Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

gster 08-01-17 09:05 AM

Toronto Vintage Bicycle Show.
 
4 Attachment(s)
Sunday's show was a great success. Unfortunately, I didn't have a memory card in my camera....
I'm waiting on photos from someone else and will post in time.
In the mean time, here's a Raleigh Royal Roadster recently posted on Kijiji Toronto.
Attachment 574390

Attachment 574391

Attachment 574392

Attachment 574393

BigChief 08-01-17 10:27 AM

@gster Can't wait to see em. With your display, the cats out of the bag now. A scorcher revival is in the air!

cambiker71 08-01-17 04:08 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19758585)
Yes, an old English post office bike. How cool. Those round lugs were used to mount a front rack.
1935 CWS ?Federal? Post Office Inspector?s Bicycle | The Online Bicycle Museum

That's right, searching for a rack of some description now :D

ascherer 08-02-17 08:25 AM

Yesterday my Sports made a new friend while I was at work:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4383/...b7a90bc7_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4329/...5f2f6ca0_h.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4303/...d95f325f_h.jpg

I've seen this conversion parked nearby as well as spotting it being ridden downtown once. I keep meaning to leave a note for the owner, I like the looks of it.

noglider 08-02-17 03:19 PM

It's English, but it's not a 3-speed. ;)

(It's a Raleigh Gran Sport.)

ascherer 08-02-17 04:41 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 19763640)
It's English, but it's not a 3-speed. ;)

Ah, but it *could* be! Would make a fine 3-speed.

I was always fond of the white and blue colo(u)r scheme Raleigh used during the '70s.

nlerner 08-02-17 07:23 PM

A very clean 21" 5-speed Sprite for sale in Cambridge, MA:

https://images.craigslist.org/00A0A_...t8_600x450.jpg

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...246975118.html

BigChief 08-03-17 05:59 AM

That's a good one. If I didn't already have a Sprite, I'd be headed over to Beantown now. I really like the S5 hub.

BigChief 08-03-17 06:05 AM

I'm one step closer to finishing my roadster. A perfect chain guard showed up on ebay and I nabbed it. The original was badly pitted so I used filler and a total repaint. This one has just the right amount of damage...err...patina to match the bike. Now, I just need the right mudguards. That could take a while.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/...28353e9e_b.jpgDL1chain guard by Billy Bones, on Flickr

plympton 08-03-17 06:58 AM

Newbie. Would like to find out about my old Raleigh. How do I post a picture? That insert image icon asked about a url? I just want to post a picture with my question and can't.

clubman 08-03-17 07:05 AM


Originally Posted by plympton (Post 19764860)
Newbie. Would like to find out about my old Raleigh. How do I post a picture? That insert image icon asked about a url? I just want to post a picture with my question and can't.

Respond to this with one more post and then try to upload. Larger pics are best using a 3rd party image hosting service, not Photobucket.
Look for a date code on the rear hub as well.

plympton 08-03-17 07:42 AM

So, as I have tried this forum people have asked for pictures. I just tried. I can't seem to just cut and paste so I went to "tinypics" and tried to convert to url. Now site says that I am not allowed to post picture till I have 10 posts. Hum.

plympton 08-03-17 07:44 AM

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxmy4x/9 is this an image? Too much for this senior.

nlerner 08-03-17 07:50 AM


Originally Posted by plympton (Post 19764957)
http://tinypic.com/r/1zxmy4x/9 is this an image? Too much for this senior.

That didn't work, I'm afraid. Feel free to email the pic to me if you want an assist: lerner dot n at gmail dot com

Miller72 08-03-17 07:53 AM

HUMBER '69 Can't show you though
 
Does this work?
Trying to post a picture here is a little tricky for me...

Can't post a pic until I submit ten posts?
Is that accurate?

nlerner 08-03-17 08:00 AM


Originally Posted by Miller72 (Post 19764972)
Does this work?
Trying to post a picture here is a little tricky for me...

Can't post a pic until I submit ten posts?
Is that accurate?

Yes, that's right. But same offer as above. Feel free to email me the pic, and I'll post.

