Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

BigChief 01-29-18 07:19 PM

To make sure you get the right tires for these old English 3 speeds, make sure they use the modern ISO name 590mm. In fact, you may get better search results with "590mm tires".
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/590.html

nlerner 01-29-18 07:45 PM

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...hoCK8kQAvD_BwE
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...BoC8MgQAvD_BwE
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...BoCCW0QAvD_BwE
https://www.ebay.com/p/Pair-2-KENDA-...lack/929476988
https://jet.com/product/detail/0f537...RoCg60QAvD_BwE
https://www.bikesxpress.com/Tire-Dur...hoCB0oQAvD_BwE

gster 01-29-18 07:46 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20138398)
The paint schemes & trim to me seems more interesting on the Canadian models than the US. That bike looks real nice but I cant tell what model or year other than a pre 74' crank sprocket. The tires if original are early 70's. No white blaze on the rear fender but white paint accent in the HB tube. The bike looks complete.

It's a somewhat messed with 61' Superbe.
It's been poorly repainted and they guy I got it from had salvaged the Dynohub.
Still, a nice tall bike for the money.
https://threespeedmania.wordpress.co...leigh-superbe/

https://threespeedmania.wordpress.co...uperbe-update/

https://threespeedmania.wordpress.co...uperbe-update/

BigChief 01-29-18 09:17 PM

The chrome fork socks look to be in excellent shape. Since the original finish is messed up, I think this would be a great candidate for a strip down and repaint.

JohnDThompson 01-29-18 10:30 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20138692)
Speaking of three speed wheels and tires, are there any good tires out there for them? I get that they are 26 x 1&3/8", but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options. Has anybody re-laced other size rims onto the hub? Or is it best to stick with original and grin and bear the limited tire selection?

The Panaracer "Col de la Vie" 650A tire is probably the best tire available for British 3-speeds, and not too expensive (usually less than US$30/ea):

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/coldelavie.jpg

Ballenxj 01-29-18 11:12 PM


Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 20139890)
The Panaracer "Col de la Vie" 650A tire is probably the best tire available for British 3-speeds, and not too expensive (usually less than US$30/ea):

So the 650A is the same size and fits the rim?

Ballenxj 01-29-18 11:49 PM


Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 20139890)
The Panaracer "Col de la Vie" 650A tire is probably the best tire available for British 3-speeds, and not too expensive (usually less than US$30/ea):

Ah, a bit of research tells me they are one and the same as 26x1&3/8". Thanks for the lead. :thumb:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...sense-all.html
I'm still not certain what the difference between 650A and 650B is though. :foo:

julianadam 01-30-18 01:32 AM

650 A = 590 mm diameter
650 B = 584 mm diameter

Those 6 mm make no difference as far as feel goes. I'm looking for new rims for my raleigh 3 speed, but can't find any. Why hype the 650 b so much, when I am sure there are A LOT more 650 a bikes around?

gster 01-30-18 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20139786)
The chrome fork socks look to be in excellent shape. Since the original finish is messed up, I think this would be a great candidate for a strip down and repaint.

This is the same bike below.
I did a partial strip of the paint but decided to leave as is.
All bearings re-packed , new tires, pads etc.
A very smooth shifting hub on this scorcher...
Attachment 597429

nlerner 01-30-18 07:11 AM


Originally Posted by julianadam (Post 20140009)
650 A = 590 mm diameter
650 B = 584 mm diameter

Those 6 mm make no difference as far as feel goes. I'm looking for new rims for my raleigh 3 speed, but can't find any. Why hype the 650 b so much, when I am sure there are A LOT more 650 a bikes around?

In part, because the quality of the current 650b tires available is far better than what you can get for 650a. That might not make a difference for puttering around on a Raleigh Sports, but for a 200k ride, it surely does.

clubman 01-30-18 07:21 AM


Originally Posted by julianadam (Post 20140009)
650 A = 590 mm diameter
650 B = 584 mm diameter

Those 6 mm make no difference as far as feel goes. I'm looking for new rims for my raleigh 3 speed, but can't find any. Why hype the 650 b so much, when I am sure there are A LOT more 650 a bikes around?

You left out 650 C = 571 diameter :)

I agree with @nlerner that the best performance and component selection is found in the 650 B size. Does that matter on an English 3 speed is the question.

BigChief 01-30-18 08:00 AM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20140147)
You left out 650 C = 571 diameter :)

I agree with @nlerner that the best performance and component selection is found in the 650 B size. Does that matter on an English 3 speed is the question.

