Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

abshipp 07-18-20 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21594610)
Speaking of the power amp, do you have a way to test the tubes? One of them might be on its way out..

I do not, and I have had a power amp failure twice before with two other amps so I'm always a little suspicious of that. My Traynor was such a PITA about that.

It's a good idea to check, but I'm pretty sure the issue is between the preamp and effect loop send. Everything sounds great with the P2 acting as a preamp going straight in to the effect loop return, and if I take everything out of the loop and plug directly into the amp everything sounds fine as well.

Velo Vol 07-18-20 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21594616)
Here is a listing near my 'hood and one of the cheapest houses in the area.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-75092?view=qv

Same size. Bigger lot. Needs a little work. #FixerUpper

They really went the extra mile to make the house presentable for the photos.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-32842?view=qv

DougRNS 07-18-20 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21594528)
DougRNS when was the last time you rode up nearby Brasstown Bald?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI-7WqKX4f4

Never been to nearby Brasstown Bald. I did ride up nearby Mt Mitchell from about 5000 ft to the top about 25 years ago at a casual pace just to say I did it. 84* at the start 68* at top.

I was on vacation and lived in Pennsylvania at the time.

bampilot06 07-18-20 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21594567)
I think that there should be a law that you need to explicitly disclose the inclusion of raisins in any baked goods. Whilst out on our day of family fun, I got a peach crisp only to find friggin' raisins mixed in with the peaches. Damn savages.

Burn it down.

bampilot06 07-18-20 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21594585)
Nope, bought it used like 5 years ago.

I've decided to just use the P2 as my preamp and put the dirt effects before it and the time effects after, bypassing the Valveking preamp and going straight in to the effects loop return. Sounds okay, the clean channel is pretty bland but the distortion still sounds good as ever :thumb:

It would be better if I lived somewhere that I could drive the EL84 power amp a little bit ;)

My eden has been doing weird stuff. We have lived in this house for the last 1.5 years. Didnít touch the amp til about a couple of months ago and itís really scatchy now. Iíve tried using different cables and different basses but it still sounds terrible. Havnt had the time to open it up yet, kind of blows because so was hoping to sell it.

phrantic09 07-18-20 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21594620)
Interesting; you're better at 5k than me but worse at longer, and usually I'm in your position. I've gone sub-1:28 on hilly halves and 3:17 on a meltdown in Dallas most here saw when my quads locked and knees failed at mile 22.

i have a tendency to overdo it early in the longer distance races, which is why I like 5ks, I can run hard enough to nearly puke and know Iím okay.

Velo Vol 07-18-20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21594662)
Never been to nearby Brasstown Bald. I did ride up nearby Mt Mitchell from about 5000 ft to the top about 25 years ago at a casual pace just to say I did it. 84* at the start 68* at top.

The climb starts at 2200 feet.

https://www.strava.com/segments/666945

MoAlpha 07-18-20 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21594472)
Thank you!

No hills, cross-head going out, but that's when I made some time. It's a T shape type deal, so we got all 4 compass points. 98.5 average temp.... But it's a dry heat! With the new position, I expected to lose some watts, so the aero thing is true. Get aero, the speed takes care of itself. I wasn't nearly as acclimated as I needed to be, but something had to change. With Covid, we didn't know this was coming up til about 3 weeks ago, so that's when I got back on the TT bike. Then, I didn't do anything but. 4x10' LT, 2x20' LT, then I would do stuff like 3x3' VO2 max after those. Of course, his favorite is 4x6' Vo2 max, and 40" on/20" easy for 10 minutes, times 4. You haven't lived until you've done that on a TT bike... Going to 7-Eleven? You better be on the TT bike... I had been doing plenty LT stuff prior, so that part wasn't as daunting, but on the TT bike, it was harder, of course.

4 x 6’ @ VO2max? **** that for a game of soldiers! The rest is similar to what I’ve been doing, but probably less than you are. Never ridden a TT bike. Hell, I can barely ride a road bike safely. Again, great ride!

big john 07-18-20 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21594650)
Same size. Bigger lot. Needs a little work. #FixerUpper

They really went the extra mile to make the house presentable for the photos.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-32842?view=qv

Reminds me of looking at listings of used cars and they don't even take the piles of trash out of the car for the photos.
You could bulldoze that house and build a new one and still be $200k ahead of the one I posted
I couldn't buy anything here but the rents are ridiculous, too. I keep looking around at other cities and states but Mrs. John is not motivated. It's a problem.

DougRNS 07-18-20 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21594682)
The climb starts at 2200 feet.

https://www.strava.com/segments/666945

My climb started at ~5,000 Ft.

Bah Humbug 07-18-20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21594676)
i have a tendency to overdo it early in the longer distance races, which is why I like 5ks, I can run hard enough to nearly puke and know Iím okay.

You and me both; that's why I like sprint tris. There's not been a 70.3 yet where I haven't overbiked and then started the run like it's a standalone.

LAJ 07-18-20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21594699)
4 x 6í @ VO2max? **** that for a game of soldiers! The rest is similar to what Iíve been doing, but probably less than you are. Never ridden a TT bike. Hell, I can barely ride a road bike safely. Again, great ride!

