Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Winter gloves that works with liner gloves (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1259027)

b88 09-21-22 11:01 AM

Winter gloves that works with liner gloves

Any recommendations for cold weather commuting glove that fits a liner for extreme cold. When temps approach 3C and below, all of the cycling specific gloves I own leave me with cold fingertips. They also have to be nimble enough to operate the levers on drop bars. I was recommended the Pearl Izumi lobster Amfib and 45Nrth Sturmfist 4 but they look pretty bulky.

MNBikeCommuter 09-21-22 11:44 AM

I use the Sturmfist 4 and yes, they look bulky but work the levers just fine. They get too warm for me above 25F. I can go out an hour at 0F and it's my feet I have problems with rather than my hands.

b88 09-21-22 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter (Post 22655042)
I use the Sturmfist 4 and yes, they look bulky but work the levers just fine. They get too warm for me above 25F. I can go out an hour at 0F and it's my feet I have problems with rather than my hands.

Thanks for the info. Are these gloves true to size according to their sizing guide.

MNBikeCommuter 09-22-22 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by b88 (Post 22655521)
Thanks for the info. Are these gloves true to size according to their sizing guide.

Based on their guide, my 9" hand puts me at the upper end of Large (9). I went with X Large (10) and they fit well. I'd like to try a Large just to see what it feels like. I'm guessing it would feel a little too snug for my tastes, which isn't what you want for cold weather rides.

They give a temp range of 0F-15F. I make them work up to 25F by riding without the wool liner. Sometimes I'll use thin polypro liners instead.

_ForceD_ 09-22-22 01:16 PM

My go to glove isn’t a glove at all. Mittens! They work so much better than gloves when it’s really cold. And the best pair I have are nylon/poly outer with fleece lining that I got for $10.00 at our local Job Lot close out store.

Dan

b88 09-22-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 22656231)
My go to glove isn’t a glove at all. Mittens! They work so much better than gloves when it’s really cold. And the best pair I have are nylon/poly outer with fleece lining that I got for $10.00 at our local Job Lot close out store.

Dan

:thumb:

$10. Can’t beat that.

b88 09-22-22 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter (Post 22655816)
Based on their guide, my 9" hand puts me at the upper end of Large (9). I went with X Large (10) and they fit well. I'd like to try a Large just to see what it feels like. I'm guessing it would feel a little too snug for my tastes, which isn't what you want for cold weather rides.

They give a temp range of 0F-15F. I make them work up to 25F by riding without the wool liner. Sometimes I'll use thin polypro liners instead.

I ordered a medium to try for fit. Expensive but last winter I cut almost every ride short after 10 mins because my fingertips were freezing.

rumrunn6 09-23-22 01:42 PM

fwiw - big fan of bar mitts
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6317e3cd08.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...be7b4ff1d8.jpg

b88 09-23-22 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22657313)
fwiw - big fan of bar mitts

I have bar mitts. Yes, they are quite effective in freezing temps. Can only fit my thinner gloves in them comfortably. Nothing against bar mitts but I prefer wearing gloves only.

rumrunn6 09-24-22 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by b88 (Post 22657577)
Can only fit my thinner gloves in them comfortably

well that's the point hehe. but I get it. I too use glove liners w a 2nd pair over top. until it gets freezing out. I won't even begin to list all my gloves. I have a problem ... hehe :innocent:

b88 09-24-22 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22657840)
well that's the point hehe. but I get it. I too use glove liners w a 2nd pair over top. until it gets freezing out. I won't even begin to list all my gloves. I have a problem ... hehe :innocent:

The problem is all the retailers and online reviewers boasting about how warm all these cycling gloves are and what temps you can wear them at. Most of them will not even come close to the lowest temp stated. So ya, you end up with a bunch of gloves too warm for fall and not warm enough for winter.

Pugs2xLove 09-27-22 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22657313)

Love those bar bitts. I have them on my bikes during Winter and not be worried about putting on a pair of heavy gloves. Without these mitts, I use PI Lobster AMFIB.

b88 09-27-22 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove (Post 22661433)
Love those bar bitts. I have them on my bikes during Winter and not be worried about putting on a pair of heavy gloves. Without these mitts, I use PI Lobster AMFIB.

I tried on a pair today at MEC. Fit is good. Too bad it wasn't -5C outside.

scottfsmith 09-27-22 07:08 PM

I use Castelli Estremo gloves with Tourmaster silk glove liners. The gloves are not bulky at all; they are rated down to -5C but don't quite get there for me. The liners are super thin so no problem fitting, and they work a lot better than expected. The combo is good down to about -4C/25F for me without any numbness.

b88 09-27-22 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by scottfsmith (Post 22661583)
I use Castelli Estremo gloves with Tourmaster silk glove liners. The gloves are not bulky at all; they are rated down to -5C but don't quite get there for me. The liners are super thin so no problem fitting, and they work a lot better than expected. The combo is good down to about -4C/25F for me without any numbness.

Those were on my wish list last fall. It was quite difficult then to find bike parts and clothing/accessories in stock.

