Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Framebuilders (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=229)
-   -   Looking to buy or rent an ISO fork disc jig (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1251671)

gugie 05-13-22 10:12 AM

Looking to buy or rent an ISO fork disc jig

Last time I used one I borrowed from a local framebuilder here in Portland, Oregon, no longer building. If anybody can help, I'd much appreciate it.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4327fce233.jpg

Andrew R Stewart 05-13-22 06:11 PM

I no one close by steps up let me know. I bought Starmichael's when I was last in Portland. Andy

duanedr 05-15-22 10:59 AM

I have a Phrunt Shui in Seattle I could send you to borrow. I think it would fit in the small USPS fixed rate box for like $6-7 each way.

duanedr 05-15-22 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 22505143)
Last time I used one I borrowed from a local framebuilder here in Portland, Oregon, no longer building. If anybody can help, I'd much appreciate it.

Replying to your post so you get notified.

gugie 05-15-22 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart (Post 22505725)
I no one close by steps up let me know. I bought Starmichael's when I was last in Portland. Andy

Damn, missed hooking up with you!

gugie 05-15-22 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by duanedr (Post 22507351)
I have a Phrunt Shui in Seattle I could send you to borrow. I think it would fit in the small USPS fixed rate box for like $6-7 each way.

Originally Posted by duanedr (Post 22507357)
Replying to your post so you get notified.

I found an incepi online and ordered it. If it gets back ordered, I'll take you up on your offer, thanks!

Andrew R Stewart 05-15-22 01:34 PM

Mark- I would be interested in your experiences with the Incepi after you used it. Andy

bulgie 05-15-22 06:10 PM

Question, I know it's not as good as a dedicated jig, but if you had the hub and brake, could you just put the hub in the frame/fork and clamp the brake onto the rotor, use that to tack? Maybe small quick tacks so you don't melt anything on the hub or the brake?

I know I did that on a tandem once long ago, like in the '80s, but I don't remember the brake brand or how well that method worked.

I guess if the brake has a piston on one side only*, then you might need to shim the rotor/hub connection while tacking, then take the shims out for use, so the rotor ends up centered between the pads when they're retracted.

* I don't pay attention to disk brakes, are they even made like that anymore? I'm guessing hydro brakes come in from both sides equally.

Mark B

guy153 05-16-22 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by bulgie (Post 22507764)
Question, I know it's not as good as a dedicated jig, but if you had the hub and brake, could you just put the hub in the frame/fork and clamp the brake onto the rotor, use that to tack? Maybe small quick tacks so you don't melt anything on the hub or the brake?

I know I did that on a tandem once long ago, like in the '80s, but I don't remember the brake brand or how well that method worked.

I guess if the brake has a piston on one side only*, then you might need to shim the rotor/hub connection while tacking, then take the shims out for use, so the rotor ends up centered between the pads when they're retracted.

* I don't pay attention to disk brakes, are they even made like that anymore? I'm guessing hydro brakes come in from both sides equally.

Mark B

I did that on my (so far) one disk fork. Worked for me (TIG tacking). So many ways to screw things up with all the different standards out there it's quite nice to work with the actual caliper and disk you're going to use when you're tacking it. That way nothing can go wrong. Well, less can go wrong anyway!

repechage 06-04-22 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by duanedr (Post 22507351)

more like $8.95 now, DeJoy at work

Cynikal 06-04-22 09:14 AM

Any reportable info on using the Incepi jig?

unterhausen 06-05-22 06:30 AM

You would think someone bought one since Eric/Incepi was the first to have a post mount front jig.

8aaron8 06-05-22 09:16 AM

It works just as expected. Really easy to loosen, file and swing back to make sure the brake boss fits the blade. Also, unlike the flat mount front adapter, the post mount gives plenty of torch access.

gugie 06-18-22 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart (Post 22507485)
Mark- I would be interested in your experiences with the Incepi after you used it. Andy

Originally Posted by bulgie (Post 22507764)

Mark B

Originally Posted by Cynikal (Post 22530620)
Any reportable info on using the Incepi jig?

Got it last week (ships from Canada), Works pretty much as advertised.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fe542981fd.jpg

This is a fork I started on 5 years ago, just now getting around to finish it up. I forgot that the SL dropouts I used are stainless, I took a lot of time to carefully file the small attachment area on the disk brake bit for a snug fit as I had to use silver alloy filler just on this region. A careful perusal will reveal some repair work, which has been effected.

Cynikal 06-20-22 07:18 AM

Thanks for the report on the tool. I bought one a few months ago and haven't had a chance to use it yet. Hopefully that will change soon.