Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

datlas 03-02-22 08:35 PM

We are back in PA. Jackie is being quite vocal about missing us. She is also a bit too clingy, but I expect she will be back to normal soon.

Bah Humbug 03-02-22 08:47 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22426751)
Itís not a winning strategy.

Is there one?

phrantic09 03-02-22 08:51 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22426683)
Also, it just occurred to me that my Custom User Title while I was on my huge riding kick was mostly "runner" with a location of "on the trainer". Now that I'm off the bike and on the trainer and working back to running, they're "serious cyclist" and my actual location.

Irony.

Crazy world aside, hope the hip is improving.

Iíve chosen the route of let it build up and explode once in a while. Seems healthy enough.

As for WWIII - not gonna happen, nobody, even P, is that nuts

datlas 03-02-22 08:51 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22426762)
Is there one?

Possibly. Positive attitude, gratitude, and acceptance are a good start. But itís complicated and YMMV, obv.

Mojo31 03-02-22 09:00 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22426762)
Is there one?

We spent a week on a boat in the Caribbean a few weeks ago. Island life is looking pretty good right now.

abshipp 03-02-22 09:07 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22425021)
Yah, but there has to be a reason the cult are nuts for them

FWIW I've got their 650b x 38mm extralights on my Trek and its like riding on a cloud. Lasting surprisingly long, too. I'm at about 2700 miles on the rear and while it's squared off there's no threads showing or anything like that at all. I've been thinking about retiring all the 650b road stuff but kind of want to see how long this tire will go :lol: And I'm not exactly a featherweight, either :rolleyes:

One of my first rides on them I crossed some rumble strips and barely felt anything. Weird but super awesome. I think I was running much lower pressures then than I do now though.

I'm faster on cheaper 28s than on those fancy 38s for sure, but I wonder how much of that is a ~20lb modern road bike vs a 30lb 40 year old Trek.

BillyD 03-02-22 09:10 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22426606)
That's one of the existential threats, yes. But only one. I have no idea how people are just working and arguing sports and everything else. There are at least three or four... maybe I need some of that denial. I'm just trying to not melt down for AG, but I have no idea how to look past this exact moment.

I felt that way during some of our most outrageous national incidents the previous 2 or 3 years. I was like, "How can these people come in here and talk about freaking bicycles on a day like today?" SAF

BillyD 03-02-22 09:15 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22426615)
Sports? Baseball is finished, in my eyes. Those idiots have blown it, and I hope they never recover.

Good thing we have an age limit so they can't just barge into our senior softball league in frustration. Although I must concede most have enough spare change to just buy me out if they want.

LAJ 03-02-22 09:19 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22426783)
I felt that way during some of our most outrageous national incidents the previous 2 or 3 years. I was like, "How can these people come in here and talk about freaking bicycles on a day like today?" SAF

Because the weirdness that's gone on may be nothing in comparison to what someone may have actually lived through IRL. As said, it's all relative.

LAJ 03-02-22 09:19 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22426786)
Good thing we have an age limit so they can't just barge into our senior softball league in frustration. Although I must concede most have enough spare change to just buy me out if they want.

Just say no. :)

Mojo31 03-02-22 09:20 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22426783)
I felt that way during some of our most outrageous national incidents the previous 2 or 3 years. I was like, "How can these people come in here and talk about freaking bicycles on a day like today?" SAF

Because itís more enjoyable?

Because there is a feeling of hopelessness, and talking about other things helps push that feeling aside?

indyfabz 03-02-22 09:29 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22426762)
Is there one?


BillyD 03-02-22 09:32 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22426789)
Because itís more enjoyable?

Because there is a feeling of hopelessness, and talking about other things helps push that feeling aside?

I'll grant that hopelessness accounts for about a third of the total. Apathy and delusion each occupy a third of their own.

But alas, I've possibly said more than I should. They will dock my pay.

rjones28 03-02-22 09:32 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22426783)
I felt that way during some of our most outrageous national incidents the previous 2 or 3 years. I was like, "How can these people come in here and talk about freaking bicycles on a day like today?" SAF

People talk about bikes in here?

indyfabz 03-02-22 09:32 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22426753)
We are back in PA. Jackie is being quite vocal about missing us. She is also a bit too clingy, but I expect she will be back to normal soon.

Stephen is like that when I get home from my tours. I donít mind if he hangs on the couch with me. Itís the following me around that gets annoying.

BillyD 03-02-22 09:38 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22426794)

I still enjoy that movie.

phrantic09 03-02-22 10:07 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22426778)
I'm faster on cheaper 28s than on those fancy 38s for sure, but I wonder how much of that is a ~20lb modern road bike vs a 30lb 40 year old Trek.

