Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Too Hot to Ride (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=659810)

Sculptor7 07-05-10 03:40 PM

Too Hot to Ride

Maybe I am just resting on my laurels for having recently completed my first 100K ride or perhaps its just good sense. In any case, I am not going to beat up on myself for not riding during these 90+ days we are having here in Maine. It's really been a strange spring. Day after day of 50-55 interspersed with an occasional 90 degree scorcher. Not complaining. We have had some excellent days, too. For now, I am just laying low until the weather becomes more reasonable.

DnvrFox 07-05-10 03:51 PM

Makes sense to me. IMHO, bicycling should make one SMILE, which may be hard to do in 90+!!

Take care

cyclinfool 07-05-10 04:03 PM

It is very hot & getting humid here as well. I think my cycling will be in the wee hours of the AM until this breaks later in the week. I was planning on a very tough century next weekend but am not sure I want to do it at 90+ with high humidity. With the long days you should be able to go at 6AM or 7PM.

Phil85207 07-05-10 04:07 PM

Here in Arizona one must leave early in the morning to get some miles in. Today I left just before 4 AM. Here is my ride for today. Sometimes a person gotta do what a person gotta do.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/39314157

maddmaxx 07-05-10 04:20 PM

97 in CT. My wife and I took a leasurly ride at 8:30 this morning on the smooth part of the trail. No great effort expended but fun still had.

ahsposo 07-05-10 05:12 PM

OK. I'll give you the too hot but come February when it gets down to 40F here I get to claim too cold.

Deal?

jdon 07-05-10 05:25 PM

Yep, 97 and humid here as well. Went for a 40 k hill repeat ride this morning when it was 82. Sure wouldn't want to be doing it now.

It is supposed to cool off Friday so early rides it is until then.

sjordan1959 07-05-10 05:34 PM

How is it that here in the Southern California desert I needed armwarmers for the first hour of my ride at 7:30 AM? Crazy weather.

BluesDawg 07-05-10 06:03 PM

I'd have to give up riding for 3 months every year to avoid riding in 90+ weather. But no shame in taking a break for a few days. You don't even need a reason.

DnvrFox 07-05-10 06:11 PM

They just had an announcement on TV about the extreme - "hottest ever" heat wave on the east coast - not sure what states, but they are setting up "cool roooms" in public buildings for those without air conditioning. About 40 folks or so have already succumbed to the heat, they said.

I'm lucky - if I go out at 6am, I need arm warmers, and sometimes more, as in this morning when it was 48F.

Very early morning is always the best time to ride for me.

TomT74 07-05-10 06:29 PM

Rode a nice 44 miles Saturday in the mid-high 80s, including 6 repeats on a hill that used to hurt me. Felt fine at the end. Yesterday, did 25 in the mid 90's, rode easier and drank more than I did Saturday, and still felt beat up. Took the day off today (95F) Seems as if I have an upper limit of about 92F if I want to do any serious riding.

The Weak Link 07-05-10 06:37 PM

I dunno. I've ridden in multiple 90+ degree days this past month. It's not bad if you drink lots of fluids, take your time, and wear sleeveless jerseys.

chipcom 07-05-10 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx (Post 11064071)
97 in CT. My wife and I took a leasurly ride at 8:30 this morning on the smooth part of the trail. No great effort expended but fun still had.

I told Cheri that I wanted to be on the road by 8:30 Sunday morning for our planned metric. She wasn't ready to go until 9:30...and I reminded her why I wanted to leave at the earlier time when she bonked at about mile 50 and barely made it home. I was having a good legs day too...90+ or not. :(

My legs were still good today for a solo 40 miler tho. :D

chipcom 07-05-10 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 11064677)
wear sleeveless jerseys.

TRI GUYS!!! :eek:

The Weak Link 07-05-10 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by chipcom (Post 11064771)
TRI GUYS!!! :eek:

Yeah, one of these days I'll have to tell my parents that I'm, you know.....there's nothing wrong with that.

kr32 07-05-10 07:26 PM

Yeah it has been in the upper 90"s here and going to be all week. I'll ride but drink a lot like WL said and just take it easy, more or less.

10 Wheels 07-05-10 07:47 PM

Do I look Hot?( from Heat and Humidity) It just started to rain when I had a flat.
Temp 93*, Dew Point 78.1, Solar Radition 1186
86 Miles to Galveston TX

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...n3flats001.jpg

Slideshow pics:

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/h...view=slideshow

BengeBoy 07-05-10 08:03 PM

55 degrees this morning in Seattle when I pulled out for a ride -- wore shorts and a long-sleeve wool jersey. It was up to 59 when I got home.

