Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Difference A Tire Makes (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1206773)

Roadies_Rok 07-06-20 03:50 PM

The Difference A Tire Makes
 
I've been riding and enjoying my Litespeed Arenberg for about 2 months now and have always had in the back of my head getting different tires once I got enough mileage on or wore out the Michelin Pro4 Service Course 700 x 23 tires and sooner came rather than later on Sunday. I was pumping the tires to go for a ride and I noticed bulges in the sidewalls and that the latex was shreding off the sidewalls (the tires have skinwalls) and right then and there I figured it was time to get new tires on the bike before i blew one out carving a turn.

I knew which tires I want to use, the Continental Ultra Sport II in size 700 x 25 and I went out today and bought a set. I actually got the Ultra Sport III (slightly different tread pattern) and put them on my bike and went out for a test ride and OMG what a difference!! Using my go to pressure calculator Bicycle tire pressure calculator I was able to lower the pressure about 10 lbs in each tire and oh man what a difference a tire can make! Anyone who has seen my posts knows what a fan boy I am for Ti bikes well the Ti bike with the wider tires/lower pressure I thought I had gone to heaven. I can't want to get out and hammer tomorrow.

Bah Humbug 07-06-20 03:55 PM

Wait until you try an actual nice tire. ;)

Iride01 07-06-20 04:08 PM

Can you tell us what the

oh man what a difference a tire can make!
means? Was this strictly concerning ride comfort or was it a difference in perceived or actual performance?

I guess my crusty old butt doesn't care much whether a ride is harsh or not. I like it when a tire lets my legs feel like they haven't done a bit of work and have more energy left in them at mile 50 and beyond.

Roadies_Rok 07-06-20 05:16 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21572929)
Wait until you try an actual nice tire. ;)

I'm just asking for my information but what you you mean when you say a "nice tire"? The tires I bought meet my needs. I no longer race so I no longer feel the need to sacrifice comfort for speed or performance and the Ultra Sport III is a nice tire and meets my needs especially in the price department.

rubiksoval 07-06-20 05:21 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21572929)
Wait until you try an actual nice tire. ;)

My thought as well.

Roadies_Rok 07-06-20 05:23 PM


Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 21572949)
Can you tell us what the means? Was this strictly concerning ride comfort or was it a difference in perceived or actual performance?

I guess my crusty old butt doesn't care much whether a ride is harsh or not. I like it when a tire lets my legs feel like they haven't done a bit of work and have more energy left in them at mile 50 and beyond.

For the sake of this comment I was referring primarily to ride comfort. The Michelin Pro race 4 Service Course tire that came on my bike when I bought it is/was a full on racing tire and placed speed and performance over comfort. The Continental Ultra Sport III tires I just bought and put on my bike today are a general purpose tire placing a higher priority on comfort plus they are wider, 700 x 25 versus 700 x 23 and therefore by default more comfortable. As far as performance I can't speak to that at the moment since the short ride I took today was just to the end of the road to see of all was working. I haven't had the chance to push the tires but I intend to do that tomorrow on my ride. Definitely more comfortable and we will see as to the performance of the tire.

HTupolev 07-06-20 05:32 PM


Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok (Post 21573084)
For the sake of this comment I was referring primarily to ride comfort. The Michelin Pro race 4 Service Course tire that came on my bike when I bought it is/was a full on racing tire and placed speed and performance over comfort. The Continental Ultra Sport III tires I just bought and put on my bike today are a general purpose tire placing a higher priority on comfort plus they are wider, 700 x 25 versus 700 x 23 and therefore by default more comfortable. As far as performance I can't speak to that at the moment since the short ride I took today was just to the end of the road to see of all was working. I haven't had the chance to push the tires but I intend to do that tomorrow on my ride. Definitely more comfortable and we will see as to the performance of the tire.

On tires meant for paved road use, performance and comfort are not in opposition to each other. If anything, high-performance tires tend to provide a smoother ride than lower-performance tires. And, if you pump your tires stiff enough that your body gets uncomfortably vibrated by the ride, this tends to be slower than if you pump them lower so that the ride is smooth: the vibration is being stolen from your forward motion.

