Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   I rode somewhere on my bike! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1266842)

Random11 01-28-23 03:45 PM

I rode somewhere on my bike!

This may not seem too remarkable, but I've been riding a bit more than five years, and every ride before today has ended at the same place it started. I'm riding for exercise, and never have used the bike for transportation. Today I rode over to the house of one of my sons who lives a few miles away. (I've always driven there in the past because I go with my wife, but today it was just me.) I actually used the bike to take me somewhere!

How many of you other old timers just ride for exercise, like I do? How many of you actually use your bike(s) for transportation?

In my younger days I only used a bike for transportation. The last time I did so was when I was 27 and used a 10 speed to commute to work. But then I moved within walking distance of my work and didn't ride a bike again for 40 years, when I started riding for exercise. Until today, for the last five years the bike has just taken me back to where I started.

obrentharris 01-28-23 04:59 PM

This one is used almost exclusively for shopping and to the post office. I live in a rural area where we pick up our mail at the post office, so it is ridden frequently.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Bik...DSC2130-XL.jpg

I also ride it to the local trailheads when I feel more like hiking than riding.
Brent

MoAlpha 01-28-23 05:25 PM

Nice PX10!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...210a91a06.jpeg

Chuck M 01-28-23 06:28 PM

Does riding a bike to the brewery count as using it for exercise?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...75de2dfac.jpeg

Random11 01-28-23 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck M (Post 22783748)
Does riding a bike to the brewery count as using it for exercise?

You're using it to actually go somewhere. I should do that more than once every five years... and you've given me a good idea about where I should go!

BobbyG 01-28-23 07:54 PM

Random11 It IS remarkable. The further north of 50 you go, the more remarkable each adventure or accomplishment is.

You said that you started riding again 5 years ago for fitness after a 40 year break. How many people fail to stick with their fitness plan for even a month?

And now you expanded beyond your routine and rode for transportation, and I assume also for the joy of riding.

We can't know everyone's circumstances,but if it was remarkable for you, that's good enough for me!

So well, done! Don't let anyone steal your bliss. Ride your ride and enjoy it!

I for one look forward to reading about your further adventures.

go, Go, GO!

Random11 01-28-23 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyG (Post 22783815)
You said that you started riding again 5 years ago for fitness after a 40 year break. How many people fail to stick with their fitness plan for even a month?

Thanks for the comments, Bobby. While I took a 40 year break from cycling, I was a runner for more than half a century, until knee problems forced me to quit. So I had a regular fitness routine the whole time. I bought a bike when I had to give up running. I'm enjoying the cycling, but do miss being a runner.

In my youth, while I enjoyed riding, I never just got on a bike for enjoyment. It was always to get somewhere. Now, I never (except today) ride a bike to get somewhere. I enjoy riding, but my motivation for getting on the bike is fitness. It's replaced my running.

As for sticking with it, I'm pretty sure that if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it. I've heard people say (mostly about running) that they don't enjoy it, but are doing it because they think it's good for them. I don't think I have that kind of motivation.

Classtime 01-29-23 07:40 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c13aa3cf4.jpeg
Just returned with groceries.

Chuck Naill 01-29-23 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Random11 (Post 22783617)
This may not seem too remarkable, but I've been riding a bit more than five years, and every ride before today has ended at the same place it started. I'm riding for exercise, and never have used the bike for transportation. Today I rode over to the house of one of my sons who lives a few miles away. (I've always driven there in the past because I go with my wife, but today it was just me.) I actually used the bike to take me somewhere!

How many of you other old timers just ride for exercise, like I do? How many of you actually use your bike(s) for transportation?

In my younger days I only used a bike for transportation. The last time I did so was when I was 27 and used a 10 speed to commute to work. But then I moved within walking distance of my work and didn't ride a bike again for 40 years, when I started riding for exercise. Until today, for the last five years the bike has just taken me back to where I started.

For me, using a bike for transportation is what I prefer. It could be to run errands or just explore. Either way, it focused the effort more on going somewhere than just exercise. Exercise becomes a fringe benefit. Carry on!! :)

Bald Paul 01-29-23 08:14 AM

Most of my riding now is for exercise. When I was younger (as in back in the 70s younger) I rode my bike back and forth to work - as an auto technician - during the days of the gas crisis. 8 miles each way, and my boss made sure I had a secure place to store my bike during the day. I ended up fixing up some old bikes for some of the other techs who lived less that 2 miles away, and soon half the shop was commuting by bicycle to work on people's cars. The owner took a picture of the shop crew and our bicycles, and ran an ad in the newspaper that read something like "Our technicians know there's only one way to get better mileage than a tune up at XYZ"

RB1-luvr 01-29-23 10:15 AM

(58 years old) ...Occasionally I'll ride to the PO on Saturdays. And I ride to a campground a couple times a year. I really should do more errands on my bike.

Daniel4 01-29-23 10:27 AM

It's exercise whether you intend it to be or not. When I started cycling to work, I had lost 10 lbs in a year.

Nowadays I take my bike to the gym, hardware store, groceries or for an 38km ride roundtrip downtown to have a coffee.

And then on my non-gym (rest) days, I ride around anywhere for the hell of it.

