Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

jaxgtr 03-11-24 06:31 PM

I hate when the boss is on vacation, I have to attend all her meetings and that just sucks. I ended up doing 33.7 miles and 3430 ft on Rouvy after a loss day of actual work.

rsbob 03-11-24 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23181048)
Hopefully A for you...my week off is for yet another illness.:mad: After the snow from last week, it's been really nice weather here...even made it to 60 one day. The last cold I had, I just rode through it and was fine...this one was giving me the vibes that it was going to turn into a chest thing if I did that. I think I'm rounding the corner on it, but now have the joys of poor sleep because I'm not expending any extra energy. Anyway, that's all for my cry session.:lol:

That really sucks. Colds are bad, but losing fitness is worse. Letís hope it clears up quickly - and donít go out too soon.

jaxgtr 03-11-24 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23180639)
Got in a few dozen of winter # 7 miles on the now 2x12 Gen III Domane. Not sure which I favor more, the Gen IV or the now 2x12 Gen III... might have to do something about the Gen IV to make it more betteriers.

Short & sweet for the 2x12 change; Was collecting parts for a while, then the brake issue happened. Instead of just replacing the faulty brake caliper, I reasoned the mission creep of parts change out solely based on the need to bleed the brakes. Figured this was an opportune time to move forward with the 2x12... it was going to happen sooner or later. also it needed new bar tape.

What setup do you have on your Gen 4?

Sierra_rider 03-11-24 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23181728)
That really sucks. Colds are bad, but losing fitness is worse. Letís hope it clears up quickly - and donít go out too soon.

I might give the trainer a go tomorrow. It's crappy weather tomorrow, so it's not like I'd miss an outdoor ride anyway...regardless of weather, it's really easy to "bail out" from a virtual ride if it ain't goin' well.

The fitness part of the deal is frustrating me right now. My first "A" event of the year is coming up in 5-6 weeks. It's a 70ish mile XC mtb race, I need to keep doing at least a weekly long ride. Preferably, I'd like to do a couple of those long rides on the XC bike. I picked it up new for this season...while I think I have the fit pretty dialed in on it, I've yet to ride this particular bike for more than a couple hours.

jaxgtr 03-11-24 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23181770)
I might give the trainer a go tomorrow. It's crappy weather tomorrow, so it's not like I'd miss an outdoor ride anyway...regardless of weather, it's really easy to "bail out" from a virtual ride if it ain't goin' well.

The fitness part of the deal is frustrating me right now. My first "A" event of the year is coming up in 5-6 weeks. It's a 70ish mile XC mtb race, I need to keep doing at least a weekly long ride. Preferably, I'd like to do a couple of those long rides on the XC bike. I picked it up new for this season...while I think I have the fit pretty dialed in on it, I've yet to ride this particular bike for more than a couple hours.

I so wanted to bail on my rouvy ride today, my legs were just not feeling it, but I kept plodding along and finally finished. Took me far longer to finish than I wanted though. The first 2.75 miles was 1900 ft of altitude gain out of the total 3.4K, which I was not a fan of.

Sierra_rider 03-11-24 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23181773)
I so wanted to bail on my rouvy ride today, my legs were just not feeling it, but I kept plodding along and finally finished. Took me far longer to finish than I wanted though. The first 2.75 miles was 1900 ft of altitude gain out of the total 3.4K, which I was not a fan of.

I like climbing in real life, but Rouvy climbing can be a bit monotonous sometimes. I still do it, partly because it's easier to meter my power out on a steady virtual climb.

Smaug1 03-12-24 09:42 AM

I did 26.6 miles yesterday after work. It was a nice warm evening, but WINDY.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...760b8dee98.png

I too would like to get to over100 mi/week, because I joined the "5,000 miles per year" Group in Strava and that's the only way I'm going to make it. Even then, it's going to be tough, because in SE Wisconsin, we have 4 months that really take commitment to ride more than a few miles in a day. I commute all winter, whenever there's not too much snow. At least in winter there's hardly ever rain and a lot less wind than spring & fall.

Troul 03-12-24 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23181733)
What setup do you have on your Gen 4?

OEM setup. Shimano 105 R7000 50/34, HG700 11-34, 11 speed.
I'd like to make it 12 speed with 11-12-13-14-15-16-19-21-24-27-30-34

jaxgtr 03-13-24 08:20 PM

45 miles, and a new helmet mid ride I was not expecting.

rsbob 03-14-24 09:46 AM

After a week off the bike, and eating far too well, gaining 7 lbs (which is still hard to believe), 25 miles with 1,700í at a moderate pace. When done and walking around, my legs really ached. Canít believe that would happen after just a week (both things).

These skeletons are dressed up for every holiday.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6649501aa.jpeg

jaxgtr 03-14-24 06:55 PM

Did 31 miles and 1K of climbing inside today.

Sierra_rider 03-14-24 07:14 PM

Did an easy indoor ride today, first one after about a week of illness. I still have some recovery, but at least I can now ride at a mellow pace.

A virtual 9 miles and 1600' of climbing.

rsbob 03-14-24 09:23 PM

20 totally flat easy squeezy Z1 miles. After being so sore yesterday, I figured easing back into it would be smart - and was planning on doing a hilly fast group ride tomorrow until Mrs RSbob reminded me of a previous obligation.