_ForceD_ 09-28-22 09:02 AM

To me, those mounted bar mitts seem like they’d encumber your hand if you need to get it off the bar quickly, in an emergency…like to break your fall if you’re going down. Is that an issue with those things?
(Also…off topic, but glad to see that I’m not the only one still using wired computers. I’m overkill redundancy! When I roll out the driveway I the wired one, a GPS watch, and Strava on my phone.)

Dan

rm -rf 09-28-22 09:28 AM

My hands get cold very easily.
For years, I had some goretex shell gloves from REI, oversized for me, with lots of room for liners. Shell gloves, wind/water blocking with no insulation, seem to be non-existent now? I don't know why.
They were great. I could layer up a thin liner, a fleece glove, and the shell. Or go all the way down to just the shell itself if the day warmed up. And they were easy to wash too.

I now have electric heated gloves! I looked at reviews and got the Volt Heat Tatra gloves. Very expensive, but completely worth it to me. These have small lithium batteries in the cuff, and 4 levels of heat. Nice insulation in the gloves, too. The heat extends down each finger and thumb.
When off, they are probably too warm above the 50-55F range. In the 40s, I usually start them on high-4, then dial down as my core warms up from the riding. After 30 min, I'm usually at level 1 or 2 out of 4. I easily get 2 hours from them and that's about as long as I ride in the winter. The one ride I did at 30F was marginal--I had cold but not painfully cold fingers.

These gloves are so nice for winter snow hiking, often in the range of 25F to 40F.

~~~~
Moderate (for me) temperatures:
Glove liners are so versatile
I have very thin REI liners that work great under short finger gloves in the mid 50s to upper 60s. Or as liners for winter gloves.
Fleece windblocking gloves for low 50s to 60.

t2p 09-28-22 11:15 AM

It's been decades since I've used them - but I have the PI 'lobster' gloves (somewhere) and I believe they worked fairly well ... as good or better than my other fairly good / best winter gloves

can't recall if the size / 'bulkiness' was an issue

heated gloves (or similar) might be a good or better option ?

we have heated grips on our snowmobiles - they make a huge difference ... they actually get too warm when on high setting

Daniel4 09-29-22 07:39 PM

Here's an ad I keep getting in Youtube or Google newsfeeds:

https://cbliy.com/products/ultimate-...xoCg5EQAvD_BwE

rumrunn6 10-03-22 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22662197)
It's been decades since I've used them - but I have the PI 'lobster' gloves (somewhere) and I believe they worked fairly well ... as good or better than my other fairly good / best winter gloves. can't recall if the size / 'bulkiness' was an issue

I have those as well. when winter hits & I have to shovel or rake the roof, I make use of some cycling gloves I don't ride with anymore

rumrunn6 10-03-22 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by rm -rf (Post 22662044)
shell gloves.

got curious & came across these:

U.L. SHELL GLOVES $25

MGS Shell Gloves $290

rumrunn6 10-03-22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 22663896)
Here's an ad I keep getting in Youtube of Google newsfeeds:
https://cbliy.com/products/ultimate-...xoCg5EQAvD_BwE

I am such a sucker for "ultimate" gloves "Finally A Pair Of Outdoor Gloves With Warmth & Performance"

when I pass away, my kids are gonna have a good chuckle, when they have to deal with all my gloves

Attilio 10-24-22 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by b88 (Post 22654995)
Any recommendations for cold weather commuting glove that fits a liner for extreme cold. When temps approach 3C and below, all of the cycling specific gloves I own leave me with cold fingertips. They also have to be nimble enough to operate the levers on drop bars. I was recommended the Pearl Izumi lobster Amfib and 45Nrth Sturmfist 4 but they look pretty bulky.

I ride a flat bar hybrid beater in the winter or MTB fat bike and like the Planet Bike mittenish (index are separated) gloves but I replaced the inner lining gloves w/ the Meriwool brand merino wool gloves they are a little warmer.

Attilio 11-10-22 07:38 PM

One other issue I may want to mention at least for me on a bike glove size needs to be larger or I get numb hands. So I normally wear an L to XL (XL better) and use XXL and so forth. Others like their bike gloves tight, tight tight. YMMV, try before you buy or get a cheap pair and ride in mild weather now long enough to decide that size is for you.

79pmooney 11-10-22 10:04 PM

I use and love chopper miits with wool liner mittens. Good to -5F (-20C) when I was young and probably +5F (-15C) now at 70. Deerskin leather. Used for chopping wood. The trick is to buy the largest size possible. I have narrow hands and long fingers. I get XXL anytime I can.

I treat them about once a year with Snowseal, a beeswax dressing. I love that they do not slip on the handlebars. While I lose some summertime hand positions due to the "webbing" of the mitten, in return I gain some because of that non[slip tendency, allowing positions that would be dangerous or tiring in summer. Also love that they are so easy on, easy off. Pulling one off mid-ride to reach into a pocket to get a snack then putting it back on while riding doesn't take skill.

Another plus, as it warms up, just pull out the inner mitts. Leather shell only is good to 70F. And easy to dry when you get home.

Lastly, a question about BarMitts - can you use both the drops and the brake hoods while riding or are you limited to just one (and do you get to choose which)?