Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Triathlon (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   What is wrong with guys running in tights? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1216023)

CanadianBiker32 10-24-20 06:00 AM

What is wrong with guys running in tights?

What is wrong with guys running in tights?
For the colder months when running . I as i like to trail run often in the winter months. I prefer to wear running tights as best for running in for all comfort and flexbility.
Why do some people have issues with guys in running in tighter pants? lol
For all your tri guys out there. Do you run in tights as well? what types you prefer for the colder months? or what else would you wear for running in tights? just seems more natural.

CargoDane 10-24-20 06:04 AM

I don't run. But people have issues with running attire? Nobody should care what you choose to run in.

sdmc530 10-24-20 12:11 PM

Agree with Cargo....who cares. I have friends who give me relentless guff about riding in bibs. I know its all in good fun but if you don't get it you just don't I guess. I wouldn't worry about it. I would say anybody doing anything for the benefit of their own health no matter what they look like doing it is a winner to me! 100%

who am I to judge anyone

Bob the Mech 10-24-20 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No issue with running tights for men...but I draw the line with things like these... :)

shelbyfv 10-24-20 04:06 PM

I've never heard of folks having an issue with running tights. Maybe it's a question of definition. Women have a lighter garment also known as "tights" that is meant to be worn under other clothing. If you are running in something like that, with your junk on display, maybe that's the problem.:foo:

RggBee 10-26-20 09:07 AM

Do you mean guys who feel uncomfortable wearing them, of guys who feel uncomfortable when watching the first guys?:foo:
I wear them as they provide perfect support for my muscles.

OldTryGuy 10-27-20 02:27 AM

What ever floats one's boat.

My choice was full leg warmers, compression shorts with running shorts over.

burnthesheep 10-27-20 11:30 AM

I don't judge people who don camouflaged pajamas and douse themselves with deer piss and trek out to the woods at 3:30 in the morning to go kill animals they may or may not eat afterwards.

Nor do I judge what people wear to workout. Unless it is in violation of some kind of law.

xiaoman1 10-27-20 07:14 PM

Wear what makes you comfortable.....who cares what others think "you" should wear. :thumb:
Best, Ben

canklecat 02-26-21 02:07 PM

I have some running tights that I wore several times this winter. They're sort of speckled gray/black with bright orange/salmon side stripes for visibility. Comfy, good leg support, less restrictive than my Reebok and other sweatpants. I don't care what anyone thinks. I ride a bike wearing tight fitting Lycra and Spandex, often very colorful stuff. Even my most colorful running gear is more subdued.

seypat 06-09-21 01:41 PM

Unless it's in the dark, my wife tells me to wear some shorts over the tights. I guess she doesn't want me running around like these guys. :D

burnthesheep 06-11-21 10:14 AM

Well, football players pretty much wear tights over their pads year round. In practice they appear to wear under armor tights to run and do drills without pads.

So why do we care? Just go with black/dark colors that don't attract attention. Functionality is more important here.

Personally, I run in shorts down to the upper 30's. I warm up enough and just won't stop.

ClydeClydeson 06-11-21 10:21 AM

A certain segment of the male population is uncomfortable seeing other men in tight clothing. I believe they are troubled by their own feelings that are more difficult to suppress in such situations. Perhaps they think such clothes should be left in the closet, as has worked for them in other ways.

Chubakazubaka 01-19-22 07:56 AM

Then they are strange people if they think so

rumrunn6 01-19-22 08:01 AM

fwiw - this time of year, I wear running tights under cycling pants, as a base layer. can't imagine running in them tho. not w/ my figure. & even if I did, I would certainly wear my tri-shorts under, to keep "the boys" in place

caloso 01-19-22 08:05 AM

It’s winter in the Northern Hemisphere. So, no it doesn’t bother me. I guess it wouldn’t bother me anytime of the year, actually.

burnthesheep 01-19-22 08:24 AM

Worth mentioning from hanging out more on Slowtwitch than here, that there exists the same "curmudgeon" aspect to running as cycling. Just like how cycling has folks who still want to wear leather shorts, toe clips, and decry any newer tech as people going "soft" or "showing off" or whatever..........you get it with runners also. Runners that feel the only proper running attire ever is a set of 1970's short shorts, some worn the heck our New Balance shoes, and a white running shirt. They decry any modern comforts as necessary and ridiculous.

Those people are the ones against "tights only", it seems. The modern "runner's runner" will wear them without shorts over them and wear whatever makes them most comfortable to perform best. Tradition be damned.

rumrunn6 01-19-22 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 22379467)
It’s winter in the Northern Hemisphere. So, no it doesn’t bother me. I guess it wouldn’t bother me anytime of the year, actually.

yeah, I think I'd be bothered seeing someone running in shorts this time of year! cringeworthy! Brr!

caloso 01-19-22 11:30 AM

We were up at the lake over the weekend and one morning I saw a guy jogging in shorts when it was 12F. My knees hurt just watching.