If your new tires provide a smoother ride, it's probably mostly because you're pumping them squishier.

Tacoenthusiast 07-06-20 06:01 PM

Yeah lol



The tires you bought are actually more like the junky ones bike makers put on stock bikes

This thread is like that old lady that gave the olive garden a glowing review as if it were actually fine dining

Sad

genejockey 07-06-20 06:04 PM

I recently started experimenting with tire pressures and widths, and while I don't know if there's a performance gain from using wider tires and/or lower pressures, I have not seen a performance penalty. And I've found that I don't waste time or thought trying to find the smoothest part of the road, or avoid every single bump, plus I feel more confident on bumpy downhill segments.

Germanrazor 07-06-20 07:19 PM

Not the most refined tire they make by any means but remember this, if it works for you, then ride it. You are the ultimate end user and not us. Hopefully many happy miles.

Roadies_Rok 07-07-20 06:14 AM

Germanrazor I have one thing to say to you. You are da MAN!!!

Roadies_Rok 07-07-20 06:25 AM

Sadly, I see we have some "Freds" in this group. posers, pretenders, and wannabees who know little about bikes and the only thing they have going for them are big wallets so they can buy whatever they want regardless of whether it is what they need. These "Freds" are the ones who put a $50 in their jersey pocket on a group ride in case they flat so they can pay someone who actually knows what they are doing to fix their bike for them. Sad but true.

Now to the facts. I went out for 20 miles today and hammered my bike. The new "junky" tires I put on have a very smooth, comfortable, and complaint ride which hugs the road and grips well and believe me I CARVED several corners on my morning ride and my bike stayed solid under me. My average speed for this one ride is up by 2 mph and I realize part of that is due to the fact that I was hammering but I am looking to see a continuing upward trend in my average speed and that is the most important number to be tracking.

Basically these tires do all I need them to. I am on a budget but that doesn't mean that I don't know what nice things are because I most definitely do. I can't see paying $80 per tire for Continental 6000's when I don't ride at that level and there was a time when I did ride at that level and only "Freds" rode clinchers. The real deal rode tubulars. Plus if I cut an $80 tire I am out $80 but if I cut a $20 tire I don't feel as bad. Bottom line as one Man who posted here put it "if it works for you, then ride it. You are the ultimate end user and not us." To that I say thank you for your wisdom.

phrantic09 07-07-20 06:36 AM


Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok (Post 21573820)
Sadly, I see we have some "Freds" in this group. posers, pretenders, and wannabees who know little about bikes and the only thing they have going for them are big wallets so they can buy whatever they want regardless of whether it is what they need. These "Freds" are the ones who put a $50 in their jersey pocket on a group ride in case they flat so they can pay someone who actually knows what they are doing to fix their bike for them. Sad but true.

Now to the facts. I went out for 20 miles today and hammered my bike. The new "junky" tires I put on have a very smooth, comfortable, and complaint ride which hugs the road and grips well and believe me I CARVED several corners on my morning ride and my bike stayed solid under me. My average speed for this one ride is up by 2 mph and I realize part of that is due to the fact that I was hammering but I am looking to see a continuing upward trend in my average speed and that is the most important number to be tracking.

Basically these tires do all I need them to. I am on a budget but that doesn't mean that I don't know what nice things are because I most definitely do. I can't see paying $80 per tire for Continental 6000's when I don't ride at that level and there was a time when I did ride at that level and only "Freds" rode clinchers. The real deal rode tubulars. Plus if I cut an $80 tire I am out $80 but if I cut a $20 tire I don't feel as bad. Bottom line as one Man who posted here put it "if it works for you, then ride it. You are the ultimate end user and not us." To that I say thank you for your wisdom.

