Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   You know you are a hard-core commuter if... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=754113)

steve-in-kville 07-23-11 08:34 AM

You know you are a hard-core commuter if...

... you listen to the weather at 4am to determine if you will have a tailwind, headwind or cross-wind on the way home from work!

... you've bought three different brands of deodorant in the past two weeks to see whick holds up the longest.

(these threads are fun every now and again!!)

dynodonn 07-23-11 08:44 AM

....you are willing to search a couple of years or more for the right bike fit/brand/color scheme to match your current cycling accessories.

justadude 07-23-11 08:49 AM

based on familiarity, you anticipate quirks and variations in the road surface without even looking

dinkjs 07-23-11 08:56 AM

You make your mom ride on the back of your bike because you dont even dare sit in the passenger seat of a car

DX-MAN 07-23-11 09:19 AM

... the only reason you check the weather is to see what gear to take along.

... you have more keys for bike locks than for your house.

Aeneas 07-23-11 09:50 AM

...even though your car needs an oil change and a wash, you spend the afternoon washing your bike and cleaning the drive train.

... Your dripping sweat in the elevator at work carrying your pannier/ saddlebag and helmet and don't justify the "You rode your bike today?" question with a response.

Grishnak 07-23-11 10:45 AM

... you have more keys for bike locks than for your house.[/QUOTE]

OOps! Guilty as charged,not even embarrassed.

BSB 07-23-11 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville (Post 12973828)
... you listen to the weather at 4am to determine if you will have a tailwind, headwind or cross-wind on the way home from work!

... you stop checking the weather forecast because you no longer care how bad the weather is.

Cyclist01012 07-23-11 12:32 PM

You drive to work one day in the last 6 months just because you are hooking up with some friends to mountian bike right after work, and it feels like you are cheating on your commuter bike.

El Duderino X 07-23-11 12:52 PM

You have more than one back-up bike and your closet is overflowing with commuting related bike accessory bags.

scroca 07-23-11 02:04 PM

You come around a corner in the dark and hit a dog, causing you to fly headfirst onto the asphalt, after which you get up, straighten out your handlebars and ride to the YMCA where you wash off the blood in the shower and apply the bandages that the staff has on hand, before you ride on to work the day before your regular medical checkup where you will find that your thumb is broken. Then you ride the rest of the winter with your hand in a cast trying to keep it from freezing since a glove won't fit over it.

Ira B 07-23-11 03:30 PM

You save a lot of money on gas by commuting by bike, then spend most of it on bike stuff. :D :p

thorsteno 07-23-11 03:31 PM

Post #11 is hardcore.

You commute in Spring with clippers and a folding saw for all the limbs along your route?

colleen c 07-23-11 03:45 PM

When your lights on your commuter bike is brighter than your car headlights.

gdhillard 07-23-11 04:08 PM

When your bike lives in your office in the day time, and in your bedroom at night. And when you are happiest on the road.

Igo 07-23-11 04:20 PM

Boss enters elevator where you have a bike standing on its back wheel. He looks shocked. You don't notice.

You have bike tools and a full size pump anywhere you travel regularly.

You're filing cabinet stinks........

ScottNotBombs 07-23-11 04:29 PM

... If you've ever googled, "Do I need to change my oil every 3 months even if I didn't drive the car".

... Your plates are expired for months before you notice.

... Your neighbors tell you your yard looks like sh*t with the cars that don't run sitting in the driveway, and they both run and are driveable... My neighbor's wife doesn't like me.

El Duderino X 07-23-11 04:36 PM

When, for the last few years, you find yourself spending a few minutes every other day firing up your car just to keep the battery from going dead (again).

Igo 07-23-11 04:50 PM

You live in an apartment and don't remember where you left your car.

nelson249 07-23-11 05:33 PM

You've forgotten how to get to work or other places using the car....

This actually happened. I was meeting a friend and for some reason I was driving. I actually had to sit down and figure out a route since I couldn't use the MUP network and had to avoid construction road closures.

neotheone 07-23-11 06:04 PM

When a giant river runs through your city, and you'd rather leave an hour early to ride in a giant circle to cross the only bridge in the city where bike traffic is legal.

Digital_Cowboy 07-23-11 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by nelson249 (Post 12975895)
You've forgotten how to get to work or other places using the car....

This actually happened. I was meeting a friend and for some reason I was driving. I actually had to sit down and figure out a route since I couldn't use the MUP network and had to avoid construction road closures.

Don't feel bad, I have a bike shop that I go to that if I had to get to it via the roads I wouldn't know how to get to it. But I can get to it with no problem via the MUP.

Oil_LOL 07-23-11 09:32 PM

You become a bit depressed when you have to drive to work for a week.

CJ C 07-23-11 11:39 PM

when a coworker sees you drive into the parking lot then later that day ask if you got a new car even though you had it for 5 years.

DPV 07-23-11 11:55 PM

...when your only reaction to seeing 3" of snow on the ground in the morning, is to layer up and leave 10 minutes earlier.