Troul 03-15-24 06:45 PM

99 miles in the breezy 41F

jaxgtr 03-15-24 06:50 PM

I was shooting for 99 like Troul, but my legs decided 20 was all they were going to give me today. I swear I had 500 lbs weights on my feet..... So I just came home and will now watch Blazing Saddles\Young Frankenstein combo while I do some work and try again tomorrow.

Sierra_rider 03-15-24 07:03 PM

Only managed 13 miles and 1500' of climbing on my XC MTB today...I was aiming for 20mi+ and over 2500' of climbing, but bad luck got me today. I was doing a log crossing that I've done a few times before w/o incident. However, as I rolled it this time, I heard the unmistakable noise of "Pssshh-Psshh!" A 1/2" wide hole in each tire, from the knub of what was left of a branch on that log.

Luckily not sidewalls, but they were still difficult to seal. Dynaplugs wouldn't seal, I had to resort to doubling up 2 of the fat bacon strips. To add insult to injury, my high-volume mini pump is apparently due for replacement...I counted 300 strokes per a tire and I'd be surprised if I had more than 10psi in each wheel. I decided that venturing further into the loop was probably foolish, so I turned around early. Rode like a grandma the whole way back, as I was worried about burping the tires at such low pressure.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3f338fdcc2.jpg

rsbob 03-15-24 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23185510)
I was shooting for 99 like Troul, but my legs decided 20 was all they were going to give me today. I swear I had 500 lbs weights on my feet..... So I just came home and will now watch Blazing Saddles\Young Frankenstein combo while I do some work and try again tomorrow.

Two absolute classics! And so many fantastic quotes. I bet they eased the pain in a hurry. ďStay close to the candles. The staircase can be treacherous.Ē

rsbob 03-15-24 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23185520)
Only managed 13 miles and 1500' of climbing on my XC MTB today...I was aiming for 20mi+ and over 2500' of climbing, but bad luck got me today. I was doing a log crossing that I've done a few times before w/o incident. However, as I rolled it this time, I heard the unmistakable noise of "Pssshh-Psshh!" A 1/2" wide hole in each tire, from the knub of what was left of a branch on that log.

Luckily not sidewalls, but they were still difficult to seal. Dynaplugs wouldn't seal, I had to resort to doubling up 2 of the fat bacon strips. To add insult to injury, my high-volume mini pump is apparently due for replacement...I counted 300 strokes per a tire and I'd be surprised if I had more than 10psi in each wheel. I decided that venturing further into the loop was probably foolish, so I turned around early. Rode like a grandma the whole way back, as I was worried about burping the tires at such low pressure.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3f338fdcc2.jpg

Bummer indeed. Hope you go back with the proper tool and render that hazard a thing of the past.

My wife just informed me she started coming down with a cold - and this is before the warmest and sunniest weekend of the year so far, Fingers crossed I donít get it, but my nose is already stuffy.

Sierra_rider 03-15-24 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23185537)
Bummer indeed. Hope you go back with the proper tool and render that hazard a thing of the past.

My wife just informed me she started coming down with a cold - and this is before the warmest and sunniest weekend of the year so far, Fingers crossed I donít get it, but my nose is already stuffy.

I hope it's just a cold and not whatever I'm getting over. I've been sick 3 times this winter, which is a lot for me, and this one was the worst one. The COVID I got back in December felt trivial compared to this...just on today's MTB ride, it was very clear that my HR wasn't correlating at all with my usual power numbers, considerably elevated. Needless to say, I'm taking it easy...hoping I can jump back into training next week.

georges1 03-16-24 05:56 AM

Rode 10 km on my favorite local trail one of my MTBs (1995 Giant Bronco) but what a pleasant ride it was, weather was fine and the bike was a real pleasure to ride
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e49d6654_b.jpg
This afternoon probably longhaul ride , with the upgraded Giant Tourer hybrid as I don't want to risk another fall especially in rainy conditions with a road bike
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a7339715_b.jpg

50PlusCycling 03-16-24 06:54 AM

I enjoyed an early evening ride at Yoyogi Park in Tokyo. The park was mostly empty, the weather was perfect, and riding in the dark was relaxing. I managed to get in 30km, and am looking forward to a 50km ride along the Arakawa river tomorrow.

georges1 03-16-24 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by georges1 (Post 23185754)
This afternoon probably longhaul ride , with the upgraded Giant Tourer hybrid as I don't want to risk another fall especially in rainy conditions with a road bike
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a7339715_b.jpg

Rode 30km this noon , the Giant helped me to ride in a comfy position on some rough terrains with all the comfort of the XT 780T 30 speeds transmission and the Schwable Marathon tires are outstanding. The xt 780 t pedals allow fast clipping and declipping. Really a very good bike.

TomM 03-16-24 12:18 PM

Rode 67km in the country around Paris on the SteamRoller.

dogmahifi 03-16-24 12:21 PM

101 km today
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...34c26d2b4.jpeg

jaxgtr 03-16-24 01:27 PM

Got in just shy of 90 today. Buddy I was riding with got a sidewall cut, luckily I carry some shop paper towels and rubber gloves in my downtube pack, so we cleaned out the tubeless sealant, put in a tube, and a dollar bill along the cut and made our turn home just a few miles early. I always carry 3 dollars with me just in case of this situation.