Way to be a nob and call everyone offering an opinion a Fred. Perhaps you should look in the mirror there bud.

znomit 07-07-20 07:06 AM

I love reading posts from the real deal. Please post more about carving on your titanium road bike that you hammer so hard you wore the tyre sidewalls out in two months. It's inspiring.

eduskator 07-07-20 07:21 AM


Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok (Post 21573820)
Sadly, I see we have some "Freds" in this group. posers, pretenders, and wannabees who know little about bikes and the only thing they have going for them are big wallets so they can buy whatever they want regardless of whether it is what they need. These "Freds" are the ones who put a $50 in their jersey pocket on a group ride in case they flat so they can pay someone who actually knows what they are doing to fix their bike for them. Sad but true.

Now to the facts. I went out for 20 miles today and hammered my bike. The new "junky" tires I put on have a very smooth, comfortable, and complaint ride which hugs the road and grips well and believe me I CARVED several corners on my morning ride and my bike stayed solid under me. My average speed for this one ride is up by 2 mph and I realize part of that is due to the fact that I was hammering but I am looking to see a continuing upward trend in my average speed and that is the most important number to be tracking.

Basically these tires do all I need them to. I am on a budget but that doesn't mean that I don't know what nice things are because I most definitely do. I can't see paying $80 per tire for Continental 6000's when I don't ride at that level and there was a time when I did ride at that level and only "Freds" rode clinchers. The real deal rode tubulars. Plus if I cut an $80 tire I am out $80 but if I cut a $20 tire I don't feel as bad. Bottom line as one Man who posted here put it "if it works for you, then ride it. You are the ultimate end user and not us." To that I say thank you for your wisdom.

Wait, some people do this? :lol:

On another topic, I always find it funny how some forum members here act like they are experts who know everything. If OP said he liked his new tires, then why the bashing? Of course they are not expensive tires nor THE best tire out there, but if he likes them, what's the problem?

ririder 07-07-20 07:32 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21573833)
Way to be a nob and call everyone offering an opinion a Fred. Perhaps you should look in the mirror there bud.

The nobs are the ones belittling the OP for buying tires that meet his needs. They weren't offering opinions,"Wait until you try an actual nice tire" and "My thought as well" are backhanded opinions at best. Is this a helpful comment? "Yeah lol
The tires you bought are actually more like the junky ones bike makers put on stock bikes
This thread is like that old lady that gave the olive garden a glowing review as if it were actually fine dining
Sad" It's ******bag comment at best.

Germanrazor 07-07-20 07:36 AM

I wish most of the tires for roadies were in the $25 range obviously. However, its like any sport, there is a wide cross-section of price.

To the OP, don’t worry what others here say and if they flame you. I say ride what works and you get best results from. I wish Conti GP 5000’s were $25 a piece for sure. I have found them approaching down to $40 a piece so not so awful far off.........I can waste $15 in the blink of an eye.....lol

The reason I “liked” Bah Humbug’s post was simply that, if you like that tire I am betting a tire like a GP 5000 may even further enhance the ride and your liking. I can definitely tell a difference in a stock cheap tire on a new bike as compared to one of my choice.

I just like riding and tires unfortunately are needed......bwaaaa ha ha

phrantic09 07-07-20 07:38 AM


Originally Posted by ririder (Post 21573914)
The nobs are the ones belittling the OP for buying tires that meet his needs. They weren't offering opinions,"Wait until you try an actual nice tire" and "My thought as well" are backhanded opinions at best. Is this a helpful comment? "Yeah lol
The tires you bought are actually more like the junky ones bike makers put on stock bikes
This thread is like that old lady that gave the olive garden a glowing review as if it were actually fine dining
Sad" It's ******bag comment at best.


I'm curious... do you disagree with the comment: "The tires you bought are actually more like the junky ones bike makers put on stock bikes"

I agree, if the OP thinks Ultra Sports ride nice, wait until riding a nice tire of the same size and pressure.

