Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Shimano free hub with campy? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1217267)

robbyville 11-11-20 08:54 AM

Shimano free hub with campy?

Ok maybe someone here can remind me...

I have a brand new set of I9 wheels with torch hubs that I was going to use as my spare set for the speedvagen. COVID has put the brakes on my circa 1992 de Rosa rehab. I’m wondering if I can use a 9 or 10spd shimano cassette with a mid-late ‘90’s campy group or do I need to get the campy free hub for the wheels and swap out?

thanks as always!

big john 11-11-20 09:55 AM

The spacing is different. I put a 10s Campagnolo wheel on my 10s Shimano bike and it works in a few gears but it's noisy and shifts like crap.

noodle soup 11-11-20 11:29 AM

Shimano and Campagnolo 11spd cassettes are interchangeable, but 8-9-10 cassettes are not.

Leinster 11-11-20 02:06 PM

I have run Campag Mirage/Chorus 8spd shifters/derailleurs with shimano 8 spd cassette and kmc 9 speed chain and it worked fine. The key is to index to a middle gear (ie, the 17 or 19 on my 13-26 8spd setup) and that will split the difference in the cog spacing at either end of the shifting. Iirc the difference between Shimano and Campag 8 speed cassettes is 1.6mm in width, so by indexing to the middle, the outer gears are within about 0.8mm of alignment, which is good enough to get around. 9 and 10 speed may have tighter tolerances that would make it harder to get this right.

If you have shimano wheels knocking around, I would use this approach first, and check if the shifting meets your approval, before going out and buying a set of campag-ready wheels, which might be hard to find and expensive.

robbyville 11-11-20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21785401)
Shimano and Campagnolo 11spd cassettes are interchangeable, but 8-9-10 cassettes are not.

Interesting, thanks so much! Chances are I'll be going 10 speed so that pretty much covers it.

Originally Posted by Leinster (Post 21785705)
I have run Campag Mirage/Chorus 8spd shifters/derailleurs with shimano 8 spd cassette and kmc 9 speed chain and it worked fine. The key is to index to a middle gear (ie, the 17 or 19 on my 13-26 8spd setup) and that will split the difference in the cog spacing at either end of the shifting. Iirc the difference between Shimano and Campag 8 speed cassettes is 1.6mm in width, so by indexing to the middle, the outer gears are within about 0.8mm of alignment, which is good enough to get around. 9 and 10 speed may have tighter tolerances that would make it harder to get this right.

If you have shimano wheels knocking around, I would use this approach first, and check if the shifting meets your approval, before going out and buying a set of campag-ready wheels, which might be hard to find and expensive.

Thanks for the response. I'd like to have crisp shifting but I'll be getting the group on before the freehub so can always try. I won't be swapping the wheels themselves, just the freehub. Industry 9 has the freehub for about $110 not including pawls which I have. I emailed them to see if there was a chance for a swap with me sending the freehub back since it's never been used or even mounted. I've been sitting on the wheels for the last few months since I was pissed at myself for not having a spare set when I always have in the past (and needed them due to a creaking bearing that I was waiting for parts on). In the end, I received the new bearings at the same time as I received the wheels so I've never actually used them.

I was planning to get a set of wheels for the DeRosa rehab but now that funds are a little tighter I decided to use these wheels on the bike and convert to Campy.

thanks again folks!

noodle soup 11-11-20 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 21786270)
Interesting, thanks so much! Chances are I'll be going 10 speed so that pretty much covers it.

If you can source an Campanolo I-9 freehub body(shouldn't be too hard), you should be good to go. 9-10-11 Campagnolo all uses the same freehub body.

robbyville 11-11-20 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21786281)
If you can source an Campagnolo I-9 freehub body, you should be good to go. 9-10-11 Campagnolo all uses the same freehub body.

Yep being sold through a variety of online sellers and Industry 9 sells them direct, assuming in stock. I also emailed them to see if they'd like to "Make a Deal", they've been great to work with in the past and have been reasonable so who knows. I'd even be willing to pay for the campy one, send them back the shimano one in advance if it meant a credit of some type. I was originally thinking that it might make sense to keep the Shimano driver in case I needed it for the SV but then remembered that I have the same hubs laced to my Lightbicycle wheels, so if I did need to quickly swap drivers, chances are I could use that one.

