Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Colorado: Yield To Bicycles In Bicycle Lanes - Law Takes Effect on July 1, 2020 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1196963)

Shimagnolo 03-30-20 11:49 AM

Colorado: Yield To Bicycles In Bicycle Lanes - Law Takes Effect on July 1, 2020

Colorado: Yield To Bicycles In Bicycle Lanes - Law Takes Effect on July 1, 2020

Yield To Bicycles In Bicycle Lanes - Law Takes Effect on July 1, 2020 ? The Cyclist Lawyer

CB HI 03-30-20 11:53 AM

Very sad that a law has to be written to state what should be obvious.

Shimagnolo 03-30-20 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 21391675)

We already have the 3' rule, and providing video evidence of a cager trying to "share" the bike lane with me was evidence enough for my local PD to take action.

On two other occasions in Boulder, (on the same street), I provided video evidence to Boulder PD and they took action. Here is a story about the first time it happened:
https://303cycling.com/another-examp...erous-drivers/

The second time it happened, BPD used a city law that prohibits motor vehicles from driving in a bicycle lane.

JW Fas 03-30-20 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 21391675)

You could say the same about laws prohibiting murder and r4p3, but evidently it's not obvious to everyone.

While adding laws doesn't prevent the unsavory behavior, by having no law you can't punish said behavior.

CB HI 03-30-20 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by JW Fas (Post 21391825)
You could say the same about laws prohibiting murder and r4p3, but evidently it's not obvious to everyone.

While adding laws doesn't prevent the unsavory behavior, by having no law you can't punish said behavior.

Colorado already has sufficient right of way and stay in your lane laws. By your example, this bike lane yield law is similar to the state writting a new law that says it is illegal to murder someone sitting in a parked car.

Moe Zhoost 03-31-20 06:02 AM

This new law goes far in eliminating ambiguity about ROW. Functionally, though, I doubt it will change motorist behaviour or reduce incidents. It will, however, make it easier to issue a citation.

Shimagnolo 03-31-20 06:55 AM

For reference, these are the pre-existing CO laws which I printed out and keep in my wallet. I do this because I learned from experience that you cannot expect LEO's to be up-to-date on relevant traffic law:

42-4-1008.5. Crowding or threatening bicyclist
(1) The driver of a motor vehicle shall not, in a careless and imprudent manner, drive the vehicle unnecessarily close to, toward, or near a bicyclist.
(2) Any person who violates subsection (1) of this section commits careless driving as described in section 42-4-1402.

42-4-1003. Overtaking a vehicle on the left
(1) The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to the limitations, exceptions, and special rules stated in this section and sections 42-4-1004 to 42-4-1008 :

- (a) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left of the vehicle at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.

- (b) The driver of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicyclist proceeding in the same direction shall allow the bicyclist at least a three-foot separation between the right side of the driver's vehicle, including all mirrors or other projections, and the left side of the bicyclist at all times.

- (c) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of the driver's vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

(2) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class A traffic infraction.

BobbyG 03-31-20 08:10 AM

Yeah, it's nice to have something in writing, and no, it doesn't make a real difference on the street.

sean.hwy 04-03-20 11:06 AM

Is it against the law ( not just A-hole move ) to pass the bike on the left, then make a sharp right turn in front of me requiring me to almost have to LOCK up my brakes? Usually they try to turn into a grocery store or something like that. The car comes to compete stop as they go into the drive way slowly.

Notso_fastLane 04-06-20 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by sean.hwy (Post 21398772)
Is it against the law ( not just A-hole move ) to pass the bike on the left, then make a sharp right turn in front of me requiring me to almost have to LOCK up my brakes? Usually they try to turn into a grocery store or something like that. The car comes to compete stop as they go into the drive way slowly.

The classic right hook. Yes, it is illegal in most states. Some states might not have it in writing, but it should be.

rydabent 04-06-20 09:36 AM

Here in Lincoln Ne, we passed a law like that about 5 years ago. It works fine.

Daniel4 04-06-20 01:57 PM

It's cheaper writing a new law and publicizing it than to send everyone back to driving school reminding them all how to drive safely in these situations.