Weatherman says summer arrives the next few days -- it will be all the way up to 80 by Thursday.

NOS88 07-06-10 04:41 AM

It's been in the high 90s for the last week here. Yesterday was the first day that my legs just weren't there. After 20 miles I was ready to call it a ride. I'll trade snow, ice and cold for hot riding weather any day. These are the days I dream about in the winter. I have a much better time adapting to heat than I do cold. When I get home I can get my core body temp back to normal with a cold shower and then the rest of the days just doesn't seem all that hot.

Now, if you want to talk hot, my oldest son lives about 20 miles from me. So, he gets the same weather. He rides about six miles to work (no big deal). Then he works eight hours in front of the 2000+ degree "glory hole" as a glass blower. He then rides home. He told me last week that he actually feels cooler riding in the 90+degree/90% humidity than at work. No surprise there I guess. Several months ago he asked if I wanted to do a "gather" for him (that is, pick up a blob of glass with the long metal tubes they use). When the door to the furnace opened (the glory hole), it felt hotter than anything I've ever experienced. I guess one can adapt to heat up to a point. He seems to be in an entirely different place with this ability. But then again, he's a young man. I'm guessing we may have some members on the forum that may have spent some time in steel mills or other places where "hot" takes on a completely different meaning. For me, riding in the heat just means more hydration/fuel and taking it a bit easier when the fatigue sets in.

Heart_Rate 07-06-10 04:54 AM

Welcome to Texas

Heck, that's our weather for 6 months a year. I'm not saying we actually get use to it, we just learn to put up with it.

It's definitely a subtropic climate here and as others have stated, you just learn to leave earlier and get back before the sun starts beating down.

H.R.

Sculptor7 07-06-10 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 11066052)
It's been in the high 90s for the last week here. Yesterday was the first day that my legs just weren't there. After 20 miles I was ready to call it a ride. I'll trade snow, ice and cold for hot riding weather any day. These are the days I dream about in the winter. I have a much better time adapting to heat than I do cold. When I get home I can get my core body temp back to normal with a cold shower and then the rest of the days just doesn't seem all that hot.

Now, if you want to talk hot, my oldest son lives about 20 miles from me. So, he gets the same weather. He rides about six miles to work (no big deal). Then he works eight hours in front of the 2000+ degree "glory hole" as a glass blower. He then rides home. He told me last week that he actually feels cooler riding in the 90+degree/90% humidity than at work. No surprise there I guess. Several months ago he asked if I wanted to do a "gather" for him (that is, pick up a blob of glass with the long metal tubes they use). When the door to the furnace opened (the glory hole), it felt hotter than anything I've ever experienced. I guess one can adapt to heat up to a point. He seems to be in an entirely different place with this ability. But then again, he's a young man. I'm guessing we may have some members on the forum that may have spent some time in steel mills or other places where "hot" takes on a completely different meaning. For me, riding in the heat just means more hydration/fuel and taking it a bit easier when the fatigue sets in.

Reminds me of the time I went to the foundry to have one of my sculptures cast and the head foundryman asked me if I wanted to get a closer look at the furnace. We were both just dressed normally but when he slid open the lid to the molten bronze I had to back away feeling that my face would suddenly ignite while he just stood there laughing.

jdon 07-06-10 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Heart_Rate (Post 11066069)
Heck, that's our weather for 6 months a year. I'm not saying we actually get use to it, we just learn to put up with it.

It's definitely a subtropic climate here and as others have stated, you just learn to leave earlier and get back before the sun starts beating down.

H.R.

Actually, you DO get used to it. The human body acclimatizes to conditions such as heat, humidity, cold, altitude.

bradtx 07-06-10 08:11 AM

Sculptor7, Having lived in Connecticut I know how these high temps effect y'all. The reverse is true when we have an unusually cold winter.

Best advice I ever recieved was from a friend who's a nurse and she said to have a good drink every 20 minutes whether you think you need it or not.

Brad

chipcom 07-06-10 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 11065010)
Do I look Hot?

not really....but perhaps if we gave you a nice makeover...

Heart_Rate 07-06-10 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by jdon (Post 11066517)
Actually, you DO get used to it. The human body acclimatizes to conditions such as heat, humidity, cold, altitude.

I'm not sure I agree with that completely. I use to think the same thing and having lived here for 53 years I can honestly say I'm not use to it anymore.

Perhaps it's because I'm older but the heat bothers me more than it use too. I'm still outside as much as always but now it seems to be more bothersome.

I have a 100 mile ride coming up this Saturday beginning at 07:30. That means we won't finish until around 1:30 to 2:00. At that time the heat factor will probably be around 105 degrees with the humidity so thick you can cut it with a knife.

H.R.