LeeG 01-29-23 03:02 PM

I ride for fun. I just came back from a 45 minute off road ride. Glad to be alive but I sure would like to feel 20 yrs younger. At 67 I’m starting to feel like a character actor in a western. Thinking of getting a step through frame.

terrymorse 01-29-23 03:49 PM

Try what I call “UPS touring”:

You fill a box with a change of clothing and toiletries, UPS ship to a hotel, bike to the hotel, spend the night (or multiple nights), UPS ship the box home, ride home.

staehpj1 01-29-23 04:34 PM

These days I do mtb rides from home and back most often. Sometimes I use the bike to go mushroom hunting. I used to go on tours more often. I have done quite a few longish self supported tours. Most of them have been one way. A couple have been coast to coast. In the process of a tour there are lots of little rides to get groceries and what not.

John E 01-29-23 05:34 PM

I probably do as much transportation cycling as purely recreational. I do a lot of grocery shopping by bike, and I either walk or bike to the YMCA 3 times per week.

Joe Bikerider 01-29-23 06:01 PM

Whatever gets you out the door. And starting from your house is a lot better than driving somewhere to start. I guess I'm lucky that way. But that's the what I prefer.

Random11 01-29-23 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22784416)
Try what I call “UPS touring”:

You fill a box with a change of clothing and toiletries, UPS ship to a hotel, bike to the hotel, spend the night (or multiple nights), UPS ship the box home, ride home.

This is an interesting idea! I'd need to figure out where I could ride that would both be a desirable destination and have a safe way to ride there. Regrettably, there aren't many long rides in my area that seem safe from cars. Don't mean to put a damper of the thread, but last year, a neighbor of mine was cyling down to the coast, his wife driving down to meet him, and he was hit and killed by an SUV. Your idea is something to consider, if I could find a good route and destination.

Random11 01-29-23 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider (Post 22784553)
... And starting from your house is a lot better than driving somewhere to start...

I'm with you on that, Joe. I live in a large suburban neighborhood and almost all my riding leaves from my house and is on those neighborhood streets. I have other things I'd rather do with my time than drive my bike somewhere so I can ride it. It limits where I ride, though, because leaving the neighborhood means riding on heavily trafficked roads and I'm reluctant to mix it up with drivers who are inattentive, and sometimes even hostile toward the idea of sharing the road with cyclists. I do give in from time to time (maybe once a month) and drive my bike somewhere to ride it.

PaulH 01-29-23 07:10 PM

I'm a transportation biker and don't use bikes for anything else. I ride because car parking is scarce and inconvenient here in the DC area. Back in grad school, I decided that bikes were practical everyday transportation and that cars were for fun and recreation. In addition to being able to find a parking spot, the ability to use studded snow tires is a huge advantage in winter.

Fredo76 01-29-23 10:40 PM

I love running errands in the ridable parts of town on my bike. I can't think of anywhere within riding distance that I'd prefer to my own home for a stay, however.

Lots of long-distance backpackers do something similar to "UPS touring", picking up supplies they've sent themselves in advance.

Clyde1820 01-30-23 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Random11 (Post 22783617)

I mostly use the car. Primarily due to old injuries making cycling hard and often quite painful. But, I do ride for reasons of general exercise and occasionally for getting from point A to B.

One thing I've found, in 50+ years of biking, is that little jaunts for whatever reason often turn into longer trips ... if the inkling to ride becomes habitual. A little ride to feel good ... to enjoy the morning ... to get to the grocery and back ... whatever. Then another one later in the week, perhaps just because. Then turning shorter rides into somewhat longer ones. Then, joining up with a buddy to simply explore that trail or the other side of town. Great way to see the place where one lives, instead of zipping by inside a vehicle. Good for exercise, peace of mind. Good for simple transportation, assuming the roads/paths near one's home allow for that.

Which reminds me: it's high time for giving the ride the once-over, ahead of spring cycling. Weather's going to be turning, in another 6-8 weeks. Yaaayaaaaaaa!

Senathon 01-30-23 02:08 PM

I came out yesterday and found I had a flat tire and took my bike to work. I actually made better time on my bike than my Jeep because there was no one in the bike lane! :)

BTW, the parts of the bike line I took is exempt from Stop signs and traffic lights.

exercion 01-31-23 02:01 AM

Awesome job Randomn11! I ride for exercise, fun, and to go places. I'm fortunate to live in a state with a ton of rail trails, some quite long, such as the Great Allegheny Passage. I enjoy traveling on them, as well as on the roads. Nice thing about the r2t's is the lack of vehicle traffic in general. Even if it's just an out and back trip, they make for nice rides.

Eric
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d6760c4663.jpg
Heading to Pittsburgh.

Random11 01-31-23 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by exercion (Post 22785982)
... Nice thing about the r2t's is the lack of vehicle traffic in general. Even if it's just an out and back trip, they make for nice rides.

I agree, Eric. There's a nice r2t that's about a half hour drive from my house. But that hour of driving to get there and back is enough to discourage me from going too often. I'm too timid to ride my bike on the roads I'd have to navigate to cycle to the trail, so almost all my riding is on the suburban streets within my (rather large) neighborhood.