BigChief 08-03-17 08:28 AM

I'm glad photobucket shut off 3rd party images. Forced me to flicker which is far better than photobucket ever was. But, this forum does have an integrated image feature, but it is rather convoluted to use. Here's how it works.
click "go advanced"
Then click the little paper clip icon
then, use the browse button to select the image on your hard drive
then, upload
then shut off the dialog window and click the paper clip icon again and click "insert"
better yet, get a flicker account.

plympton 08-03-17 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 574617 is this an image?

plympton 08-03-17 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some how I have done it. So there is the bike. No serial numbers anywhere I can find, seat post, bottom bracket. read drop out nor Head tube. I think (google images) it's an early Dawn Tourist. It is a one speed. all original with a bad repaint. The spokes look very zinc-y. Is Raleigh stainless steal a ferrous stainless?Attachment 574619

Miller72 08-03-17 10:33 AM

Humber '69
 
My wife's, new old bike

https://goo.gl/photos/qFSqTAvVSdRYiM9u8b

I hope this worked

-Miller CT

noglider 08-03-17 10:33 AM

They used zinc plated spokes, not stainless. Stainless came out much later.

Miller72 08-03-17 10:43 AM

No pics yet it appears
 

Originally Posted by Miller72 (Post 19765447)
My wife's, new old bike

https://goo.gl/photos/qFSqTAvVSdRYiM9u8b

I hope this worked



-Miller CT

Let's try this....

https://goo.gl/photos/cEErboDrXxzh6v6q6

BigChief 08-03-17 10:47 AM

Wow, nice, nice bike. These bikes can be hard to date because they changed so little over the years, but I can see from the steering tube lug shape that this bike was made before 1955. The pedals are 1970s replacements.

dweenk 08-03-17 10:51 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19764753)
I'm one step closer to finishing my roadster. A perfect chain guard showed up on ebay and I nabbed it. The original was badly pitted so I used filler and a total repaint. This one has just the right amount of damage...err...patina to match the bike. Now, I just need the right mudguards. That could take a while.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/...28353e9e_b.jpgDL1chain guard by Billy Bones, on Flickr

I know someone who used to have a NOS pair of fenders. PM me if you are interested, and I'll call him.

Salubrious 08-03-17 11:10 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 19765449)
They used zinc plated spokes, not stainless. Stainless came out much later.

Raleigh was using stainless spokes back in the 1950s on some models. They also had stainless rims.

johnnyspaghetti 08-03-17 05:20 PM

Miller72 you put all your google pics up................I have difficulty with links pics and don't have a 9 year old kid to correct me. This lap top is over 10 yrs old. The neighbor down the street has this in there front yard, a phone pic this morning. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxu...ew?usp=sharing

plympton 08-03-17 05:37 PM

Thank you all for your help. And to BigChief, Interesting that you should say pre 1955. etched on the side of the rt pedal is a name. Not a common name. one born 1897 [too old?] and one born 1952. I would date the repaint to 1970 maybe a little earlier. With a 70's pedal I say it was purchased or given 2nd hand about then. But how old it it? When I settle in for the winter I will strip it down, find any numbers, and send the frame off for repaint. I have never rebuilt a bicycle before. Except, under the back porch of the tenement with friends in 1952. I have done other restorations. Please advice me as to the parts that I should save and those that I should expect to replace.

JohnDThompson 08-03-17 06:58 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 19766381)
Miller72 you put all your google pics up................I have difficulty with links pics and don't have a 9 year old kid to correct me. This lap top is over 10 yrs old. The neighbor down the street has this in there front yard, a phone pic this morning. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxu...ew?usp=sharing

That's a decent looking Sports. Seems a shame to have it die a slow, rusty death as a "garden bike."

treebound 08-03-17 07:15 PM

Would anyone have a cotter press that I can buy or borrow for a few days? I've got a '74 Sports with a particularly ornery cotter on the chainring side. I was able to tap out the other side with firm whacking with a slide hammer, but the sliding weight doesn't clear the chainring. So I used a rod with the crank supported on the end of a 2x4, then went over to a large plumbing vise and still no success. The cotter is peening over and beginning to bend. I now have the bearings out of the non-fixed side so the crank is now floppy, argh. I'm in Wisconsin north of Milwaukee.

nlerner 08-03-17 07:18 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 19765544)
Raleigh was using stainless spokes back in the 1950s on some models. They also had stainless rims.

Actually, I had a '37 Sports Tourist with stainless spokes, and that's also how they were described in the catalog of that year.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.