another store not far from there, we were looking at watches again and my son started talking to the sales guy about tennis since he was playing a lot at the time. The guy asked him if he would like to see the watch Nadal was wearing then, and pulled one out of the case. He let my son (age 10) try it on, and told him it was only $250,000. I was astounded that he let my son even touch it.

Things are very different out there than what I'm used to.

We might, but neither mrs datlas nor I are big into celebrities OR shopping, so maybe not. Main goal is to get daughter #2 into her dorm and set up. I do plan to get in some cycling and mrs datlas is a culture vulture so we will have to see some museums etc., but we are there for 8 days so I am guessing we will also do some other "touristy" things, covid19 permitting.

seedsbelize 08-06-21 10:09 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22173153)
Something has been getting into our garden/compost pile.

Today, mrs datlas found the culprit:


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd11ee2a6.jpeg


p.s. btw if any serious gardeners are looking, you might notice my asparagus patch to the right of the fence.

Jackie!

MoAlpha 08-06-21 10:12 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22173344)
I've never seen a peach from PA.

PA peaches are very good.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.