Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Drinking Whilst on the Move (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233470)

gringomojado 06-24-21 04:06 PM

Drinking Whilst on the Move

Do you use an underhand or overhand grip on the "bidon" while in motion? Seems like the Europeans use underhand, the USA use overhand, and Latin Americans about half and half.

I refer to road racing, not mountain biking!

gm

Koyote 06-24-21 04:14 PM

Not a very funny spoof on this very recent thread, but I will give you credit for using "whilst" in a sentence. So much classier than using the common "while," like a prole.

indyfabz 06-24-21 04:23 PM

Yeah. Parody threads are usually flops.

Ghazmh 06-24-21 05:54 PM

This thread has me wondering if a Camelbak hose should go on the right or left shoulder strap?

indyfabz 06-24-21 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ghazmh (Post 22116450)
This thread has me wondering if a Camelbak hose should go on the right or left shoulder strap?

Duh. Right.

shelbyfv 06-25-21 05:38 AM

It would be cool to be proficient with the Rapha Flip. I'd probably end up like Dreamy if I tried.:twitchy: https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...been-hurt.html

wolfchild 06-25-21 05:41 AM

I am not a roadie and I don't follow any roadie rules on a proper way to use a water bottle.. If I am thirsty I just drink, no need to over complicate things.

wolfchild 06-25-21 05:42 AM

Left

pdlamb 06-25-21 07:16 AM

Whatever.

dmanthree 06-25-21 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22116880)
I am not a roadie and I don't follow any roadie rules on a proper way to use a water bottle.. If I am thirsty I just drink, no need to over complicate things.

...whooosshhh...

AdkMtnMonster 06-25-21 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22116880)

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22114931)
1 - I pull over to the side and stop
2 - Remove the bottle from the cage.
3 - Unscrew the lid and take a drink
4 - Screw the lid back on.
5 - Put the bottle back in the cage
6 - Continue riding.

Really? You “just drink”? Are you sure you don’t stop first, unscrew your lid, and quaff, then reversing the procedure before setting off once again?

rydabent 06-25-21 09:02 AM

Not a problem on a trike at all.

79pmooney 06-25-21 09:51 AM

To get on topic here - I drink overhand simply because I was in my late 40s when I first saw footage of the underhand swig. Just like I ride with my front brake on the left. I had too many miles on and habits too well set to change by the time I realized there was a better way. Going underhand now? I'd "trip" over at least one dropped bottle.

Darth Lefty 06-25-21 10:43 AM

How soon until Trek or someone “changes cycling forever“ by inventing straws?

Iride01 06-25-21 10:51 AM

Is grip over or underhand a thing? I'll have to watch for that since the TdF is nearly upon us. I guess I'm overhand with my grip.

I do usually try to wait till climbing to take a swig. Seems better to be less than ideal speed while climbing instead of at less than ideal speed descending. Never done the math on that though. Ideal being pretty much a hard effort, but not a max effort.

jackb 06-26-21 09:07 PM

I generally stop, straddle the bike, take the lid off my water bottle, drink, then look around for a minute. Safe and pleasurable, but obviously not for racers.

shelbyfv 06-27-21 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by jackb (Post 22119228)
I generally stop, straddle the bike, take the lid off my water bottle, drink, then look around for a minute. Safe and pleasurable, but obviously not for racers.

Or folks who don't ride solo.

downhillmaster 06-27-21 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 22117054)
Really? You “just drink”? Are you sure you don’t stop first, unscrew your lid, and quaff, then reversing the procedure before setting off once again?

Pretty sure his point is that there is absolutely no need in the world for an adult to ask anyone how to drink from a water bottle.
It ofc is regularly asked on these forums though proving that, as suspected, BF truly is an alternate and skewed reality

indyfabz 06-27-21 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22119399)
Or folks who don't ride solo.

If I did that while touring I’d never get anywhere a lot of days. I’d also waste a lot of energy getting a loaded bike back up to speed.

shelbyfv 06-27-21 06:36 AM

Yep. On a hot day I might drink every 10 minutes, surely not going to stop that often.... Drinking whilst on the move is just another skill but much easier to learn than trackstand, bunny hop or riding no hands.

wolfchild 06-27-21 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22119456)
Yep. On a hot day I might drink every 10 minutes, surely not going to stop that often.... Drinking whilst on the move is just another skill but much easier to learn than trackstand, bunny hop or riding no hands.

I did a 2.5 hour mountain bike ride early this morning in a warm humid weather and only stopped twice to take a drink.

shelbyfv 06-27-21 06:53 AM

You must have a bit of camel in your DNA!:beer:

Kai Winters 06-27-21 07:16 AM

I use left and right, over and under hand to remove the bidon from its' cage whilst riding. I do not discriminate...

Iride01 06-27-21 09:35 AM

When I go walking with my wife, she has to stop to take a drink. She won't even attempt while moving. She doesn't chew bubblegum either. I guess there must be something to that old saying. <grin>

Please don't tell her I said this to the world!

wolfchild 06-27-21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kai Winters (Post 22119490)
I use left and right, over and under hand to remove the bidon from its' cage whilst riding. I do not discriminate...

Do you also juggle your water bottles around while riding no handed and drinking at the same time ??