We shall see!

robbyville 11-13-20 05:18 PM

Nice update, as always amazing customer service from Industry Nine. They responded that they'd be happy to swap out the freehub, sending me the campy one today, and then I'll send the Shimano one back for a full credit (minus shipping). Very cool. I love their hubs, 4th set of wheels with them, very happy with the service.

So now my circa 1990-'92 DeRosa will have a mid '90's Campy group along with a set of Industry Nine I25's wheels set up tubeless of course!

noodle soup 11-13-20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 21789276)
Nice update, as always amazing customer service from Industry Nine. They responded that they'd be happy to swap out the freehub, sending me the campy one today, and then I'll send the Shimano one back for a full credit (minus shipping). Very cool. I love their hubs, 4th set of wheels with them, very happy with the service.

So now my circa 1990-'92 DeRosa will have a mid '90's Campy group along with a set of Industry Nine I25's wheels set up tubeless of course!

nice.

I love high end restomod bikes. If the frameset is cherry, a modern wheelset looks sexy.

robbyville 11-13-20 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21789296)
nice.

I love high end restomod bikes. If the frameset is cherry, a modern wheelset looks sexy.

frame is looking good, re chromed the fork and cleaned the frame. Only downside is that the pink paint is faded from years of travel and sitting on my balconies when I first came to the US. But the faded pink is actually pretty nice!

Koyote 11-13-20 09:57 PM

OP: You have a Speedvagen, and didn't post a photo in this thread? For shame!

Sy Reene 11-14-20 09:18 AM

OP: There is this.. but it ain't inexpensive:
https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/...earch=cassette

noodle soup 11-14-20 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21789983)
OP: There is this.. but it ain't inexpensive:
https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/...earch=cassette

and the gear choices suck.

Bah Humbug 11-14-20 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21790079)
and the gear choices suck.

That's even worse than the horrible Campy 12 cassettes.

Sy Reene 11-14-20 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21790137)
That's even worse than the horrible Campy 12 cassettes.

Yeah, not much to choose from. Gotta wonder why they chose just those 2 combos to stock, or maybe in the past there were more options?
Gravel riders more likely to find appeal I suppose if they're on a 2x setup.

I do find it also curious to see an 11 speed version, when most folks say that Shimano/Campy spacing is already the same.

Bah Humbug 11-14-20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21790144)
Yeah, not much to choose from. Gotta wonder why they chose just those 2 combos to stock, or maybe in the past there were more options?
Gravel riders more likely to find appeal I suppose if they're on a 2x setup.

I do find it also curious to see an 11 speed version, when most folks say that Shimano/Campy spacing is already the same.

It's not quite the same; it's off by a mm or so across the cassette. It "works" but isn't perfect.

robbyville 11-15-20 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21789646)
OP: You have a Speedvagen, and didn't post a photo in this thread? For shame!

it’s been posted in this forum quite a few times, I am quite proud of it and is my daily ride (and only ride other than when the deRosa is finished. Here you go!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8052b6814.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e3bd48fc1.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...66abd06e5.jpeg

noodle soup 11-15-20 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 21790998)
it’s been posted in this forum quite a few times, I am quite proud of it and is my daily ride (and only ride other than when the deRosa is finished. Here you go!

did the creaking stop after replacing the wheel bearings?

Koyote 11-15-20 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 21790998)

Nice! I like that paint job.

robbyville 11-15-20 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21791092)
did the creaking stop after replacing the wheel bearings?

yep, probably just needed a film of grease or something but I replaced them all anyway, no problems since.

robbyville 11-15-20 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21791125)
Nice! I like that paint job.

thank you! Bike rides and handles incredibly well. I’ve had it for about 2.5yrs now, took a new riding friend on her first century a few weeks back, bike is as comfortable after 100 miles as it is on mile 10. I’d go so far as to say it’s as smooth as my previous Domane (although not quite lol)

Homebrew01 11-15-20 07:06 PM

Another option is a J-Tek Shiftmate. I am going to try it on one of my bikes running Campy 10 with a Shimano cassette.
Swapping the freehub is good, but not sure I can on this particular wheel.