Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   USB Cable Question (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1290049)

Tandem Tom 03-20-24 06:21 AM

USB Cable Question

I think I know the answer but just want to make sure.
We have a new Garmin Edge Explore 2 that used type"C" usb plug. Will a double ended "C" encounter and problem when I attach it to my android phone? The reason I ask is I was using a little adaptor junction box with a USB C cord and it only worked in one direction.
Thanks

njkayaker 03-20-24 07:43 AM

Not sure what the “little adaptor junction box” is.

USB C cables are bidirectional. (They have to be because they don’t plug in one direction.)

https://www.viewsonic.com/library/te...he-difference/

(With older USB cables, you needed an OTG cable to plug your Garmin into a phone.)

Iride01 03-20-24 08:04 AM

I usually just try it and see what happens. I've not had a bad thing result from willy nilly connecting cables to devices other than it doesn't do what I wanted it to do.

Is the little box on the cable a ferrite core? Those are usually cylindrical though.

If it blows up please let us know. <grin>

dmark 03-20-24 01:09 PM

Adapters do not always work; I had a problem with adapting an endoscope usb-a to micro. I bought a different adapter and all OK.

Tandem Tom 03-21-24 06:58 AM

This is the item
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7fc31b8122.jpg

Barry2 03-21-24 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom (Post 23189761)
I think I know the answer but just want to make sure.
We have a new Garmin Edge Explore 2 that used type"C" usb plug. Will a double ended "C" encounter and problem when I attach it to my android phone? The reason I ask is I was using a little adaptor junction box with a USB C cord and it only worked in one direction.
Thanks

Why are you attempting to connect your Garmin Edge to your Android phone ?

Barry

Did some research and learnt something new, I’m an iPhone user so this was news to me.

Some Android phones support USB on-the-go (OTG).
This allows a compatible Android phone to be used as a power bank & charge other usb devices.
Two issues… it charges those devices slowly…… you are required to use an OTG adaptor.
Yes, the OTG adaptor has an input and output side, so one way.

Tandem Tom 03-21-24 10:26 AM

It allows me to download routes/courses to the Garmin.

Steve B. 03-21-24 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom (Post 23191044)
It allows me to download routes/courses to the Garmin.

Backwards method to do that. If you have a smartphone (Android or iPhone) download and install the Garmin Connect Mobile app. BT pair the Explore to the phone and the GCM app. Create an account with Connect, on the app and on the Connect website. You can then create routes on the Connect website or on the app, save and then send to the Explore. It does not require a cable connection. You can as well create a link from RideWithGPS, Kamoots or Strava, create routes on those apps, and pick them up on the Explore when there's a WiFi connection. You can check, but there might be a Trailforks app resident on the Explore that allows you to download directly any routes created on that app, which is the best for mt. bike trails.

njkayaker 03-21-24 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Barry2 (Post 23190863)
Why are you attempting to connect your Garmin Edge to your Android phone ?

Barry

Did some research and learnt something new, I’m an iPhone user so this was news to me.

Some Android phones support USB on-the-go (OTG).
This allows a compatible Android phone to be used as a power bank & charge other usb devices.
Two issues… it charges those devices slowly…… you are required to use an OTG adaptor.
Yes, the OTG adaptor has an input and output side, so one way.

It appears an OTG adapter isn’t applicable to USB C (since a USB C cable is symmetric).

The phone has to support OTG.

njkayaker 03-21-24 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom (Post 23190823)

You should provide the model number. No one is going to be able to tell much about it from a picture.

What phone are you using?

AirPhantomPhoto 03-21-24 03:17 PM

If its a newer model Samsung then do as Steve said, & most current samsungs are OTH compa. I've currently have the galaxy s20 & the garmin explorer 2.
You do need the app he said, I can also do it via my laptop using ridewithgps website, its how I've loaded last years events rides to both my 20 & explor2.

AirPhantomPhoto 03-21-24 03:18 PM

Oh, also its how I created some local rides using ridewithgps site then loading them to both devices. Makes it so easier to create on the bigger screen laptop (true laptop not a chromebook or tablet) for these old eyes.

Yan 03-21-24 05:48 PM

I have an Edge Explore 2 and it works fine with generic double ended USB-C cables. In fact I threw away the factory Garmin cable. Nobody wants USB-A anymore.

znomit 03-22-24 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Yan (Post 23191474)
Nobody wants USB-A anymore.

A lot of my smart USB-C chargers won't charge my dumb devices. USB-A chargers aren't smart enough to know that that cheap flashlight or battery pack isn't properly USB-C compliant.

Also the USB-C specs are a nightmare of different speed and power transfer rates.

Tourist in MSN 03-22-24 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Yan (Post 23191474)
... Nobody wants USB-A anymore.

I do, my dynohub powered USB charger, the pass through cache battery, my USB powered NiMH AA/AAA charger, camera battery charger, and phone, they are all USB A, Mini USB or Micro USB.

My laptop is the only USB C device I have, it stays home when I bike tour. That said, I bought a USB-C charger to use for non-bike travel with my new laptop that uses a USB C cable and C charger for power supply. And my new travel charger had the wrong voltage rating for the USB C power supply jack, won't power the laptop, but it will charge it at an exceptionally slow rate.