Roadies_Rok 07-07-20 08:09 AM


Originally Posted by znomit (Post 21573871)
I love reading posts from the real deal. Please post more about carving on your titanium road bike that you hammer so hard you wore the tyre sidewalls out in two months. It's inspiring.

znomit Trust me when I tell you that I did not wear the sidewalls out on those tires in 2 months. Maybe a few years back that was a really possibility but not today. The Michelin Pro Race Service Course tire is an old tire as in not made any more and not having been made in years. I have a feeling the Man I bought my bike from found them or maybe had them lying around and put them on the bike so he could sell it. Plus the tires may not have been properly cared for when stored either on or off the bike which accelerated the aging. Back in the day when tubulars were the way to go if you raced people used to brush liquid latex onto the sidewalls to extend the life of the tubulars.

If you truly want to hear some stories let's get onto a Zoom chat and I'll dish the news to you. Have you met Eddie Merckx, or Bjarne Riss, or Sr. GS Mengoni, or Gibby Hatton, or George Hinicapie, or Fast Freddy Rodriguez? I have meet all of them and more. Let's get onto a Zoom chat and I'll give you a schooling. Have a great day.

Tacoenthusiast 07-07-20 08:25 AM


Originally Posted by ririder (Post 21573914)
The nobs are the ones belittling the OP for buying tires that meet his needs. They weren't offering opinions,"Wait until you try an actual nice tire" and "My thought as well" are backhanded opinions at best. Is this a helpful comment? "Yeah lol
The tires you bought are actually more like the junky ones bike makers put on stock bikes
This thread is like that old lady that gave the olive garden a glowing review as if it were actually fine dining
Sad" It's ******bag comment at best.


It's actually exactly correct, if you have never tried a good tire is your opinion on how good a low end tire valid?

Just because you like the olive garden that doesn't mean it's a Michelin star restaurant, it just means you have not experienced much yet

Are we supposed to tell the op his cheap tires are just as good as nice tires?

ririder 07-07-20 08:39 AM


Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast (Post 21574011)
It's actually exactly correct, if you have never tried a good tire is your opinion on how good a low end tire valid?

Just because you like the olive garden that doesn't mean it's a Michelin star restaurant, it just means you have not experienced much yet

Are we supposed to tell the op his cheap tires are just as good as nice tires?

It reeks of elitism. Especially your comment.

rubiksoval 07-07-20 09:01 AM


Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok (Post 21573820)
I can't see paying $80 per tire for Continental 6000's when I don't ride at that level and there was a time when I did ride at that level and only "Freds" rode clinchers. The real deal rode tubulars. Plus if I cut an $80 tire I am out $80 but if I cut a $20 tire I don't feel as bad. .


Hardly anyone trains on tubulars, certainly not "the real deal", whatever you think that is.

You pay 20 dollars for a "not great" tire when you could have paid $30 bucks for a "significantly better tire".

But however you want to justify it.

rubiksoval 07-07-20 09:03 AM


Originally Posted by eduskator (Post 21573892)

On another topic, I always find it funny how some forum members here act like they are experts who know everything. If OP said he liked his new tires, then why the bashing? Of course they are not expensive tires nor THE best tire out there, but if he likes them, what's the problem?


I always find it funny when people post threads about topics they clearly know little about and then want to argue when people point out that they don't know what they're talking about.

eduskator 07-07-20 09:06 AM


Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 21574101)
I always find it funny when people post threads about topics they clearly know little about and then want to argue when people point out that they don't know what they're talking about.

He does not care about your opinion or argument on whatever rubber is the best of the industry, he said he was happy with the damn new tires, and wanted to share it with us. Let the man be happy and share is joy.

Bah Humbug 07-07-20 09:06 AM


Originally Posted by ririder (Post 21574048)
It reeks of elitism. Especially your comment.

ďDeath of the authorĒ has gone too far. It was tongue in cheek; thatís why I put the wink after it. If I post about how awesome my R2 is and someone tells me to wait until I can try an R5, well, I already wish I could. But literally, Ultra Sports are OEM-level tires on basic road bikes.

OP, enjoy your damn tires, but also donít assume the worst in everyone. And thatís me saying that.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.