Thanks again. I'm pretty happy. 2 minutes off the podium, so I'm not setting the world on fire, but they're TT only guys, for the most part. Some of us upper middle aged guys don't actually like crits, and other mass start stuff, and just do TT's. I tried that after I went down, and I couldn't do it. Vo2 on a TT bike is a world that needs to be lived in. It's crazy hard, and you wonder why in heavens name you're messing about like that.

WhyFi 07-18-20 07:19 PM

I looked at TT bikes the other day. :o I mean, online. But still. Yeah, I kinda want one.

seedsbelize 07-18-20 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21594483)
No doubt. Sometimes I think I'm OK being old, so I may not have to witness what's coming down the pike.

I've been thinking that way for years.

seedsbelize 07-18-20 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by moalpha (Post 21594443)
:thumb::thumb::thumb: Great achievement, especially for a man in his...uh...middle years! How hilly, how windy, and how did you train for it?

+1

Velo Vol 07-18-20 07:26 PM

I think that there should be a law that you need to explicitly disclose the inclusion of raisins in any baked goods. Whilst out on our day of family fun, I got a peach crisp only to find friggin' raisins mixed in with the peaches. Damn savages.

Uses for raisins:

cereal
raisin bread/fruitcake
trail mix
rice pudding
plain

That's about it.

seedsbelize 07-18-20 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21594576)
Actually, if I looked up and saw a meteor, I might just raise a glass of champagne to it.

There's a song about that. I'll see if I can find it. Here it is:

seedsbelize 07-18-20 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21594602)
offer is in, multiple offers have to be in by Monday at 5, so now we wait but Iím pretty sure we outbid everyone.

Mrs. H and I got a 2L growler of a nice strawberry rhubarb sour tonight from our local brewery, itís incredible.

What exactly is a strawberry rhubarb sour?

DougRNS 07-18-20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21594735)
Uses for raisins:

cereal
raisin bread/fruitcake
trail mix
rice pudding
plain

That's about it.

you forgot raisin cookies. Farrell Baking Company* made the best. They were sublime.

*A scant few miles from Sharpsville.

I like Raisins in any form.

rjones28 07-18-20 07:41 PM

:cry:

DougRNS 07-18-20 07:43 PM

Uses for raisins:

cereal
raisin bread/fruitcake
trail mix
rice pudding
plain

That's about it.

You also forgot to add "in my opinion "

MoAlpha 07-18-20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21594720)
Thanks again. I'm pretty happy. 2 minutes off the podium, so I'm not setting the world on fire, but they're TT only guys, for the most part. Some of us upper middle aged guys don't actually like crits, and other mass start stuff, and just do TT's. I tried that after I went down, and I couldn't do it. Vo2 on a TT bike is a world that needs to be lived in. It's crazy hard, and you wonder why in heavens name you're messing about like that.

I hadnít done a TT in about 33 years before this season and Iíve found I sort of like the discipline, even though Iím slow and it hurts. Life is unpredictable, but I will never be even slightly tempted to consider thinking about the concept of possibly riding a crit again in this one.

Velo Vol 07-18-20 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 21594764)
you forgot raisin cookies

I did not forget.

MoAlpha 07-18-20 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21594753)

Sounds like something my no-good daughter and her neíer do well man would drink.

LAJ 07-18-20 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21594734)
+1

Thanks!

WhyFi 07-18-20 08:04 PM

Uses for raisins:

cereal
raisin bread/fruitcake
trail mix
rice pudding
plain

That's about it.

No.
No.
.....eh, okay. But I'd prefer blueberries or cranberries.
No.
No.

LAJ 07-18-20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21594788)
I hadnít done a TT in about 33 years before this season and Iíve found I sort of like the discipline, even though Iím slow and it hurts. Life is unpredictable, but I will never be even slightly tempted to consider thinking about the concept of possibly riding a crit again in this one.

It's the drug of choice. I'm not great, and have no sprint, but I still find them fun. If they could go hard for like 3-4 laps, instead of surge, I stand a better chance. I can hang with the surges, but have little left for the end.

WhyFi 07-18-20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21594753)

A sour is a type of beer, very tart. They're often flavored with various fruits.

LAJ 07-18-20 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21594723)
I looked at TT bikes the other day. :o I mean, online. But still. Yeah, I kinda want one.

Ohhh.... The schwag factor is stupid high on those. So much expensive speed to be bought.

kissTheApex 07-18-20 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21594602)
offer is in, multiple offers have to be in by Monday at 5, so now we wait but Iím pretty sure we outbid everyone.

Mrs. H and I got a 2L growler of a nice strawberry rhubarb sour tonight from our local brewery, itís incredible.

Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21594636)
I do not, and I have had a power amp failure twice before with two other amps so I'm always a little suspicious of that. My Traynor was such a PITA about that.

It's a good idea to check, but I'm pretty sure the issue is between the preamp and effect loop send. Everything sounds great with the P2 acting as a preamp going straight in to the effect loop return, and if I take everything out of the loop and plug directly into the amp everything sounds fine as well.

Very frustrating.