These upright roadsters are a different class of riding. 590s suit them well IMO

johnnyspaghetti 01-30-18 08:01 AM

This one is $20. I think I'm seeing the deluxe chain wheel I want for my newly acquired Robin Hood. This guy accepted my offer for $20 a piece. $40 for both. Very poor pictures but local & lots of good parts.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...476731746.html



https://images.craigslist.org/00a0a_...G_1200x900.jpg

nlerner 01-30-18 08:11 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20140190)
These upright roadsters are a different class of riding. 590s suit them well IMO

I agree with that sentiment, but I find the versatility of these frames really interesting, too. For instance, my 1950 Raleigh Lenton Tourist would have originally been spec'd with EA1/597mm wheels, but I have it set up with 700c wheels with 32mm tires and mudguards. Plenty of clearance and the proportions look fine to my eye. The brakes are no-name and came from a 1949 Claud Butler (which was also set up for EA1 wheels). I've also fitted 700c wheels to a Raleigh Sports with no issues:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5476/...a92992dc_z.jpg

clubman 01-30-18 08:14 AM


Originally Posted by julianadam (Post 20140009)
I'm looking for new rims for my raleigh 3 speed, but can't find any.

You can order these if you're in the US.

johnnyspaghetti 01-30-18 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put the Continental City Ride tires on my beat around Sports & fully inflated to 70psi were too fat at the lower rear mudguard an needed to snip some sheet metal away where the rear narrows at the frame clip.

Attachment 597436

BigChief 01-30-18 09:01 AM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20140191)
This one is $20. I think I'm seeing the deluxe chain wheel I want for my newly acquired Robin Hood. This guy accepted my offer for $20 a piece. $40 for both. Very poor pictures but local & lots of good parts.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...476731746.html



https://images.craigslist.org/00a0a_...G_1200x900.jpg

Hmmm, that may be a RIN chainwheel. For sure I can see the original style, cut away Robin Hood chrome fork cap.

johnnyspaghetti 01-30-18 09:11 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20140299)
Hmmm, that may be a RIN chainwheel. For sure I can see the original style, cut away Robin Hood chrome fork cap.

Thats what I maybe seeing. "RIN" What are the origins of it anyhow? I saw it on this 1955 Robinhood . I better go get the bikes.....I searched RIM "Raleigh Industries Nottingham" I'm pretty sure I see the N & R on that Craigslist bike


http://www.nostalgic.net/wp-content/...obinHood-1.jpg

rdg20 01-30-18 10:05 AM

I bought my Sport new in January 1975 - it came with a leather B72.

BigChief 01-30-18 11:20 AM

Raleigh bought out Robin Hood in 1904. They used it as a lower priced line. Not sure of the time line, but the older ones I've seen have the RIN chainwheels. I'll take a guess that it stands for Raleigh Industries Nottingham. The older ones also had a distinctive cut away chrome fork crown cap. Sometime in the 60s, they changed to the standard Raleigh flat chrome cap and the standard 3 spoke chainring that Raleigh had been using on some bikes for a long time.

BigChief 01-30-18 11:26 AM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 20140213)
I agree with that sentiment, but I find the versatility of these frames really interesting, too. For instance, my 1950 Raleigh Lenton Tourist would have originally been spec'd with EA1/597mm wheels, but I have it set up with 700c wheels with 32mm tires and mudguards. Plenty of clearance and the proportions look fine to my eye. The brakes are no-name and came from a 1949 Claud Butler (which was also set up for EA1 wheels). I've also fitted 700c wheels to a Raleigh Sports with no issues:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5476/...a92992dc_z.jpg

Wow, what a nice bike! Don't remember seeing this one before. I've never had a real English club grade bike, but I figured the EA1 wheels had better performance than the roadster's 590s since all the club bikes had them.

Ballenxj 01-30-18 12:08 PM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20140147)
You left out 650 C = 571 diameter :)

I agree with @nlerner that the best performance and component selection is found in the 650 B size. Does that matter on an English 3 speed is the question.

And the plot thickens. Now I can be totally confused. :foo:
@ nlerner, thanks, I was wondering if 700c wheels would work. :thumb:

nlerner 01-30-18 01:13 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20140603)
Wow, what a nice bike! Don't remember seeing this one before. I've never had a real English club grade bike, but I figured the EA1 wheels had better performance than the roadster's 590s since all the club bikes had them.

Thanks! This one came to me via eBay as a frameset for relatively small money. A friend has one that's just about completely original, including the alloy chain guard. This model was really a kind of odd duck: a Reynolds 531 frameset outfitted like a club bike but with chain guard and tourist bars. Was made for only a couple of years:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4670/...b72fe82d_z.jpg

Salubrious 01-30-18 03:30 PM


Originally Posted by Ballenxj (Post 20138692)
Speaking of three speed wheels and tires, are there any good tires out there for them? I get that they are 26 x 1&3/8", but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options. Has anybody re-laced other size rims onto the hub? Or is it best to stick with original and grin and bear the limited tire selection?

The 650A size is nice in that it is a good compromise between street and unpaved surfaces. Which should all be ridden by a three-speed to best effect. With lunch packed in the seat bag.

johnnyspaghetti 01-30-18 07:48 PM

I found these new for $10 each. Seems like a steal. I'll make arrangements to pick them up Fri.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/3424...MyOffersBuying




https://d2j6tswx2otu6e.cloudfront.ne...f2722dc1f1.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.