Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Goodyear Bicycle Tires ? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1205901)

pakeboi 06-27-20 10:08 AM

Goodyear Bicycle Tires ?

Have they gained any traction in the marketplace ?

https://www.goodyearbike.com/

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6f65f7e87c.png

Mulberry20 06-27-20 11:19 AM

I looked into them but they are just branded Goodyear and made in Thailand. Goodyear has literally nothing to do with the tires.

Unlike Pirelli which makes all the stuff and ships it to Hutchinson for assembly.

pakeboi 06-27-20 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mulberry20 (Post 21556416)
I looked into them but they are just branded Goodyear and made in Thailand. Goodyear has literally nothing to do with the tires.

Unlike Pirelli which makes all the stuff and ships it to Hutchinson for assembly.

Found this online :

"The Peak and the Escape are designed for XC and trail bikes, while the Newton and Newton ST are intended for more aggressive riding. The tires are manufactured in Taiwan, but, according to Goodyear, the compounds used are proprietary, and only found in Goodyear tires."

Ross520 06-27-20 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by pakeboi (Post 21556785)
Found this online :

"The Peak and the Escape are designed for XC and trail bikes, while the Newton and Newton ST are intended for more aggressive riding. The tires are manufactured in Taiwan, but, according to Goodyear, the compounds used are proprietary, and only found in Goodyear tires."

Either way, you're better off with established brands in the cycling community, such as Continental, Vittoria, and Schwalbe. These companies put significantly more money into research and development, resulting in the best tires on the market.

I don't see any reason to test the waters when there's so many tried-and-true tires already available.

pakeboi 06-27-20 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ross520 (Post 21557330)
Either way, you're better off with established brands in the cycling community, such as Continental, Vittoria, and Schwalbe. These companies put significantly more money into research and development, resulting in the best tires on the market.

I don't see any reason to test the waters when there's so many tried-and-true tires already available.

Got it , thanks .
I was curious for myself ,.
But also curious from an industry , business perspective if they were gaining any traction .

Ross520 06-28-20 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by pakeboi (Post 21557336)
Got it , thanks .
I was curious for myself ,.
But also curious from an industry , business perspective if they were gaining any traction .

I don't think they are. Especially given the fact the they only seem to have one tire, and it's of questionable origin.

Another thing to consider is that Goodyear isn't even capable of making good automotive tires, so I would assume their bicycle tires wouldn't be great either (Michelin is gold in the car world, followed by Continental and Pirelli). As a long-time car enthusiast, I wouldn't want a bike tire from them.

Nice pun, BTW. 👌

MattTheHat 06-28-20 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ross520 (Post 21557416)
I don't think they are. Especially given the fact the they only seem to have one tire, and it's of questionable origin.

Another thing to consider is that Goodyear isn't even capable of making good automotive tires, so I would assume their bicycle tires wouldn't be great either (Michelin is gold in the car world, followed by Continental and Pirelli). As a long-time car enthusiast, I wouldn't want a bike tire from them.

Nice pun, BTW. 👌

Goodyear isn’t capable of making good automotive tires? What? Their passenger car tires are superior to Pirelli in my experience.

I have no idea about their bicycle tires but don’t see any compelling reason to try them.

Ross520 06-28-20 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21557537)
Goodyear isn’t capable of making good automotive tires? What? Their passenger car tires are superior to Pirelli in my experience.

I have no idea about their bicycle tires but don’t see any compelling reason to try them.

​​​​​​
Seems as if Goodyear is usually a day late, and a dollar short when it comes to performance tires. Every once in a while they'll have a hit, but they're far from consistent.

I can't speak on their economy-minded tires, though. I should have clarified that before.

​​​​​​

70sSanO 06-28-20 08:37 AM

Yeah, but do the bike tires have raised letters?

John

Mulberry20 06-28-20 09:27 AM

Michelin’s bicycle tires aren’t nearly as good as Pirelli’s or Continental’s. That is another case of rebranded Asian tires. The only Asian tires in the top-tier are Panaracer. Which is part of Panasonic and made in Japan.

Pirelli - made in France
Continental - made in Germany
Panaracer - made in Japan
Veloflex - handmade in Italy

Pick from those four.

FiftySix 06-28-20 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mulberry20 (Post 21557815)
Michelin’s bicycle tires aren’t nearly as good as Pirelli’s or Continental’s. That is another case of rebranded Asian tires. The only Asian tires in the top-tier are Panaracer. Which is part of Panasonic and made in Japan.

Pirelli - made in France

Pick from those four.

Except for the economy models of at least two of those. I have a set of Panaracer Tour made in China and a set of Continental Ride City made in India.

pakeboi 06-28-20 02:19 PM

Pirelli - made in France

Pick from those four.

Schwalbe ?

Mulberry20 06-28-20 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by pakeboi (Post 21558240)
Schwalbe ?

Indonesia

cb400bill 06-28-20 03:38 PM

Vittoria tires are made in Thailand.

mercator 06-28-20 04:01 PM

Pirelli - made in France

Pick from those four.

My michelin pro4 tires are made in France.

Tacoenthusiast 06-28-20 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21557537)

Superior to pirelli isn't high praise
I've had a couple sets of pirelli on my cars. While the pirelli brand is undeniably cool, the tires were hot garbage

I would never put Goodyear's on my car or bike

MattTheHat 06-28-20 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast (Post 21558453)
Superior to pirelli isn't high praise
I've had a couple sets of pirelli on my cars. While the pirelli brand is undeniably cool, the tires were hot garbage

I would never put Goodyear's on my car or bike

I mentioned Pirelli in response to the comment I quoted. I’ve not had good experiences with hi-performance Pirelli auto tires, either. I can’t afford high performance Goodyear tires, but their all-season passenger car tires I’ve been pleased with.

I wouldn’t run either brand on my bicycle. I’m pretty happy with the Continental GP5000TL tires.

Tacoenthusiast 06-28-20 05:42 PM

Conti bike tires actually led me to try them on my car and I've been very happy with them for both vehicles

dmanthree 06-28-20 06:14 PM

Pirelli - made in France

Pick from those four.

Are you sure? Doesn't Michelin design the tires and just outsource the manufacturing?

aclinjury 06-28-20 07:23 PM

deleted

Tacoenthusiast 06-28-20 09:14 PM

But get real on tour use

Pro peloton isn't using the tires they think are best, they're using tires that pay them to use them

I'm sure Vittoria makes fine cycling tires but the pros aren't using them because they think they're great tires

aclinjury 06-28-20 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast (Post 21558876)
But get real on tour use

Pro peloton isn't using the tires they think are best, they're using tires that pay them to use them

I'm sure Vittoria makes fine cycling tires but the pros aren't using them because they think they're great tires

what a silly comment. Sure they get paid for using products, but at this level, NOBODY is paying Tour riders to use shoddy equipment. Do you even make sense bro?

Tacoenthusiast 06-28-20 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by aclinjury (Post 21558902)
what a silly comment. Sure they get paid for using products, but at this level, NOBODY is paying Tour riders to use shoddy equipment. Do you even make sense bro?

You'll note I said they make fine tires.....

They're clearly not garbage, but there certainly could be faster tires available
They use what they get paid to use, it's not like they tested all tires and then settled on Vittoria

​​​​​​

diphthong 08-27-20 08:45 PM

apparently, we're supposed to be boycotting them according to der leader.

Pop N Wood 08-28-20 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ross520 (Post 21557330)

But if you haven't tried them how do you know they aren't any good?

I see their bike tubes all over town but seemingly never in the sizes I use.