Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Cape Cod Rail Trail season opener MK 9 Mod 0 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1194931)

top506 03-01-20 08:52 AM

Cape Cod Rail Trail season opener MK 9 Mod 0

As has become traditional on St. Davids Day, along with wearing a leek in you cap, drinking beer, and singing a chorus of 'Men of Harlach' I invite one and all to the unofficial New England season opening ride up and down the CCRT. Dennis to So. Welfleet and back with the odd side jaunt, 45 miles more or less on a nice, flat MUP. C&V themed, but all are welcome. The Saturday of Patriots Day weekend, 18 April this year. Departing from the Dennis trailhead (exit 9A off US Rt 6) approx 1000.

repechage 03-01-20 09:20 AM

Wrong coast but reads like fun.

ScottRyder 03-01-20 10:33 AM

I'm in a far as I know. Looking forward to it and seeing everyone.

Cheers,

Scott

spiker 03-01-20 03:06 PM

I'll be there. New work schedule has me done for the week 8am Saturdays. Home and rest when we're done. See everyone then.

satbuilder 03-02-20 07:41 AM

I was up at the Cape last September. While I didn't ride, I have to say the bike trails looked like some of the nicest maintained I've ever seen. Plus they're everywhere. Definitely looks like a bike friendly area. Tax friendly, no, unfortunately.

daviddavieboy 03-02-20 10:36 AM

All those years delivering to Hyannis and I never knew that was even there. I would love to go but I will be back to work from my trip to Eroica.

noglider 03-02-20 01:50 PM

Carol and I were able to join you two or three years ago. Or was that the fall ride? We can't make it this time. We'll miss you. Have fun. For sure, the weather is likely to be better than the day we rode.

Last ride 76 03-02-20 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by top506 (Post 21348693)
As has become traditional on St. Davids Day, along with wearing a leek in you cap, drinking beer, and singing a chorus of 'Men of Harlach' I invite one and all to the unofficial New England season opening ride up and down the CCRT. Dennis to So. Welfleet and back with the odd side jaunt, 45 miles more or less on a nice, flat MUP. C&V themed, but all are welcome. The Saturday of Patriots Day weekend, 18 April this year. Departing from the Dennis trailhead (exit 9A off US Rt 6) approx 1000.

If I can I will... I used to ride the 3 1/2 miles of the Shining Sea Bikeway, back when that was all there was. Last summer I got a chance to ride some of the "new" bits and loved it! Thanks for making this a thing.

TriBiker19 03-02-20 07:55 PM

I’ll be there! :)

Prowler 03-03-20 05:35 AM

It's on my list too. I'm in recover/OT from a "trigger finger release" procedure. My right hand grip is much weaker than usual. The 'service providers' are saying no cycling for a bit longer. So we'll see what progress in 6 weeks. And this hand thing is slowing completion of the Fuji TS III rehab. Huh: incomplete rehab delays completing rehab.

But I am also thinking of sequences for the bookend days. Farmington trail, out to MV, East Bay? At least the planning is fun.

ScottRyder 03-03-20 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21350374)
For sure, the weather is likely to be better than the day we rode.

Ha!! We're doomed now for sure!!! Hope we get to meet at some point.

Scott

jethin 03-03-20 07:02 AM

I may be able to do this, but might be in need of something to ride ~ 57cm. If anyone has a possible loaner let me know. Despite past braggadocio I ride my bikes about as hard as a cream puff.

noglider 03-03-20 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by jethin (Post 21351250)
I may be able to do this, but might be in need of something to ride ~ 57cm. If anyone has a possible loaner let me know. Despite past braggadocio I ride my bikes about as hard as a cream puff.

I could loan you a bike. Oh you're saying you can't transport one from here to there?

jethin 03-03-20 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21351273)
I could loan you a bike. Oh you're saying you can't transport one from here to there?

Yeah, that’s the deal. In other news I think you should clear your schedule and come do this ride. ;)

satbuilder 03-03-20 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 21351185)
It's on my list too. I'm in recover/OT from a "trigger finger release" procedure. My right hand grip is much weaker than usual. The 'service providers' are saying no cycling for a bit longer. So we'll see what progress in 6 weeks. And this hand thing is slowing completion of the Fuji TS III rehab. Huh: incomplete rehab delays completing rehab.

But I am also thinking of sequences for the bookend days. Farmington trail, out to MV, East Bay? At least the planning is fun.

Fun stuff. I've had 5 hand surgeries to date, 3 of which were trigger releases. Wish you luck and a speedy recovery.

top506 03-03-20 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 21351185)

Hope you can make it; I missed last year's due to rotator cuff surgery.

Originally Posted by jethin (Post 21351250)

Sure I can come up with something.

TriBiker19 03-03-20 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by top506 (Post 21352199)

Sure I can come up with something.

I happen to have a 56cm Ironman that’s done that ride before... ;)

plonz 03-04-20 05:58 AM

I’m on the Cape for business once a month so will see if I can time this right. Flat 45 miles gives me a chance to ride my seldom-mounted Olmo with its narrow cog set. Hopefully I can make the date work.

T.W.O. 03-08-20 08:50 AM

I'm planning on being there. The question is, "What to ride?". High geared Olmo's and Centurion Ironman's sound like a fast group! - Steve

Bianchigirll 03-08-20 10:04 AM

Is this trail that meanders out along the Cape? It's probably been since around '95 that I rode anywhere in Mass especially 'Down the Cape' Beautiful scenery. The group I used to ride Sundays with out of Hingham used to ride down to P-town once a year and ferry back to waiting cars in Plymouth. Great times

TriBiker19 03-08-20 07:47 PM

What’s the normal pace for this ride?

top506 03-08-20 08:01 PM

Quite leisurely. A veteran tandem team is usually off the front.

TriBiker19 03-08-20 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll (Post 21357808)
Is this trail that meanders out along the Cape? It's probably been since around '85 that I rode anywhere in Mass especially 'Down the Cape' Beautiful scenery. The group I used to ride Sundays with out of Hingham used to ride down to P-town once a year and ferry back to waiting cars in Plymouth. Great times

consider joining us? ( please save me from being the only female on this ride...)

Bianchigirll 03-09-20 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by TriBiker19 (Post 21358598)
consider joining us? ( please save me from being the only female on this ride...)

id love to but it is just too far away and we are heading into our busy season.

Prowler 03-09-20 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by TriBiker19 (Post 21358598)

TB: I doubt you'll be the only gal. That veteran tandem team usually includes Sharon providing all the real power. Their pace is generally diminished, though, by the load of excellent gluten free cookies in the panniers, along with a picnic lunch that would please a Parisian. Not unusual for other gals to join too.

My OT is progressing nicely. Taking my 74 Crescent out for a long ride today, solely as a test ride don-cha-kno. Recovery continues and completion of my light tourer nears. Hope to meet you soon.