Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Recumbent (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Anyone recently buy a new Lightning? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1288050)

bowhun2r 01-30-24 04:51 AM

Anyone recently buy a new Lightning?

Hi folks,

I'm not on FB so I can't post on the Lightning FB page. Wanted to see if anyone recently purchased a new bike from Tim at Lightning bikes. I currently have a Phantom and my current ride is a P-38 with upgrades. Last June I put in an order for my dream bike an R-84 with upgrades. Throughout the summer Tim kept me up to date on the build. He did mention he had equipment issues as well as employee issues. I was not that concerned since I knew my bike would likely not be built before the end of the riding season where I live.

I've met Tim at a conference and purchased two new bikes (the ones mentioned above) directly from him in the past. However, it's nearly February and my R-84 is not built and the communications with him are not exactly timely. My bike is paid in full and it's a significant amount (at least to me). When I ask how it's progressing I keep getting either the suppliers are behind and the most recent email was a picture of the carbon fiber frame that honestly looked half baked. I want to believe everything is ok... but that voice in my head is starting to push doubts that it may never materialize. In which case I'll have to go through the pain to try and recoup my payment (really do not want to go that route...would rather just have my bike).

Thus my post... has anyone recently within the past 8-10 months purchased a new Lightning bike?

Thanks,

BlazingPedals 01-30-24 09:45 AM

I'm not a Lightning owner, but it looks like the Lightning Owner's Lounge over at BentRiderOnline is somewhat active. No mention there of any problems. BROL is a free sign-up; so you might go there and ask.

bowhun2r 01-30-24 10:16 AM

Thank you sir. I'm already a member and should have remembered that forum! On it right now.

solman06 05-07-24 06:52 AM

New R-84

I purchased a R-84 back in September of 23. Just recieved it about a week ago. Took a while but it finally came and had good communications with Tim throughout the build.

bowhun2r 05-07-24 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by solman06 (Post 23233709)
I purchased a R-84 back in September of 23. Just recieved it about a week ago. Took a while but it finally came and had good communications with Tim throughout the build.

Thank you for getting back with me. I also finally received my R-84 (9 months later) but had to send it back. I have a P-38 in the large size and fits me perfectly. I also ordered the same size for the R-84. But it’s quite larger than the P-38. The boom is all the way in the frame and my leg is not in the right position plus with the boom at that position caused crank arm strike with even the slightest turn of the front wheel. Tim said he will cut the frame down and it might be due to his equipment needing recalibrated. He told me early last summer he had equipment failure and I’m thinking the tolerances are not in spec. At least when my bike was built. Cause a large frame on my P-38 should be very close to an R-84 large frame. Now again I’m waiting on delivery.