Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fitting Your Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Bike Fit Angles on Photo (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1259876)

FL_Gator 10-08-22 07:29 PM

Bike Fit Angles on Photo

Can anyone direct me to an app or website that will allow me to measure my fit angles over a picture of myself on the my bike? Doesn’t even need to be bike specific, I just can’t find an easy way to measure my angles off of a photo.
I see the various bike fit apps you have to pay for, I’m just looking for some low tech angle maker.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

oldbobcat 10-08-22 11:34 PM

You're making it too difficult. Print the photo, draw the angles with a pencil and a straightedge, and measure the angles with a protractor.

FL_Gator 10-09-22 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=You're making it too difficult. Print the photo, draw the angles with a pencil and a straightedge, and measure the angles with a protractor.[/QUOTE]

I’m an architect and could certainly do it this way but when trying to tweak a fit with an iterative process it seems like there are more efficient options. Every fit video on YoutTube shows digital angles drawn on a photo, just wondering what they are using.
For that matter I suppose I could use AutoCAD, if needed.

ucdcrush 10-10-22 09:33 AM

Use Kinovea. It's free, well featured, and has a "bike fit" overlay that you can use to get all the angles you want. You can load pictures or videos, and videos you can step through at various speeds or frame by frame. It's awesome.

Iride01 10-10-22 01:53 PM

Don't get all bummed out if the formulas and other calculation of the angles don't quite work for you. I'd just consider them a starting place. If you have the perfect proportions that those formulas were based on then you might get a great fit the first time. But if not, don't be scared to change something.

Your particular ache or annoyance will be a clue as to what should be changed.

Polaris OBark 10-10-22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ucdcrush (Post 22674131)
Use Kinovea. It's free, well featured, and has a "bike fit" overlay that you can use to get all the angles you want. You can load pictures or videos, and videos you can step through at various speeds or frame by frame. It's awesome.

I wish they had an Apple version.

What I did at the time was to take a video, and then scroll through to find max and min angles (eg: for the knee), took a screenshot, and imported them into Apple's Keynote, overlayed lines, and obtained the intersection angles. A bit clunky, but it worked.

Kinovea sounds like a far better option if you have Windows on hand.

Carbonfiberboy 10-10-22 07:47 PM

MyVeloFit is probably the best bike fitting app out there. Here's a review: https://www.triathlete.com/gear/bike...lo-fit-review/

FL_Gator 10-12-22 09:42 PM

Thanks everyone, Kinovea does look like a great option but I am also an apple user so I can’t access it. I did import my photo into Autocad and it worked great but I also found MyVeloFit this week (right before the post above) and I might give it a try for fun. Thanks all for the help!

PeteHski 10-15-22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 22674733)
MyVeloFit is probably the best bike fitting app out there. Here's a review: https://www.triathlete.com/gear/bike...lo-fit-review/

+1
I found it excellent and cheap enough not to worry about the cost. I used it to dial in the fit on my new Canyon last winter and was pretty impressed with the results. They've added new features since, so I may give it another go as I took the annual subscription.

FL_Gator 10-17-22 07:03 PM

Update: I’ve been using MyVeloFit and it’s been great. It doesn’t get detailed into the why of each adjustment etc but it tells you exactly what to do and got my to my most comfortable fit in two days… even after two sessions with a professional fitter locally. For the price, I recommend it.

PeteHski 10-18-22 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by FL_Gator (Post 22682885)
Update: I’ve been using MyVeloFit and it’s been great. It doesn’t get detailed into the why of each adjustment etc but it tells you exactly what to do and got my to my most comfortable fit in two days… even after two sessions with a professional fitter locally. For the price, I recommend it.

Glad you found it useful. There are a few reasons why I really like MyVeloFit:-

1. I think their underlying fit ideology is pretty sound for most people. For example they are not overly aggressive in their road fits.
2. Their video analysis is pretty solid and repeatable.
3. Their software is easy to use
4. It's a pretty reasonable cost.

I'm going to use it again over the winter to check my road bike fit as I've tweaked it very slightly since last year. I also noticed they made some fairly major updates recently, so I'm curious to see if they have made further refinements.