Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Pasela logo change or different tires? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1266841)

polymorphself 01-28-23 03:29 PM

Pasela logo change or different tires?

Had a stray Pasela from a few years ago and just ordered a second to mount them on a bike. Pretty sure it’s the same tire but what is “protite belt” vs “protection technology?”

Tread seems a little shallower on the old one but maybe not. Protite is the recent one.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...354a63936.jpeg

P!N20 01-28-23 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by polymorphself (Post 22783605)
what is “protite belt” vs “protection technology?”

Marketing?

jadmt 01-28-23 04:37 PM

weigh them and see if they weigh the same.

P!N20 01-28-23 04:48 PM

Apparently ProTite is 24% strong(er)!

https://panaracer.com/en/products/ur...la-protite-en/

ThermionicScott 01-28-23 05:17 PM

Panasonic spun off the Panaracer tire division into a separate company a few years ago. The "ProTite/PT" protection layer has been in use for a long time, so I bet those tires are basically the same.

polymorphself 01-28-23 05:28 PM

Will weigh them later. The slightly varied logos are going to irk me on this very clean build :crash:

Chuck M 01-28-23 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by polymorphself (Post 22783715)
The slightly varied logos are going to irk me

I was going to say that it would bother me so bad I would buy a matching tire but I didn't want to project my irks on you. I had to use a spare tube a while back and the valve stem was a different length. I bought another tube and returned the longer one to spare tube duty.

polymorphself 01-28-23 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck M (Post 22783727)
I was going to say that it would bother me so bad I would buy a matching tire but I didn't want to project my irks on you. I had to use a spare tube a while back and the valve stem was a different length. I bought another tube and returned the longer one to spare tube duty.

I loathe mismatched stem lengths!

ThermionicScott 01-28-23 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck M (Post 22783727)

I have a few bikes running Paselas or Pari-Motos where the labels mismatch after replacing one of the tires. I'm mostly successful at not letting it bug me, but I wouldn't blame anyone who bought another so they could match! :thumb:

The Golden Boy 01-29-23 11:13 AM

I think I still have a set of the Pasela "TourGuard" from before the "Protection Technology" labeling...

sd5782 01-29-23 11:41 AM

I believe they may also offer the non ProTite version with a red label as I searched those out for a recent purchase. Perhaps the red labels were old stock.

ThermionicScott 01-29-23 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by sd5782 (Post 22784187)
I believe they may also offer the non ProTite version with a red label as I searched those out for a recent purchase. Perhaps the red labels were old stock.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...52e331bb9f.jpg

From the 2022 catalog. :thumb:

hokiefyd 01-29-23 03:22 PM

Yes, the red label tires don't have the ProTite belt, and there's definitely a difference between the two. I have two pairs of Pasleas in 38-622...one blue label and one red label. There is a ride quality difference that you can feel between the two. Everything about the tires seems the same...the only difference is the additional layer under the black tread area on the ProTite version.

Chuck M 01-29-23 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by hokiefyd (Post 22784382)
There is a ride quality difference that you can feel between the two.

Which do you you feel rides better. I got the red labels on one of my bikes and while I don't hate the ride, I wouldn't mind switching to the blue when I replace them if they were a bit better.

Darth Lefty 01-29-23 04:22 PM

The trick is to buy three tires so you two have rears to last the lifetime of the front.

I’m 85% kidding

ARider2 01-29-23 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by polymorphself (Post 22783793)
i loathe mismatched stem lengths!

ocd?

hokiefyd 01-29-23 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck M (Post 22784391)
Which do you you feel rides better. I got the red labels on one of my bikes and while I don't hate the ride, I wouldn't mind switching to the blue when I replace them if they were a bit better.

I'm sorry -- I should have specified. Without the additional puncture protection belt, the red label tires have a slightly smoother feel to me. Perhaps it's half (or all) placebo, but I do prefer the red labels personally. Neither is particularly "supple" when compared against high-dollar supple tires, but I think they're pretty good for the price paid.

polymorphself 01-29-23 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ARider2 (Post 22784464)
ocd?

Appreciation for aesthetics :D

52telecaster 01-29-23 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by hokiefyd (Post 22784483)
I'm sorry -- I should have specified. Without the additional puncture protection belt, the red label tires have a slightly smoother feel to me. Perhaps it's half (or all) placebo, but I do prefer the red labels personally. Neither is particularly "supple" when compared against high-dollar supple tires, but I think they're pretty good for the price paid.

The red labels do ride better to me but the also flat more often.

polymorphself 01-30-23 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 52telecaster (Post 22784666)
The red labels do ride better to me but the also flat more often.

Can confirm I've gotten flats on red labels and can't remember getting one on blues, though I also use thorn resistant tubes which help here in Arizona.

52telecaster 01-30-23 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by polymorphself (Post 22785125)
Can confirm I've gotten flats on red labels and can't remember getting one on blues, though I also use thorn resistant tubes which help here in Arizona.

Typically I never have a flat with the blues unless they are really worn. Also paselas smell great when they are new!

RandolphCarter 01-30-23 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ARider2 (Post 22784464)
ocd?

No, CDO.

It's the same thing as OCD but in proper alphabetical order.