I guess thatís the $200 question right?? Iím on a 28 S-works turbo that is supposed to be fast but doesnít feel it most of the time. Granted, temps are generally in the 10s and 20s so who knows. The Challenge handmade tires intrigue me, but rumor has it they suck to mount. If RH made an extralight 28 or 32 tubeless, Iíd be in.

phrantic09 03-02-22 10:11 PM

Speaking of cold temps- I bought the Vertex WX-D from Pactimo when they had a 50%off sale. Itís unbelievably good- if itís over 30 all I need is a jersey underneath. In the 20s and 10s just a light thermal base layer is enough.

big john 03-02-22 10:36 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22426736)
I just stayed drunk. I likely never dropped below a .05, and that was after I'd been awake for most of the day. Carrying a .3 was cake, and I remember every second of the time they took blood and pulled a .34. Blackouts only happened with Tanqueray, so I stayed away from that.

Once I became a non-drinker instead of someone who quit drinking, it became easy. Easy is also relative.

I got so sick that quitting was the only option. Tried to go back once, it hurt a lot, so that was it. It became easier once I came to grips with never being able to drink again. That took some months and I was tough to be around.

genejockey 03-02-22 10:44 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22426783)
I felt that way during some of our most outrageous national incidents the previous 2 or 3 years. I was like, "How can these people come in here and talk about freaking bicycles on a day like today?" SAF

Compartmentalization. And denial. And someplace else where I talk about the crazy **** happening in this country.

phrantic09 03-03-22 04:17 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22426842)
Compartmentalization. And denial. And someplace else where I talk about the crazy s**t happening in this country.

Itís really too overwhelming to think or talk about how nuts the world is. Weíre destroying our planet and nobody cares because ofÖ Iím not exactly sure.

My wife reads NY Times every morning and narrates what sheís reading and it gives me a ****-ton of anxiety, but it helps her with herís so I donít say anything.

Roding bikes and talking about them keeps me sane

ls01 03-03-22 04:43 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22426903)
Itís really too overwhelming to think or talk about how nuts the world is. Weíre destroying our planet and nobody cares because ofÖ Iím not exactly sure.

My wife reads NY Times every morning and narrates what sheís reading and it gives me a ****-ton of anxiety, but it helps her with herís so I donít say anything.

Roding bikes and talking about them keeps me sane

Because of $. People at the top trying to stay at the top and the people at the bottom trying to claw their way up.

phrantic09 03-03-22 04:57 AM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22426906)
Because of $. People at the top trying to stay at the top and the people at the bottom trying to claw their way up.

Yah

indyfabz 03-03-22 05:29 AM

*sigh*

Wordle 257 5/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Trsnrtr 03-03-22 06:45 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22426797)
People talk about bikes in here?

I try to but people keep derailing the forum with watches, knives, power tools, boats, baseball, football, depressing stuff, etc. :lol:

Trsnrtr 03-03-22 06:49 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22426824)
I guess thatís the $200 question right?? Iím on a 28 S-works turbo that is supposed to be fast but doesnít feel it most of the time. Granted, temps are generally in the 10s and 20s so who knows. The Challenge handmade tires intrigue me, but rumor has it they suck to mount. If RH made an extralight 28 or 32 tubeless, Iíd be in.

I had some Challenge tires for my gravel bike a few years ago, donít remember which model, but they were like tough to mount. Itís like you need an extra hand or two. About the time you think you got it, the tire flops off the rim and you have to start over.

phrantic09 03-03-22 07:03 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22426944)
I had some Challenge tires for my gravel bike a few years ago, donít remember which model, but they were like tough to mount. Itís like you need an extra hand or two. About the time you think you got it, the tire flops off the rim and you have to start over.

Yah, Iíve read that about them.

abshipp 03-03-22 07:11 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22426824)
Iím on a 28 S-works turbo that is supposed to be fast but doesnít feel it most of the time. Granted, temps are generally in the 10s and 20s so who knows.

In my memory when it's that cold nothing feels particularly nice. That's why I'm in SC now :lol:

phrantic09 03-03-22 07:12 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22426958)
In my memory when it's that cold nothing feels particularly nice. That's why I'm in SC now :lol:

12 years till I go someplace warmer.

abshipp 03-03-22 07:12 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22426753)
We are back in PA. Jackie is being quite vocal about missing us. She is also a bit too clingy, but I expect she will be back to normal soon.

That's my favorite thing about coming home after being gone.

Kitties being extra cuddly is almost always a good thing in my eyes.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.