Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cycling glasses with some modern helmets: over straps or under straps? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232866)

AndreyT 06-16-21 07:03 PM

Cycling glasses with some modern helmets: over straps or under straps?

Hello

I'm used to wearing my Oakley RadarPath glasses over the helmet straps, which is traditionally considered the right way to do it. That's how I used to wear them with my previous helmet - Specialized S3 (size M).

Now I got myself a Specialized Prevail II MIPS (size L, since M felt a bit too tight even at max setting) and I see that the front strap attachment points stand notably further away from the sides of my head with this helmet. For this reason the gaps between the front straps and my head on both sides are pretty wide (~1.5 cm). When I attempt to put my cycling glasses over the straps, I end up having to force the glasses' temples to squeeze the front straps towards my head. I can feel how the straps fight the glasses, especially when I put some tension into the strap by lowering my jaw.

Is this how it is supposed to be? Or am I supposed to wear my glasses under the straps with this helmet?

GlennR 06-16-21 07:08 PM

Over straps.... you have to look PRO.

Bmach 06-16-21 07:38 PM

I prefer to wear mine under the straps. Don’t care what others think.

drlogik 06-16-21 07:49 PM

+1 Under straps, I don't care either. I was never one to follow the "Rules" anyway.

shelbyfv 06-16-21 07:50 PM

Design failure on the part of Specialized. Can you return it? ;)

Koyote 06-16-21 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by AndreyT (Post 22105430)
When I attempt to put my cycling glasses over the straps, I end up having to force the glasses' temples to squeeze the front straps towards my head. I can feel how the straps fight the glasses, especially when I put some tension into the strap by lowering my jaw.

Is this how it is supposed to be? Or am I supposed to wear my glasses under the straps with this helmet?

You are supposed to wear the sunglasses over your eyes. Beyond that, who cares?

CAT7RDR 06-16-21 08:15 PM

I see a lot of cyclists not wearing helmets lately but they do wear sunglasses.

tempocyclist 06-16-21 11:15 PM

Over, under, it doesn't matter. As you've found out, it sometimes comes down to the design of the helmet.

AdkMtnMonster 06-16-21 11:29 PM

Socks are traditionally worn inside one’s shoes, cycling shorts are traditionally worn with the chamois on the inside, and helmet straps are routed under the bows of a real cyclist’s eyewear. But, it’s 2021, and some goons insist on wearing socks with sandals, some men own cats, and, somehow, the whole Harry Potter craze really happened. All because of disc brakes.

JohnDThompson 06-17-21 06:34 AM

Under the straps. Otherwise, I need to remove my glasses in order to take off the helmet.

pdlamb 06-17-21 06:36 AM

As a practical matter, I've had to get a helmet off my head as quickly as possible because a stinging insect flew into the vent (more than once); and I'm blind without glasses. Don't want to get stung, want to be able to see to continue riding safely ... I'll keep wearing my helmet over my glasses.

As for the pro look, well, nobody looking at me has made that mistake.

ridelikeaturtle 06-17-21 06:41 AM

Straps over glasses can cause an annoying whistle / wind noise; also it may keep you from securing the straps sufficiently tight making the helmet useless in a crash.

YMMV

Milton Keynes 06-17-21 06:41 AM

I wear glasses, so I wear them under the straps. I don't want to take a tumble and risk my glasses flying off to parts unknown, leaving me essentially blind. That's also why I wear a strap on my glasses while riding, so if they do come off they will hopefully just dangle around my neck.

MrWasabi 06-17-21 07:48 AM

I’m an under strapper.

billridesbikes 06-17-21 07:54 AM

Over straps. And it’s got nothing to do with looking pro. I think it’s the better way. Adjust the straps so the helmet fits and is positioned properly then put your glasses on so you’re wearing the helmet as intended by its design without extra slack or being stretched around the glasses arms, or having a gap with your head in places. Why take the chance that you’ve inadvertently compromised the ability of it to stay in place durning a crash.

mstateglfr 06-17-21 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by AndreyT (Post 22105430)
I'm used to wearing my Oakley RadarPath glasses over the helmet straps, which is traditionally considered the right way to do it. That's how I used to wear them with my previous helmet - Specialized S3 (size M).
Now I got myself a Specialized Prevail II MIPS (size L, since M felt a bit too tight even at max setting) and I see that the front strap attachment points stand notably further away from the sides of my head with this helmet. For this reason the gaps between the front straps and my head on both sides are pretty wide (~1.5 cm). When I attempt to put my cycling glasses over the straps, I end up having to force the glasses' temples to squeeze the front straps towards my head. I can feel how the straps fight the glasses, especially when I put some tension into the strap by lowering my jaw.

The obvious and only answer to this is- return the helmet. Get a different helmet, one that doesnt have the goofy strap anchors located out from the temple on the underside of the helmet.

That anchor design is made by the devil and you need to say...
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1e481eae85.gif

kahn 06-17-21 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR (Post 22105529)
I see a lot of cyclists not wearing helmets lately but they do wear sunglasses.

That's because they could never decide if the glasses went over or under the straps and decided to eliminate the straps and helmet question entirely.

Squeeze 06-17-21 09:48 AM

I cut the straps off my helmet. It's more comfortable that way, doesn't interfere with my prescription sunglasses, and I don't get sweat caked in the chin strap.

Plus, I like to tip my helmet to the side at a jaunty angle like a WWII fighter pilot.

kahn 06-17-21 09:48 AM

One more rule I had never heard of. Mine fit, with some weaving under the straps as I put them on after the helmet. So thankful that the weather has warmed and the covid mask does not cause fogging. The mask is now generally around my neck in case I make a stop that might require a mask.

nomadmax 06-17-21 09:53 AM

Personally, I wear my glasses over the helmet straps. That allows the straps to be properly adjusted and doesn't create a pinch point on the temples (with the arms of the glasses) if I hit the deck with my head and the straps tighten up because of helmet movement. This is why many pros wear them over the helmet straps. That doesn't make me or them right, it's just a reason.

Iride01 06-17-21 10:22 AM

I sometimes have them under, sometimes over. Maybe it depends on whether I had the helmet on and buckled up first. As well as whether my sweat vac is pulled over the tips of my ears to help with sun

Don't know, don't really care.

locolobo13 06-17-21 10:59 AM

Yes. I wear them under and/or over the straps. Sometimes both at once.

Agree with Koyote. They work better over the eyes.

OBoile 06-17-21 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bmach (Post 22105472)
I prefer to wear mine under the straps. Don’t care what others think.

I wear under too. My sunglasses are prescription, so I basically don't take them off. If the straps were underneath, my glasses would likely be flying off my head, and possibly getting scratched, on every ride at the coffee stop.

Bmach 06-17-21 12:35 PM

I would love to see a scientific study that proves wearing glasses under the straps of a helmet means that the helmet straps are not properly adjusted ant will prevent the helmet from protecting you.